Search

"Someone on this aircraft is using the internet"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by f9999
That phenomenon never ceases to amaze me. About a year ago I sat next to a younger (early 20s?) woman in domestic F who literally broke up with her boyfriend between boarding and takeoff. I would have said something but I was so flabbergasted at the "I just don't know if it's working out... yeah, maybe it's time we... you always say that... OK I have to go the flight is taking off... " that I sat there in mute silence. Who the hell raised these people I have no idea.
Some would have sensed an opportunity there .

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: Platinum AAdvantage, Gold HiltonHHonors, SPG, USAir, Delta Skymiles, A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by Spiff
Near field vs Far field, actually. And definitely not linear.
Does anyone have a link to published information on the interference of wireless signals on board? What exactly causes a problem and have there been cases when a plane has crashed or deviated from its regular course due to wireless usage? I can't help but think that if wireless use was that dangerous then the airlines should have much tighter control of this. Currently they just announce that cell phones are prohibited and maybe monitor the signals sometimes. But the potential for someone to turn on their phone until they are detected is always there and I wonder (and doubt) how dangerous is that really. I recently read that Chinese airlines have increased their fine for talking on your cell while landing and take-off. Additionally, there are talks of phones that will have an "in-flight mode" capability. Check this out... http://www.textually.org/textually/a.../07/013063.htm
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:01 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tokatya
Does anyone have a link to published information on the interference of wireless signals on board? What exactly causes a problem and have there been cases when a plane has crashed or deviated from its regular course due to wireless usage? I can't help but think that if wireless use was that dangerous then the airlines should have much tighter control of this. Currently they just announce that cell phones are prohibited and maybe monitor the signals sometimes. But the potential for someone to turn on their phone until they are detected is always there and I wonder (and doubt) how dangerous is that really. I recently read that Chinese airlines have increased their fine for talking on your cell while landing and take-off. Additionally, there are talks of phones that will have an "in-flight mode" capability. Check this out... http://www.textually.org/textually/a.../07/013063.htm
That's the problem. There has been some anectodal evidence of interference but no conclusive, scientific proof.

Maybe I should apply for a grant from T-Mobile and spend some time conducting other research at 36,000 ft....
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
See posts 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 34, 41, 42, 43, and 44 in this thread, if you really want your question answered.

*note* - reading prior posts will not increase one's post count.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:23 pm

I remember my teachers who are A&P licensed mechanics that there really is no interference on board these planes coming from tronics. There may lie some truth into that. Anyhow they offer connexion service on board now sooo...
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Does anyone have a link to published information on the interference of wireless signals on board? What exactly causes a problem and have there been cases when a plane has crashed or deviated from its regular course due to wireless usage?
Cell phone use in flight causes interference with cell phone systems on the ground (because the signal has much greater 'visibility'), not with in-flight systems. That's why it's the FCC, not the FAA, that prohibits their use.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:38 am

Without even thinking about the issues that the signal might cause to equipment, I personally don't want people in a plane yacking on the cell phone.

It is bad enough in an open area to have to put up with some of them, but can you imagine when Mr. BIG MOUTH and Ms. BIG MOUTH start using cell phones during a long flight and you are trying to sleep or relax????
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by f9999
That phenomenon never ceases to amaze me. About a year ago I sat next to a younger (early 20s?) woman in domestic F who literally broke up with her boyfriend between boarding and takeoff. I would have said something but I was so flabbergasted at the "I just don't know if it's working out... yeah, maybe it's time we... you always say that... OK I have to go the flight is taking off... " that I sat there in mute silence. Who the hell raised these people I have no idea.
Save for the early 20s part, it was probably me.

I ended a long distance relationship after an awkward goodbye at the airport where I tried but couldn't seem to get my point across so I called once I boarded the plane.

(To point, I don't think you would have heard my conversation as I try to be uber-considerate of my seatmates... but sometimes you NEED to make a call and doing so quietly is allowed.)
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Does anyone have a link to published information on the interference of wireless signals on board?
What? Nobody watches Mythbusters?

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._on_plane.html
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:37 am

This past Friday, 7/28 I was on flight 1181 and I was able to connect via Verizon Wireless about 10 minutes after takeoff. I was tempted to keep the connection open, but I signed off. I kept on checking its status for the entire duration of the flight. It finally stopped working as we started our initial descent into DFW.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I can totally picture this. Lighters come out and everything...
Ironically, in today's no-smoking facilities/society, some bands now encourage the audience to turn on their cell phone screens and wave 'em around during "the slow song," instead of using a lighter. I'm not talkin' about Foghat or White Snake, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.