FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AMR reports $291 million in net earnings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/580680-amr-reports-291-million-net-earnings.html)

FWAAA Jul 19, 06 8:02 am

AMR reports $291 million in net earnings

AA has finally turned the corner:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060719/daw011.html?.v=69

ResQTekBill Jul 19, 06 8:06 am

This is good to see. With fare increases holding these days, I think this bodes well for AA, even if it means a bit more in travel expense for my personal and self-financed business travel.

JGR01 Jul 19, 06 8:17 am

Great news!

I guess all those nickel and dime cuts (change in salad provisioning and change in the drink fruits and all) have helped too! Wonder how much 'profit' they made on the buy-onboard krap food program!

What the article mentions in terms of 'achievements' is interesting. They are touting the Bag-Check program and the Credit-Card-Onboard program as being 'money makers'. HA. Pure marketing .. why would someone fly AA just because of these programs?!?!

Guess the old 'filling up the planes with pax' trick has worked! Aprey and the Greyhound Bus model are working well!

Glad they made contributions to the benfits programs! Gotta try and keep the employees happy!

fredmartens Jul 19, 06 9:04 am

This really is wecome news. Good for AA, hope it keeps up!

chsb Jul 19, 06 10:06 am

Good news for AA they are also sitting on a nice stack of cash as well.

Deltafan2006 Jul 19, 06 10:28 am

Thats My American Airlines

KL808 Jul 19, 06 10:33 am

Fantastic news. ^

Now the goal should be for a full year profit. I wonder if this can be achieved with oil rising?

Summer has always been a good time for airlines, I just hope AA can keep the momentum.

Drew

JDiver Jul 19, 06 10:36 am

With rising oil prices, etc. that ain't bad at all for Q2! ^ We'll hope the usually good Q3 report is even better and that this truly represents a turnaround. With the NGBC and return of small amenities like cloth o-shibori up front, if they don't get too greedy and price the new J so high they chase revenenue business flyers to JL, IB etc. maybe the corner has been turned and some people can start working on some AAttitude improvement as well.

Nachtswerg Jul 19, 06 11:15 am

I was glad to see that announcement, as well. While it hurts my personal bottom line, it means that my AA points should be better secured!

ricktoronto Jul 19, 06 11:19 am

They sold 5,820,000 lunch boxes. Gross margin of 99%.

glenngpr Jul 19, 06 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
They sold 5,820,000 lunch boxes. Gross margin of 99%.

Gross is the operative word.

IceTrojan Jul 19, 06 12:26 pm

Excellent news.

Now, I just hope their accountants didn't graduate from the University of Enron.

ByrdluvsAWACO Jul 19, 06 3:16 pm

Great news. Hopefully it's enough to keep the bean-counters away from AAdvantage.

justageek Jul 19, 06 3:40 pm

Of all the major non-bankrupt carriers I checked (LUV, UAUA, CAL, LCC, and AMR), AMR was up the least today. The rest were all up 5-8%, while AMR was up just 1%. Does anyone know why the other airlines--which didn't announce earnings except for LUV--were up substantially more than AMR?

Blumie Jul 19, 06 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Of all the major non-bankrupt carriers I checked (LUV, UAUA, CAL, LCC, and AMR), AMR was up the least today. The rest were all up 5-8%, while AMR was up just 1%. Does anyone know why the other airlines--which didn't announce earnings except for LUV--were up substantially more than AMR?

I don't have the specific answer to your question, but what moves stock prices generally is not an what is reported in an earnings release on an absolute basis, but rather what is reported relative to what "the street" is expecting. If stock analysts had been expecting AA to report net income of $500 million, for example, the stock certainly would have gone down, rather than up, with a report of $291 million of net income.

BTW, congratulations, connected1. Must be good times in Fort Worth.