FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AMR reports $291 million in net earnings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/580680-amr-reports-291-million-net-earnings.html)

tommy777 Jul 19, 2006 3:03 pm

Impressing indeed. It must be a combination of the concept "a lot less legroom throughout coach" and lunch boxes that put AA ahead :D

Seriously, this is a good sign. Oil prices have dropped a lot the last couple of days, let's hope they go below 70USD by Friday and stay there for a while

West Coast Ace Jul 19, 2006 5:12 pm

The economy is doing very well, despite what the doom and gloomers (with their political agenda) want you to believe. Business and tourist travel are doing nicely.

Ok AA - another quarter or two like this and it will be time for that 787 order!

shoodawg Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Same day that I pass the Two Million Mile lifetime miles milestone. It's a beautiful day!!!

Abidjan Jul 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Congrats! ^

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Same day that I pass the Two Million Mile lifetime miles milestone. It's a beautiful day!!!

Hroma Jul 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Congrats! To AA

WRCSolberg Jul 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
The economy is doing very well, despite what the doom and gloomers (with their political agenda) want you to believe. Business and tourist travel are doing nicely.

Ok AA - another quarter or two like this and it will be time for that 787 order!

You'll see new narrow bodies before you see 787s.....

spurg Jul 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Excellent news.

Now, I just hope their accountants didn't graduate from the University of Enron.

Or even flunk out...

ContinentalFan Jul 19, 2006 10:24 pm

AMR has done very well this quarter--I predict that CO will surprise everyone tomorrow! This profit has been in the offing for the past few quarters. The big challenge for AMR is to tidy up its balance sheet!

Connected1 Jul 20, 2006 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
BTW, congratulations, connected1. Must be good times in Fort Worth.

Thanks.

In HDQ, we're always thinking about next year - so much so that I have found myself writing '07 on my personal checks. The celebration of our 2Q06 profit happened in fall '05 for me. While seasonality plays a big role in 2Q, it is nevertheless sweet to see a large positive number on the board.

It's good to see the company headed back in the right direction again. There are thousands of AMR employees out there that really deserve it.

MJonTravel Jul 20, 2006 7:18 am

This excellent news....

Now...to keep it going and pay down debt! And maybe even order a new airplane one of these days.

Blumie Jul 20, 2006 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Connected1
The celebration of our 2Q06 profit happened in fall '05 for me.

Wow, do you really have nine months of visibility into your numbers?

This, of course, reinforces a prior point, in which someone sounded surprised that AMR's stock was up only 1% after the announcement. If AA's visibility into its numbers is that good, and AMR has communicated this to stock analysts (which I am sure it has), the positive results would already have been reflected in the stock price at the time the announcement was made.

chsb Jul 20, 2006 9:11 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
You'll see new narrow bodies before you see 787s.....

That's precisely what I was thinking. Maybe they move up delivery of some of the previous deliveries that were pushed back last year.

Blumie Jul 20, 2006 9:13 am

Originally Posted by chsb
That's precisely what I was thinking. Maybe they move up delivery of some of the previous deliveries that were pushed back last year.

Ok, kids, let's not get ahead of ourselves. A small profit for a debt laden company is unlikely to translate into a large commitment for new aircraft purchases anytime soon.

chsb Jul 20, 2006 9:51 am

Ok, kids, let's not get ahead of ourselves. A small profit for a debt laden company is unlikely to translate into a large commitment for new aircraft purchases anytime soon.

I was only dreaming. :p

WRCSolberg Jul 20, 2006 10:27 am

Thanks, dad. :rolleyes: