New Carry-on restrictions at LHR

Old Jul 17, 06, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
New Carry-on restrictions at LHR

I was told by a co-worker today that when he returned from LHR to SJC last week, they have new restrictions regarding carry-ons. Must fit in small box (smaller than most roll-aboards) or it must be checked. Apparently they have new (smaller) screening devices for carry-ons. Has anyone else experienced this? I was glad to find out, as I usually have a carry-on, and will be traveling to LHR next month.

Cat22
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Are these fitting boxes for the carry-ons smaller than what are used currently in the United States? I find it hard to believe that BAA would institute bag sizes smaller than the U.S. ones as most of the planes in and out of LHR have bins that can hold roll-a-boards that are a good deal larger than what most domestic US planes can (because of the widebodies).
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The new BA hand baggage limit at 22x18x10 is actually larger than the previous 22x16x8, and at 50 inches total compares with the AA limit of 45 in!
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nbevan
The new BA hand baggage limit at 22x18x10 is actually larger than the previous 22x16x8, and at 50 inches total compares with the AA limit of 45 in!
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry about the incorrect alert.

cat22
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Do note that this includes the wheels too, so if the wheels stick out do measure out to the wheel edge

Dave
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT. Marriott PLT.
They did have a smaller than normal sizer at CDG in April. The bags that were perfectly fine going to Paris were not allowed to be carried on for the return--not without a fight and a 1 time "exception" by the agent. We never check bags, and had not done so on 10 prior trips to Paris--same bags every time--and they were not overpacked.
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Well technically it doesn't compare to AA's (other than one can compare 45 and 50 and see 50 is greater than 45) but exceeds AA's. Good luck ramming 22" wheels first in an overhead though. 20" is tough enough.
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The BAA (British Airport Authority) sizer allows for no pushing or cramming the bag

The restrictions are causing a long discussion on the British Airways part of this Forum. A lot of unhappy people.http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568688
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
IT'S a REAl ALARM

It's not a false alarm, they ARE clearly moving into a more stringent policy and they announced it as such when I was connecting through LHR this weekend. A BA GA walked by and asked me to bring my bag over to have it checked to see if it exceeded their restrictions.

I have a standard Samsonite hardcase carryon that fit into their measuring box EXCEPT for the wheels which prevented it from sliding in. I showed them that it was fine widthwise since it slid in very smoothly when I held the case upside down. The length was also fine as I lined my bag up with the box and showed that it was 2 inches shorter than their frame. It was the wheels that prevented it from sliding into the little box area (by around 1 inch) and they said, "Madame, this bag is much too big." "But it's just the wheels, the suitcase itself doesn't exceed the measurements." They were enforcing this rule rather hap-hazardly and they allowed several people with huge bags (relative to mine anyway) on without any questions, seemingly recognizing them as business travelers. I heard one GA tell another, "he is flying business" when she saw the other start to approach him.

Mind you I was wearing a skirt, heels, and a belted linen jacket but it didn't matter to them that I might also be traveling for work and this might be a real pain for me to check this. I was so annoyed to board and see that the overhead bins would have easily fit my bag, no problem, even with the wheels, widthwise.

Anyway, now my question is, if they also enforce this in IST on my way back, will I be forced to claim my luggage at LHR or will they put it through AA to ORD? The answer makes a big difference regarding what kind of gifts to bring back since if I have to check anyway, I'm willing to buy some fragile items to carry on.
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Good to see it. Maybe that will minimise the scramble to be first on board so you can monopolise the overhead space. It will also mean faster boarding. If airports had a decent baggage handling system that delivered checked bags within (say) 15 min of landing, we'd all would be better off.
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Check out the British Airways topic for more info

Originally Posted by fishee
It's not a false alarm, they ARE clearly moving into a more stringent policy and they announced it as such when I was connecting through LHR this weekend. A BA GA walked by and asked me to bring my bag over to have it checked to see if it exceeded their restrictions.

I have a standard Samsonite hardcase carryon that fit into their measuring box EXCEPT for the wheels which prevented it from sliding in. I showed them that it was fine widthwise since it slid in very smoothly when I held the case upside down. The length was also fine as I lined my bag up with the box and showed that it was 2 inches shorter than their frame. It was the wheels that prevented it from sliding into the little box area (by around 1 inch) and they said, "Madame, this bag is much too big." "But it's just the wheels, the suitcase itself doesn't exceed the measurements." They were enforcing this rule rather hap-hazardly and they allowed several people with huge bags (relative to mine anyway) on without any questions, seemingly recognizing them as business travelers. I heard one GA tell another, "he is flying business" when she saw the other start to approach him.

Mind you I was wearing a skirt, heels, and a belted linen jacket but it didn't matter to them that I might also be traveling for work and this might be a real pain for me to check this. I was so annoyed to board and see that the overhead bins would have easily fit my bag, no problem, even with the wheels, widthwise.

Anyway, now my question is, if they also enforce this in IST on my way back, will I be forced to claim my luggage at LHR or will they put it through AA to ORD? The answer makes a big difference regarding what kind of gifts to bring back since if I have to check anyway, I'm willing to buy some fragile items to carry on.
They have been bashing this around for weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568688
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
They did have a smaller than normal sizer at CDG in April. The bags that were perfectly fine going to Paris were not allowed to be carried on for the return--not without a fight and a 1 time "exception" by the agent. We never check bags, and had not done so on 10 prior trips to Paris--same bags every time--and they were not overpacked.

That is what I heard about LHR, that they made some exceptions because it was a new restriction, but they were refusing some bags. I agree, it will undoubtedly speed up boarding, which is a good thing.

cat22
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:28 pm

Only LHR?

Does this apply only to LHR? Or does it extend to other British airports -- e.g., GLA.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT
BA will check the luggage all the way to ORD through AA, yes? It's an AA codeshare flight.
Old Jul 17, 06, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I love the hypocracy on this forum.

When we get a report of lost luggage, everyone on this forum jumps on the poster and says "you idiot, that's why you should never check a bag!"

When we get a report that carryon rules are being tightened, everyone on this forum says "great! this will [speed up boarding, let me board by lazy butt at the last minute and still have plenty of empty overhead storage space, ...]"

You gotta pick one or the other, folks.

Believe it or not, some travelers aren't on one-day business trips -- they need a bunch of stuff, and they don't want it to disappear or be delayed several days.

Is that too hard to understand?

If the carryon fascists would like to pay those of us who actually need to take stuff with us to have these items shipped by a service like FedEx that uses package scanning and has a nearly-100% delivery rate, then by all means.

Otherwise, please stop cheering when the already annoying carryon rules are tightened even more.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: