Wiki Posts
Search

F FA: "You're Just an Upgrade and Don't Deserve it"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP
F FA: "You're Just an Upgrade and Don't Deserve it"

An older friend with platinum status just returned via American from California and confided she wouldn't be doing it again. She'd upgraded using paid-for stickers. When meal time arrived, she was asked if she wanted the Caesar salad for her meal."Is that the only choice? Usually you have two," she politely responded, noticing that first class was not full and she was one of the first asked. The flight attendant's response was one that should shock any frequent flyer that works hard on maintaining an elite status.
"You're just an upgrade and don't deserve it!"
Very negative article for all carriers, but AA particularly

Passengers hit by turbulence - Royal Gazette
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Highly unlikely.

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
I'd have been tempted to respond: "You're just a worthless old hag that has a job because of a greedy union, but I'm not complaining," but probably would have just written AA CS to complain.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP;*Wood PLT; HH Diamond
The related story sounds odd to me, not saying there is not a single FA out there who might say such an inappropriate thing, just does not add up. The flight manifest only indicates UPGR on those pax that got their upgrade late, when it went to airport control (given by the GA).

This report is second hand at best and even the article indicates the comment was questioned by the writer as well.

T
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Whether the incident really happened or not, I think most would agree the author's command of the English language is shockingly bad.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I could only imagine that the FA was either poking fun and has been quoted out of context - or the whole incident was made up. I simply do not believe that any American FA would be that rude.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:19 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have heard a lot of rude comemnts from AA FAs in the past, yet this really is a bit much.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HH GLD
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I have heard a lot of rude comemnts from AA FAs in the past, yet this really is a bit much.

And lets be honest.... I think a good chunck of people in F anymore are on upgrades. The service and luxury isn't there anymore to just pay full fare for F... and who cares if someone is an upgrade or not, if they are upgraded they must be spending ENOUGH money on AA so that FA can keep her job.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Not a chance that this story is true.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FutureCEO1982
And lets be honest.... I think a good chunck of people in F anymore are on upgrades.
I think a good chunk of people in F have always been upgrades - more so in the past than now. I think over then last few years with the increase in availability and use of YUPs, more seats are actualy being sold now than previously (that is if you consider a $850-1800 YUP paid FC). When I fly HNL or on Transcons it is usually on YUPs. Caribbean and midcons can also result in some very competitive prices for YUPs. Last year I flew BWI-IND via DFW on a YUP for $650 (wanted the extra EQPs).
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stratofortress
Whether the incident really happened or not, I think most would agree the author's command of the English language is shockingly bad.
I have long suspected that the only requirement to be a newspaper reporter is a body temperature at least 2 degrees above room temperature. This is further proof.

Amusing that he complains about flight delays, then waxes extatic about Amtrak, where I guess every train runs on time.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I could only imagine that the FA was either poking fun and has been quoted out of context - or the whole incident was made up. I simply do not believe that any American FA would be that rude.
Agreed 100%. The article referenced in the OP is so poorly written and full of rambling rants that I simply don't believe the incident really happened. Nothing to see here folks, move on....
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stratofortress
Not necessarily so ... it's a Bermudan newspaper and the linguistic style is bound to be different. I just skimmed the article but didn't notice any egregious errors in spelling or grammar.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
I have long suspected that the only requirement to be a newspaper reporter is a body temperature at least 2 degrees above room temperature. This is further proof.
I thought your opinion was that this applied only to the NYT?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:06 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
OK Frequent Fliers, lets look at the Statement.

"When was the last time anybody flying American Airlines was offered a Ceasar Salad as a Choice of Entree"?

Just my observation that this story does not ring 100% TRUE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.