Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for a fee offered at checkin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Upgrades for a fee offered at checkin

While checking in, I have recently seen LAN offering upgrades for $250 on a 5-hour flight and United offering upgrades for $50 on a 1.5 hour flight. Does AA ever do this?? We had award flights to Helsinki returning from KIEV in August and I would definitely be willing to pay for an upgrade on DFW to Zurich and LHR to Chicago legs.
btw, on the LAN flight (santiago to Easter Island) we declined offer to purchase upgrade but were later pulled out of line and re-directed to Bus class!
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:11 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
My sister was offered one at the automated kiosk at SJU-MCO for $135.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
About a year ago they began offering space available upgrades to non-elites at check in for a fee depending on the length of the flight.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:18 am
Suspended

On "domestic" flights AA has been doing this officially for some time:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500368

On International one will see very sporadic reports of for-pay upgrades being offered mostly from non-U.S. airports.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Jane361, I hate to use the "S" word and be accused of being a nasty person, but a Search might reveal international counter upgrades are offered periodically at a variety of AA (mainly international) locations. There seems to be little in the way of consistency with these, and if one is genuinely interested, the best thing to do is ask upon checking in.

As Abraham Lincoln is alleged to have said, “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

Other airlines offer these - CX was offering them at DPS last month, FJ generally offers them LAX-NAN and NAN-LAX (USD $750 one way,) LA has been known to offer them, etc. You of course lucked out on LA, getting opped up (receiving an operational upgrade.)

What about DFW-ZRH? That is a very popular flight with people on business, and J is filled with revenue payers and the occasional EXP able to wedge in with a VIP or miles + copay. This summer, that flight has even been oversold on occasion, and we have some reports of bumps (Teacher49 one poster?) It is possible, but IMO quite improbable one could buy a counter upgrade on this flight. I don't know about LHR-ORD, as I have never done that flight.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:31 am

Up until a year or two ago, I would see upgrades routinely offered on LGW to DFW flights, for $250. Unfortunately, with the increased traffic, especially during the summertime, you're not likely to see any such offers until mid-Fall or winter, if at all.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:45 am

Manchester to Boston upgrades are often offered for £100($184) albeit on a 757 - coach only service, but US domestic First Class seats.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold
I was recently offered one DFW-HNL for $400. Thought it was a good deal.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
Lan $90

MAD-FRA-MAD on their new biz and a/c A340 for 2.30 minutes flight.. i was coming back on same day, both ways upgraded to Biz class for total $180, had some best wines with caviar and champ. on boarding
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Robert5988
Manchester to Boston upgrades are often offered for £100($184) albeit on a 757 - coach only service, but US domestic First Class seats.
This kind of upgrade is also offered on SNN-BOS service, but the First seats are available to elites without the upgrade fee. The sign at the check-in refers to it as "premium economy."
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jane361
While checking in, I have recently seen LAN offering upgrades for $250 on a 5-hour flight and United offering upgrades for $50 on a 1.5 hour flight. Does AA ever do this?? We had award flights to Helsinki returning from KIEV in August and I would definitely be willing to pay for an upgrade on DFW to Zurich and LHR to Chicago legs.
btw, on the LAN flight (santiago to Easter Island) we declined offer to purchase upgrade but were later pulled out of line and re-directed to Bus class!
I've heard that someone saw an unusual sign at NRT.
Upgrades for $500 from economy to business and $600 from business to first.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think I recall others mentioning upgrades for sale (or rent?) at NRT, albeit inconsistently.

Possibly the most expensive would be FJ (AA codesahres) selling upgrades Y to J at USD $750 one way, LAX-NAN or return.

Originally Posted by little bunny
I've heard that someone saw an unusual sign at NRT.
Upgrades for $500 from economy to business and $600 from business to first.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I think I recall others mentioning upgrades for sale (or rent?) at NRT, albeit inconsistently.

Possibly the most expensive would be FJ (AA codesahres) selling upgrades Y to J at USD $750 one way, LAX-NAN or return.

Flew NRT-LAX on Monday. There was a note on the the AC check-in counter offering $500 upgrades to business and something similar to first. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether these are offered because coach is oversold and AA is trying to collect some cash before they start upgrading people for free?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by cmvinsk
Flew NRT-LAX on Monday. There was a note on the the AC check-in counter offering $500 upgrades to business and something similar to first. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether these are offered because coach is oversold and AA is trying to collect some cash before they start upgrading people for free?
There have been some other posts where people at LGW and LHR were offered upgrades for a fee at the counter and declined them only to be given an upgraded boarding pass at the departure lounge because coach was oversold.

So far, except for the signs at airports like MAN and SNN where there is only "premium economy" sevice, it seems like the upgrades reported at FlyerTalk on AA have been targeted to elites (i.e. the check-in agent verbally made the offer; there was no sign) or to AC members.

I think the particular station or country manager seems to have a lot of leeway on this given the inconsistency across the system and the fact that almost all of the reported upgrades are at international stations.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by thesimflyer
MAD-FRA-MAD on their new biz and a/c A340 for 2.30 minutes flight.. i was coming back on same day, both ways upgraded to Biz class for total $180, had some best wines with caviar and champ. on boarding
Not doubting your word, but somewhat surprised that LAN would have caviar in biz class on an intra-Europe flight when they had taken it off their long haul three-class flights in first. Now if it was a little amuse bouche that included a caviar garnish, I could see that.

Then again, nothing the airlines does surprises me anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.