Original Poster

New twist of the Citi AA 25th anniversary card

A big advertisement in the Travel pages of local newspaper:

www.miles5.citicards.com 1-888-fly-4924

20K after $250 in purchases
5K additional after one year anniversary
No annual fee for the first 12 months

Offer expires Nov 20, 06.

(as usual, it is for the new accounts only.)
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Happy
A big advertisement in the Travel pages of local newspaper:

www.miles5.citicards.com 1-888-fly-4924

20K after $250 in purchases
5K additional after one year anniversary
No annual fee for the first 12 months

Offer expires Nov 20, 06.

(as usual, it is for the new accounts only.)
Wow, this one actually seems rather good. Anyone know how timely the milage posting is? What the annual fee is after the first year? Can the $250 be for anyting, or does it have to be on AA?

This one is defintely tempting...

Steve B.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Same offer in Chicago Tribune travel section. Last 5000 miles will cost you the annual fee. It's a better deal than 25yr promo.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Rather interesting offer, but do be sure you read the footnotes pop-up:

3 As of May 11, 2006, the variable APR for purchases is 17.99%. The APR for cash advances is a variable rate of 22.99%. If you default under any Card Agreement that you have with Citi, Citi may automatically increase to the variable Default APR which equals 31.99%. The annual fee for the Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard and the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card is $0 for the first twelve months, $85 and $75, respectively, thereafter. Minimum finance charge: 50 cents. Foreign Purchase Transaction Fee: 3% of purchase amount after its conversion into U.S. dollars. Transaction Fee for Cash Advances: 3% of the amount of each cash advance, $5 minimum. Transaction Fee for Balance Transfers: 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, minimum $5, maximum $75 for the Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard and $50 for the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card.

Steve B.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The terms and conditions are very similar, if not identical, to the existing Citi AAdvantage card. Who would carry a balance or use it for balance transfer on the airline cards anyway? There are other cards that for such purposes.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
The terms and conditions are very similar, if not identical, to the existing Citi AAdvantage card. Who would carry a balance or use it for balance transfer on the airline cards anyway? There are other cards that for such purposes.

Many are not so savy or disciplined.

It a consumer wants to maximize their personal gain, and still needs to carray a balance, they will find a non-rewards 0% card to carry a balance on, while using their rewards card to earn points/miles/cash and pay it off every month in full.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
Last 5000 miles will cost you the annual fee.
Not necessarily. I believe Citi will give a pro-rated refund of the annual fee if you cancel. And depending on exactly how quickly Citi posts the bonus miles, you can get a full refund after the fee posts (at the end of the 13th billing cycle) if you cancel the card within 30 days.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:48 am
In memoriam

This is an interesting twist on the May 18 only 25th Anniversery offer which was for 25K bonus after $250 spend with annual fee waived. Thanks to OP for posting this.

Looks like the idea is to push you to pay the annual fee after the waiver runs out rather than dumping the card when fee time comes around.

Personally, I would likely go for another offer such as 20K bonus, first year fee waiver and cancel after 7-9 months to reapply and get another bonus. Indeed, if you are annual fee adverse (a good thing in these days of fee waivers, IMHO) this offer is really the same as the 20K bonus offer. For one 20K bonus, fee waived offer see:
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omepage_Bottom

Perhaps the most interesting part here is that Citi is advertsing the offer to the general public. You have to wonder if the annual fee isn't dead or dying when they do this.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Jul 3, 2006 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by acf573
Not necessarily. I believe Citi will give a pro-rated refund of the annual fee if you cancel. And depending on exactly how quickly Citi posts the bonus miles, you can get a full refund after the fee posts (at the end of the 13th billing cycle) if you cancel the card within 30 days.

Great Idea. Didn't think about this but this does seem logical. Thank you and the OP.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Perhaps the most interesting part here is that Citi is advertsing the offer to the general public.
That's the part that bothers me. Citi stop it!!! There's already enough demand for award seats. :-)
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rrgg
That's the part that bothers me. Citi stop it!!! There's already enough demand for award seats. :-)
You would be surprised by how many people dont care. I tried to talk 2 friends to apply for the UA 20K and the Citi 20K for months, and neither one ever submits his application. One of them has such stupid argument - why I need UA miles, I mostly fly Southwest (it is true that those towns he go to, tend to be served by Southwest). Yet this guy flew to China with his sister for a 10 day trip few weeks ago, and on UA to boot. I said so Southwest cannot fly you to China, huh? I hope you have put in your MP number for your flights. And he didn't. Can you believe that?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You would be surprised by how many people dont care. I tried to talk 2 friends to apply for the UA 20K and the Citi 20K for months, and neither one ever submits his application. One of them has such stupid argument - why I need UA miles, I mostly fly Southwest (it is true that those towns he go to, tend to be served by Southwest). Yet this guy flew to China with his sister for a 10 day trip few weeks ago, and on UA to boot. I said so Southwest cannot fly you to China, huh? I hope you have put in your MP number for your flights. And he didn't. Can you believe that?
It's actually very easy to believe. Most people are not mileage- and status-obsessed nerds like us. They have real lives and don't reas FT

Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:47 am

My partner actually does that. I applied for an AAdvantage account for him (because I didn't want the miles to go to waste), enrolled him in elite challenge and usually take care of all his reservations. He once said to me, you can do whatever with the miles, I'll donate it to you if you want. If only transfering miles between accounts were free of charge.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
Same offer in Chicago Tribune travel section. Last 5000 miles will cost you the annual fee. It's a better deal than 25yr promo.
I don't see how, since both are fee-free for the first year and the 25th anniversary promo gives you the entire 25K miles after that first $250 purchase. No waiting a year, you can cancel as soon as the miles post, and no need to renew and pay even a pro-rated fraction of the annual fee for the second year to get the last 5K miles.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
I don't see how, since both are fee-free for the first year and the 25th anniversary promo gives you the entire 25K miles after that first $250 purchase. No waiting a year, you can cancel as soon as the miles post, and no need to renew and pay even a pro-rated fraction of the annual fee for the second year to get the last 5K miles.
I think he's just unaware that there were 2 anniversary promos for 25k. One with fee and one without.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.