Getting AAdvantage Miles to Qatar

 
Old Jun 30, 06, 1:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20
Getting AAdvantage Miles to Qatar

I need to go to Doha, Qatar from Chicago in December for 4-5 days in between December 15th and December 25th. However, as I look at my options, the most cost effective on OneWorld is AA to LHR and then BA to DOH via BAH. However, I don't think I will gain much of anything for miles on BA in economy. So, I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions such as via DEL without the price being too expensive. Thanks!

Brian
Bullsman89 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 1:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
For a base of $1595 ($1706 all-in) you can do ORD-LHR-BAH-DOH all on AA flight numbers (with the latter half on codeshares with BA) in K class, meaning you will earn full AA miles and EQPs, and the fare in refundable. Travel dates are departing on 12/17 and returning on 12/23.

A cheaper option would be to do a $1411 base fare ($1530 all in) leaving on 12/18 and returning on 12/23. All AA flight numbers again (via BA codeshare), and essentially the same trip as the above fare, but you have to go ORD-LGA/EWR and then JFK-LHR on AA, instead of being able to travel on the non-stop ORD-LHR. This books into N and K class.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 1:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Posts: 5,800
There is a AA flight (codeshare) that might work ..

AA 86 0 ORD 12/15/06 05:15PM LHR 12/16/06 06:50AM
AA (BA) 6421 1 LHR 12/16/06 10:15AM DOH 12/16/06 09:30PM
JGR01 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 2:51 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by Bullsman89
I need to go to Doha, Qatar from Chicago in December for 4-5 days in between December 15th and December 25th. However, as I look at my options, the most cost effective on OneWorld is AA to LHR and then BA to DOH via BAH. However, I don't think I will gain much of anything for miles on BA in economy. So, I was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions such as via DEL without the price being too expensive. Thanks!
aa.com's "Dates Flexible" search is really perfect for this kind of query. In this case, it gives a variety of prices and flight leaving on the 16-19th.

It will only find AA flights, but that is exactly what you want if you are looking to maximize miles.

I may be showing my age, but I also find the old-fashioned paper-type schedule (both AA and oneworld) in pdf format as a very effective way of finding out who flys where. In this case, it says that the only oneworld flights to DEL are from Chicago, Hong Kong and London, so it will not be a viable routing going to DOH, even if the geography was more suitable.
yul2005 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 3:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by yul2005
It will only find AA flights, but that is exactly what you want if you are looking to maximize miles.
Dates Flexible will show codeshare flights too.

Originally Posted by yul2005
I may be showing my age, but I also find the old-fashioned paper-type schedule (both AA and oneworld) in pdf format as a very effective way of finding out who flys where. In this case, it says that the only oneworld flights to DEL are from Chicago, Hong Kong and London, so it will not be a viable routing going to DOH, even if the geography was more suitable.
Instead of this, the downloadable time table is so much easier. Cant understand why anyone would use the paper one...
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 3:44 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Dates Flexible will show codeshare flights too.
Didn't say AA-metal. AA flights meant AA flight numbers, but perhaps that was not clear...

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Instead of this, the downloadable time table is so much easier. Cant understand why anyone would use the paper one...
I could use age as the excuse, but in reality, the paper-equivalent (not paper but pdf on computer) always does what I want it to, whereas the electronic version sometimes make decision on what it *thinks* I want that do not match my reality.
yul2005 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 06, 8:24 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 4,171
Originally Posted by yul2005
In this case, it says that the only oneworld flights to DEL are from Chicago, Hong Kong and London, so it will not be a viable routing going to DOH, even if the geography was more suitable.
In December, there will also be AY flights HEL-DEL and all AY flights earn 100% miles in economy. OTOH, this doesn't help at all in getting fron North America to Qatar.
ffay005 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: