Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch what's in the cheese omelets!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Watch what's in the cheese omelets!

Just got off a flight from SAN to DFW. We were lucky enough to get upgrades, and this isn't really a complaint -- more of a warning. We were given the usual choice of cereal or omelet. When I asked what kind of omelet the FA said "cheese." When I asked what kind of cheese, he said he didn't know. We took our chances and were surprised to find Velveeta! It really wasn't that great. So beware if the FA can't tell you what's in the omelet, and you don't care for Velveeta cheese, you may want to choose the cereal.

Other than that everything was OK, although no pre-flight drink, no help with jacket, nor return of jacket after landing. Still prefer the front those few times we can wrangle it under the much tighter upgrade availablity situation.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's not cheese! Velveeta is "pasteurized process cheese food" - whatever that is. "Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE." I love their marketing - "Melts better and 1/3 less fat and calories than cheddar cheese!" 20% of DV for saturated fat, 17% of DV for sodium for the 28g serving. Soylent orange? ShAAme!

(One more reason I choose the cereal... But I suspect the price of Velveeta may be headed up with the escalating price of oil and other petroleum-based products.)
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:48 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Um.. I am from Wisconsin originally . and velveeta is not cheese!

Then again, you are from CA where the ads say the Happy Cows live that produce good cheese too!

The FA could have told you (like they have told me) it was Cheddar Cheese or something. To me, cheddar cheese when it is 5+ years old makes a FINE omelet or choice to eat with an apple.

Was it the SouthWestern Omelet? That cheese is not horrible ... tho is processed. The WORST omelet in my memory was the BDA-JFK AA1143 (pre-cutback days) when the omelet was just there by itself and I think touted as a Cheddar Cheese variety.

Its the same way I refuse to eat those cheese triangles served now on many snack flights in First. Those 'procesed and partially hydrongenated' things are about as bad as eating marmite (or vegemite or whatever the Aussies eat).

Then again, someone from DFW might like the cheese-product and object to the SouthWestern style of flavoring ... not being authentic Tex-Mex. Maybe its AA-Mex!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:57 am
In memoriam

Just for the record emaij, whom I know from SAN, was NOT the poster. I posted from DFW AC, and somehow he got credit for the post. I'll take full responsibility for the post and for my limited knowledge of the makeup of various cheeses.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by emaij
When I asked what kind of omelet the FA said "cheese." When I asked what kind of cheese, he said he didn't know. We took our chances and were surprised to find Velveeta!
The egg dishes (quesadilla, WN omelette, etc.) in domestic FC always contain plastic cheese. Just another reason to have cereal, IMO.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jun 17, 2006 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa
Just for the record emaij, whom I know from SAN, was NOT the poster. I posted from DFW AC, and somehow he got credit for the post. I'll take full responsibility for the post and for my limited knowledge of the makeup of various cheeses.

He forgot to logout. Yesterday, Nathan_Webster_nn was the last guy to use EF on the same PC.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You FTers are everywhere.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:28 pm

You are!

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
You FTers are everywhere.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Does this mean that AA has catering at SAN again? Or were those omlettes flown in from DFW?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by emaij
So beware if the FA can't tell you what's in the omelet, and you don't care for Velveeta cheese, you may want to choose the cereal.
um, you do realize that FAs are not Chefs and we don't prepare the meals....all FAs do is reheat the meals.

if asked what is in an item, all we can do is tell you what it says on the catering papers.

if it says 3-cheese omelette, then that is what is said. if it says denver omelette or southwestern omelette...then that is what we say.

FAs don't have the full ingredients of any entree on any flight. if you want to know what you are getting, then check out aa.com inflight meals. maybe there you will get a better description.

don't blame the FAs for misinformation...it's not their fault.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:59 pm

They're just trying to protect you FAs from knowing, and maybe having to report toxic substances in the cabin. But yeah, I hear you, some want to slay the messenger; you guys don't even get a crack at the meal anymore (not that that's necessarily bad, at least for your health.)

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
um, you do realize that FAs are not Chefs and we don't prepare the meals....all FAs do is reheat the meals.

if asked what is in an item, all we can do is tell you what it says on the catering papers.

if it says 3-cheese omelette, then that is what is said. if it says denver omelette or southwestern omelette...then that is what we say.

FAs don't have the full ingredients of any entree on any flight. if you want to know what you are getting, then check out aa.com inflight meals. maybe there you will get a better description.

don't blame the FAs for misinformation...it's not their fault.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused. Did the FA tell either of you two (whomever wrote the OP) that the yellow gooey substance was in fact Velveeta? Or did the FA just say it was Velveeta?

I happen to like Velveeta. Y'all can keep your Brie and Bleu de Termignon - just gimmee big thick slices of Velveeta.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I happen to like Velveeta.
I remember when Herb Caen wrote his column for the San Francisco Chronicle. He referred to Chico as the Velveeta capital of the world. A trip there may be in order
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justageek
Does this mean that AA has catering at SAN again? Or were those omlettes flown in from DFW?
I was wondering the same thing. I always thought the SAN flights were double catered on the outbound.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Real cheddar melts terribly in cooked dishes and separates into oil and the rest which is why processed cheese, though I doubt it is actually Velveeta is used. Everyone who likes their grilled cheese sands and cheese on any fast food burger seem to live through the experience and it is all processed cheese.

Please don't encourage cereal , as I might have to follow FEBO vs. my favourite seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.