Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a baby's diaper in F seat - SXM - MIA 6/10

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Damm trailer trash.

[...]
I think that no person that uses language like this should be seated in first class.

Other than that: nursing a baby in public should be the legal right of any woman (it is in Ontario, for example). Changing a pee-only diaper discreetly in the seat is a non-issue, poopy diapers: NO, never.

So unless somebody changes a poopy diaper in the cabin, I am OK. If they do, I would mind as much sitting in coach as sitting in first!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sjc_longhorn
Is there a better option the other poster didn't consider? Most of the time, the infants aren't even flying in paid seats (I'm talking about domestic flights, I've heard international may be different) so I would think they should be happy with whatever seats they're given.

Where exactly would you suggest placing them? In the middle, where they annoy both the front and back of the plane? In first class, where they can annoy the premium pax? In the front of Y, where many airlines put their non-F elite fliers who probably don't want to be subjected to the smells and noise associated with families traveling with children? If the families with children are making noise comparable to "the drunks," maybe they should be sharing rows with them. For once, many of them might actually realize how annoying it is to sit next to noisy and boisterous pax in a tiny aluminum tube.
If you have a lap child, there are seats that you are required to sit in. For example in an RJ, 16b/c and 17b/c are the only seats with an extra O2 mask and child life preservers. There is only 18 rows in an RJ...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Why is it so hard to just take the child to the lav and change it there rather than changing it in the cabin? It's disgusting, even if it's "only" urine -- does anyone really want to argue that it would be acceptable for men to urinate in a bottle in the cabin, even if they were able to conceal their activities?. [blah blah...]
I'm sorry - since you singled me out for some reason, where exactly did I say that either (1) it's a total hardship to use the lav, or (2) it would be ok for a UT fan to p!ss in a bottle in the cabin? I think your last paragraph basically confirms the point I was making in the first place - that having a diaper changed on a pad on a seat is hardly the most unsanitary thing that goes on on a plane.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Is there a better option the other poster didn't consider?
The overhead bins?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Originally Posted by SAN-man
I'm sorry - since you singled me out for some reason, where exactly did I say that either (1) it's a total hardship to use the lav, or (2) it would be ok for a UT fan to p!ss in a bottle in the cabin? I think your last paragraph basically confirms the point I was making in the first place - that having a diaper changed on a pad on a seat is hardly the most unsanitary thing that goes on on a plane.
I wasn't singling you out, I was posting to a number of comments (one or two of them yours) in the thread; your post just happened to be the last one I read before posting. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't quote the posters who did imply that it's a major hardship to use the lav.

I don't know about you, but I've never actually seen anyone use a bottle to "p!ss in." Not on a plane anyway. My point was that if it were happening, a) I doubt it would be tolerated nearly as well as the changing of diapers on seats (pad or no pad); and b) I don't think one is more sanitary than the other. Theoretically, the bottle could be more sanitary since there's probably a lower likelihood that bottled urine will be spilling on the seats.

I'd really rather not have to deal with either.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Originally Posted by benzlotkin
For the record, I am one passenger who routinely compliments parents when their young children are well behaved, and respectful of their fellow passengers.
I, on the other hand, complain to parents whose children are too well behaved. "How am I supposed to stay awake all night on a red eye flight without a crying baby next to me?" and such.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by colonius
So unless somebody changes a poopy diaper in the cabin, I am OK. If they do, I would mind as much sitting in coach as sitting in first!
I think I would mind more in coach as you are likely to be closer to the point of the action...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: American, United
I don't have kids but generally have enjoyed sitting around them. They can be quite amusing, as can babies. If they cry, it's an opportunity to try and entertain them, something I don't get to do everyday. Of course if I want to rest then I'm less likely to want to entertain. But I have never wanted to entertain an obnoxious drunk -- maybe we can keep them in the lav...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:35 am

I love that! I have told people for years that if I ever had children I would bring earplugs for passengers in the area just in case. I'm a student of externalities and if I can do something to ease the negative side effects being experienced by my neighbors I will do it. My wife would also probably be completely embarassed (that I am being so thoughtful?).

Originally Posted by JPL9869
Last week when I traveled with my 8 week old, I brought an ample supply of earplugs for the whole flight (just a CRJ). The FAs and the other pax didn't believe I was serious untill I started passing them out. Everyone got a big kick out of it with the exception of my wife who was completely embarassed.

The ironic thing is that the baby didn't even make a sound on 4 flights.

Would anyone's view here change if the child was an elite. It is possible for my daughter to make PLT early next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.