Search

Changing a baby's diaper in F seat - SXM - MIA 6/10

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
deleted

Last edited by rpmkwpw; Jun 16, 2006 at 11:59 am Reason: I give up
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:59 am

I saw this in coach once ... actually, I smelled it before I saw it, but it got me thinking. I understand the lav is hard to deal with, but seriously folks, the rest of us DO NOT need to see that.

I plan on having kids one day and I know everybody says I'll think differently then. Yes, it's hard and frustrating to have to get up and change your kid. But it's totally inappropriate not to. I don't care where you put your kid -- pay for them to fly in first class for all I care -- but changing them in public is NOT OK.

Query whether the airlines should do something to make at least one lav on the plane "baby" friendly (and for that matter, handicap accessibility might be a good add-on to). I know it takes space and space means money because there are fewer seats, but with more and more kids flying these days, it might be worthwhile. Maybe require ALL KIDS to have seats to offset the cost (which the FAA should require anyway, given the safety issues, but that's somewhat OT).

I'm not sure whether I personally would breastfeed in public, but I think as long as it is done in a discreet manner, I have no problem with others doing it.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Whether is poop or pee, it's disgusting and unsanitary. Babies are cute, we all know that; however, that does not mean that their bodily excretions are clean and safe. Come on, people. We use the seat tray for a variety of reasons, including meals and we don't need more ways to get sick.

Secondly, the fact that it's discreet does not make it okay. If a guy can pee in a bottle discreetly, does that make it okay? Absolutely not! Parents need to be more aware of the safety and comfort of others - having a child should not mean that the rest of us have to suffer.

If your claim is the airline bathrooms are too small, here's an idea - don't fly with your child. Coach or First, we should not have to deal with that crap.

And to the original poster, I'll contact the airline. You paid for your fare and you should expect a comfortable experience. The airlines have done their part in making travel uncomfortable, we don't need help from idiotic passengers.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
No offense intended here, .... I can tell you this is unqualified Bravo Sierra and does not work -
None taken, and I believe you. Yet I have seen it done with success on the victims jellyfish we have here. Perhaps it varies by brand? <shrug> I'm certainly no expert.

edit : went looking it up now and you are quite correct, so I guess you learn something new every day. However: "On Portuguese man-of-war stings, do not use vinegar; experiments show that in its species, vinegar sets off the nematocysts. Instead, just rinse the area with seawater. (Fresh water is probably OK, too, though some doctors worry it can also set off nematocysts by osmosis.)"

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Doublespeak. So, the "precautions" protect other pax from the baby's diaper, but they're not good enough to protect the baby from a potentially dirty lav floor? Just lay down a mat. Changing in the cabin is disgusting and inappropriate. Period. :tWd:
The precautions are to protect both baby and seat. The underside of the mat after being on the bathroom floor......gak! Again, if there is somewhere to do it properly other than the seat I'm happy to, if not it still needs doing.

Originally Posted by kersie
Query whether the airlines should do something to make at least one lav on the plane "baby" friendly (and for that matter, handicap accessibility might be a good add-on to).
Great idea.

edited to add:
By the way, my personal experience has always (so far) been with pee only. I would be uncomfortable personally changing a smelly one in the seat....but I won't go so far as to say that I wouldn't do it if necessary.

Last edited by pjoalfa; Jun 17, 2006 at 2:52 am
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by JS
On that note, the last time I was in Manhattan, I ate at a pizza place in downtown (I think it was on Broadway, near the WTC). The restroom was more than two square feet, but it was *the* most disgusting restroom I have ever been in, and I've been in some dirty restrooms before (poorly managed convenience stores in hick towns, porta-potties on the road, etc.) At this Manhattan restaurant, you would have to not only change a diaper on the table, but empty the contents all over the table and the floor in order to have any negative effect on the restaurant's overall health. ...
Generally bathrooms in fast food joints (this includes pizza) are poorly cleaned. However, that's not the type of restaurant I had in mind (and don't usually associate with the word "restaurant"). I've seen a number of closet sized bathrooms in various decent midrange restaurants (say, $20-$30 entree places). They tend to be about the size of a table for 2.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
As an EXP and the father of a two and a half year old and a five month old... the seat is NO PLACE to do that. When you fly as a parent, it is your responsibility to take care of your children and be considerate of your surroundings. If it's crowded - tough. Bring a changing pad and place it over the sink area or floor, but do it in the lavatory. Plain and simple. That's what we have done on all of our flights.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stewlevine
As an EXP and the father of a two and a half year old and a five month old... the seat is NO PLACE to do that. When you fly as a parent, it is your responsibility to take care of your children and be considerate of your surroundings. If it's crowded - tough. Bring a changing pad and place it over the sink area or floor, but do it in the lavatory. Plain and simple. That's what we have done on all of our flights.
I want to stand up and cheer! Well said! ^
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kibison
I would have called the FA. It is bad enough to ruin everyone's flight with a screamer in F. Changing diapers in F is crossing the line.
Good luck getting the FA to change the diaper!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:42 pm

As a parent, I would have said something to the person changing a diaper in the cabin. When the planes do not have a changing table, we always manage. It's tricky to use the ledge by the sink or the lid on the toilet but it is not by any means impossible. One can also sit on the lid of the toilet in the loo and change your child while they are laying across your legs. Those mats that come with diaper bags are invaluable!!

Slightly OT, but people with noxious gas are just as much guilty of bad manners, IMO. The gentleman seated in front of me on this morning needs to change his diet or see a Physician. Everyone was holding their noses when he would let one fly. Thankfully, I had a magazine that was chock-full of cologne ads so I held them up to the air nozzle for some relief.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by stewlevine

^ ^

Exactly.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by janhigginskcmo
I always carried a white waterproof plastic mat that could be layed down anywhere that was questionable to change my babies on. It could be cleaned with soap and water and dried off anywhere. So, I would never change them in public where other people were around. A nursing mom should be descrete in public by placing a baby blanket over her shoulder and covering up the baby while feeding.

Sounds reasonable to me. ^
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCI777
Sounds reasonable to me. ^
Yup. To think otherwise makes one (1) wrong and (2) rude.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by badjuju
We use the seat tray for a variety of reasons, including meals and we don't need more ways to get sick.

If your claim is the airline bathrooms are too small, here's an idea - don't fly with your child. Coach or First, we should not have to deal with that crap.
I'm not sure I saw a suggestion in this thread that someone use the seat tray to change a diaper.

As for my "claim" that the bathroom is too small it's true for me personally - with or without kids. I am blessed and cursed - depending on situation - with a 6'6 frame. I'll just make sure my kids fly with mom instead of me from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Anyone notice the advertisements at the bottom of each page of this thread?

'all the diaper cloth'
'baby changing table pad'
'adult diapers'

Classic!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JS
In a restaurant with a two square foot restroom, if any such thing exists, yes...
Originally Posted by JS
You simply don't like it, which is OK, but since it's not your baby, you don't get any say in the matter.
Gotta love the statements of entitlement from some who chose to procreate, as if that's an excuse to be inconsiderate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.