FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   NBA Finals: Brought to you by AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/565412-nba-finals-brought-you-aa.html)

canes98 Jun 3, 2006 10:01 pm

NBA Finals: Brought to you by AA

The NBA finals are set and it'll be the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks.

The Heat's arena is the American Airlines Arena.

The Mavericks' arena is the American Airlines Center.

I wonder if/how AA will try to exploit this.

brp Jun 3, 2006 10:44 pm

American Airlines...we know why you dribble.

Cheers.

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 3, 2006 10:56 pm

Thank god. Now I don't have to listen to these ridiculous Suns fans anymore.

Besides US (US Airways Arena) doesn't deserve any free national attention.

ProTexana Jun 3, 2006 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by canes98

The Morning News explored this issue yesterday morning although nothing specific was mentioned as to what AA might do:
Dallas Morning News article on AAC/AAA

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 3, 2006 11:25 pm

Could we expect some DFW-MIA tie-in? What is AA's history in relation to identifying with sporting events?

nddomer04 Jun 4, 2006 12:35 am

AA used to offer fans special fares during college football season. They had a list of big games each week, and offered special rates to those cities for the weekend.

But, this year's NBA Finals is unprecedented in sports history in that both arenas are sponsored by the same company. We'll see what they do.

IceTrojan Jun 4, 2006 1:18 am

The marketing team who pushed for not one but TWO sponsored arenas must be in convulsions of ecstasy right about now...

tom911 Jun 4, 2006 2:08 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Could we expect some DFW-MIA tie-in?

Another free ticket giveaway?

mvoight Jun 4, 2006 2:26 am

Originally Posted by canes98

Well, maybe they will finally get some bang out of those arena naming bucks. AA will be mentioned quite a few times on many different media outlets.

SAN-man Jun 4, 2006 6:45 am

Originally Posted by nddomer04
AA used to offer fans special fares during college football season. They had a list of big games each week, and offered special rates to those cities for the weekend.

I remember this fondly - it was a fun extension of netsaaver. Delta had an even better product at one point, including golf tournaments, baseball, and a whole bunch of stuff. Made sense, since most stuff was over the weekend and they could get people to fly on Saturday, which was offpeak.

cme2c Jun 4, 2006 7:03 am

Anyone with tickets for game 2 in Dallas please let me know. Gonna try ticketmaster at 10 this morning, but they are only selling 1400 seats to the general public.

Abidjan Jun 4, 2006 2:46 pm

Go MAVS and AA! ^ Maybe this could be a trip for Jenkins?!

BobCharlap Jun 5, 2006 9:46 pm

I think the best sponsor twist is that the "official" airline of the NBA is........... Southwest!

Go Mavs!

tom911 Jun 5, 2006 11:56 pm

American Airlines doubles win in name game

NEW YORK — American Airlines has a rare opportunity to slam dunk its brand into the minds of basketball fans starting Thursday, when the NBA Finals begin inside the two arenas that carry the ailing carrier's name.
It pays more than $8 million a year in naming rights, which ensures that the Dallas Mavericks play in the American Airlines Center, while the Miami Heat cool off in the American Airlines Arena.

That has marketers at the airline, which lost $92 million in the first quarter, dreaming up ways to capitalize on its home courts advantage. On Monday, it was still working on a fan promotion.

"Once it dawned on us that this could happen, and that we're the only corporation that has the opportunity to do something, we said it's a no-brainer — we have to do something," says American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner.

rest of the story:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztra...y_x.htm?csp=34

justageek Jun 6, 2006 12:44 am

Originally Posted by brp
American Airlines...we know why you dribble.

Laughed out loud at that one! ^