Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines jet catches fire during servicing at LA airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines jet catches fire during servicing at LA airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Slow

I guess its yet another slow news day in the AA Forum.........
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JohnAx
But as everyone moves toward more "cost effective" maintenance programs, if there comes a day when that compromises safety and the FAA hasn't quite noticed, I'd be proud to help bring it to their attention.
No reason to bring this to their attention, as I suspect the FAA and NTSB have noticed on their own. I'm sure there will be an investigation, and if a systemic problem is found, corrective action will be taken.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I actually quite resent the remark. My butt and I have been attached for quite a while, and would like to maintain that close relationship, so trends in aircraft maintenance are of great interest to me.

Thus I really don't give a rat where AA gets a replacement 767, which is where the discussion was going. I do care a lot about whether a cash-strapped airline is cutting corners on maintenance, moving closer to margins on an aging fleet.

Note well that I believe that AA maintains their fleet "by the book" - for no reason but a general respect for the airline, I'd trust their maintenance above quite a few other carriers. But as everyone moves toward more "cost effective" maintenance programs, if there comes a day when that compromises safety and the FAA hasn't quite noticed, I'd be proud to help bring it to their attention.

But I was just asking....
To be frank, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. An engine failure is not an uncommon occurance and surely not indicative of a widespread problem. Three or four engine failures in a short period of time, then we can start talking, but otherwise, no.

I can think of more than a few examples where an engine has failed after maintenance, none of these being from AA. Delta had a well known incident a few years ago with one of their MD11s in a very similar incident to this recent one. Delta also had another publicized incident a couple years ago with a 763 on climbout out of ATL. Someone aboard the 763 took video of the engine on fire that was a bit graphic, hence why it got so much attention. While a bit off-topic, this just goes to show these types of failures aren't unheard of.

So basically you don't have any proof of what you're alluding to, and it sounds rather assinine. I agree with a previous poster, you seem to be trying to inject some drama into an event that turned out to be a non-event.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
To be frank, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. An engine failure is not an uncommon occurance and surely not indicative of a widespread problem. Three or four engine failures in a short period of time, then we can start talking, but otherwise, no.

I can think of more than a few examples where an engine has failed after maintenance, none of these being from AA. Delta had a well known incident a few years ago with one of their MD11s in a very similar incident to this recent one. Delta also had another publicized incident a couple years ago with a 763 on climbout out of ATL. Someone aboard the 763 took video of the engine on fire that was a bit graphic, hence why it got so much attention. While a bit off-topic, this just goes to show these types of failures aren't unheard of.

So basically you don't have any proof of what you're alluding to, and it sounds rather assinine. I agree with a previous poster, you seem to be trying to inject some drama into an event that turned out to be a non-event.
I'd point out that I didn't offer any proof nor make any hypothesis, but merely started by asking a couple of questions, primarily "aren't uncontained turbine failures supposed to be essentially impossible by design?" I did go on to comment that I'd noticed that people who fly lots and lots seemed to be commenting about an increased frequency of mechanical problems.

I realize that engines fail daily, almost invariably with trivial consequences. I don't have much interest in continuing the argument, so I'll leave it to anyone who cares to look up how many of the examples you cite were indeed uncontained like this one, or of the benign category.

Since your counters to my question have become personal attacks rather than intelligent discussion of the issue, I have to assume you guys are part of AA corporate damage control who very specifically don't want anyone bringing extra attention on their maintenance operations, and leave it at that. Otherwise, you would have participated in the discussion in an adult and useful manner.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Wow, I just flew on this aircraft, JFK-LAX, on Thursday on flt 201.

Great photos.
Please forgive the obvious question, but did you notice anything unusual, or did the crew on the flight deck mention anything being out of the ordinary?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'd point out that I didn't offer any proof nor make any hypothesis, but merely started by asking a couple of questions, primarily "aren't uncontained turbine failures supposed to be essentially impossible by design?" I did go on to comment that I'd noticed that people who fly lots and lots seemed to be commenting about an increased frequency of mechanical problems.

I realize that engines fail daily, almost invariably with trivial consequences. I don't have much interest in continuing the argument, so I'll leave it to anyone who cares to look up how many of the examples you cite were indeed uncontained like this one, or of the benign category.

Since your counters to my question have become personal attacks rather than intelligent discussion of the issue, I have to assume you guys are part of AA corporate damage control who very specifically don't want anyone bringing extra attention on their maintenance operations, and leave it at that. Otherwise, you would have participated in the discussion in an adult and useful manner.

I have no personal stake in this all. But I do think it's rather ridiculous that you're implying this incident could be the cause of shoddy maintenance from ahurting airline.

This thread is straight out of airliners.net. A great deal of assumption and uneducated guessing.

Take my disagreement personally, that's fine, doesn't matter to me.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
For all we know, the only "shoddy maintenance" was that which caused the engine to explode during the test. Maintenance is performed, mistake was made, engine explodes during test, everyone is happy that they tested it, the system works. When a problem this big happens, I tend to assume (right or wrong) that the last person whose hands worked on the project caused the problem. So, as long as engines are tested after maintenance, I'd say it's fair to say pax won't be endangered by this, and AA had better whip their ground crews into shape so they don't have to write off any other planes.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm just happy it was a light bulb company engine . . .
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Some new details today:

General Electric is investigating the cause of an apparent uncontained engine failure which caused extensive damage to an American Airlines Boeing 767-200 at Los Angeles on Friday.

The aircraft (N330AA) was undergoing a ground run-up of the (left) No.1 engine when the problem occurred. The CF6-80A was being tested after the crew bringing the aircraft in from the New York reported abnormal power response from the engine during the flight.

Reports say the engine was at more than 90% power when the failure occurred, either in the shaft or the high pressure turbine (HPT) area.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...0A+engine.html
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I'm just happy it was a light bulb company engine . . .

Not only light bulbs, but nuclear reactors, MRI machines, railroad locomotives and kitchen appliances.

That fine engine builder in Connecticut isn't quite as diversified.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Not only light bulbs, but nuclear reactors, MRI machines, railroad locomotives and kitchen appliances.

Not to mention television shows (NBC) . . .
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
One thing is certain; were AA doing any pencil-whipping prior to this they sure as heck won't be for a while.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA

True, but the CT company is a division of a larger CT company that owns other well-known CT companies such as Carrier, Otis, Hamilton Sunstrand and Sikorsky.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
or maybe some of those rats got into the engine?

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...1&page=1&pp=15
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:40 am
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
There is a new article out on this incident. Apparently a piece of metal from the engine flew over a half mile away across two active runways.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/3048421.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.