Wiki Posts
Search

BA treatment of EXPs

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
BA treatment of EXPs

Is it me? Or BA treats AA EXP just like non-Executive Club members?!?! I have a reservation for LHR-BEY-LHR. I called BA to get seat assignments, I was told they cannot assign seats except at the airport, apparently flight is full and only Executive Club members can be assigned seat. I will probably be stuck in a middle seat!!!

Doesn’t EXP count for anything?? Aside from Lounge Access, BA doesn’t offers EXPs much, am I wrong?

Is it the same with other non-BA one world carriers?
Old May 23, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
BA does not seem to assign seats in advance unless you have a Business Class booking on these shorter flights...AA status, unfortunately, does not help.

HOWEVER, as a Plat, I have been upgraded into C on European flights particularly when they are full in the back.

Your OneWorld status may well score you an upgrade, so I would recommend reserving judgement about BAs treatment of EXPs until after the flight

Good luck...
Old May 23, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyACN
Doesn’t EXP count for anything?? Aside from Lounge Access, BA doesn’t offers EXPs much, am I wrong?
There have been reports of AA elites getting op ups on CX, but for the most part your AA status means nothing to other OW carriers except what they're obligated to provide according to the terms of the alliance. By the same token, can you imagine an AA agent bending the rules just because a BA elite flashes a gold card in his or her face?
Old May 23, 2006, 1:59 pm

AA elite status means nothing to BA in my experience. Truely absolutely nothing. CX is the best in recognizing AA elites.
Old May 23, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
...Is it the same with other non-BA one world carriers?
Talking -exclusively- about op upgrades, Iberia treats me exceptionally well as an AA EXP (4/5 so far this year, for which I'm more than grateful).
Old May 23, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by Blumie
There have been reports of AA elites getting op ups on CX, but for the most part your AA status means nothing to other OW carriers except what they're obligated to provide according to the terms of the alliance. By the same token, can you imagine an AA agent bending the rules just because a BA elite flashes a gold card in his or her face?
BA Silvers and Gold can pre-assign exit row seats on AA. BA does not allow Exit row assignment except to BA Golds. The only exception is airport assignment.

If BA was not assigning seats to anyone, i would not expect them to bend the rule for me, but she specificly said "only executive club members at this point can pre-assign seats"

By the way LHR-BEY-LHR is not Europe... albeit it seems that BA treats it this way!
Old May 23, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
BA Silvers and Gold can pre-assign exit row seats on AA. BA does not allow Exit row assignment except to BA Golds. The only exception is airport assignment.

If BA was not assigning seats to anyone, i would not expect them to bend the rule for me, but she specificly said "only executive club members at this point can pre-assign seats"

By the way LHR-BEY-LHR is not Europe... albeit it seems that BA treats it this way!
LAN was great with me when i flew them all throughout South America in November. Bulk head seats, exit row seats and the boarding pass said 'priority'. I also got upgraded twice because the flight was full in the back.
Old May 23, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Sapphire gets treated even worse, in my limited experience. Admittedly, I use them only once a year, but they now get zero from me: I'll be utilizing Gulf Air AA codeshares for my DOH/BAH/DXB flight back to Europe.
Old May 23, 2006, 5:06 pm

if it's Club Europe/Eurotraveler service, then no coach seat assignments are made except at the airport.

From the BA website FAQ:

Pre-seating in Euro Traveller is not available on any route at anytime (Euro Traveller is our European leisure product).

Pre-seating is not available in emergency exit rows as Airport staff are required by law to actually see the people given emergency exit seats to ensure that they can assist in an emergency.
as a oneworld elite, you do actually get access to the "best" coach seats-- usually the row behind Biz, which is often the same no-middle config just behind the partition.

I certainly don't agree that EXP counts for nothing. I've had a transatlantic op upgrade, for instance, and the elite checkin line is a lifesaver compared to the zoos BA usually have for coach checkin....
Old May 23, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I have had great luck with BA (and all OW carriers) with EXP status... BA, in particular, while they do not allow advance seat assignments, has almost always assigned me the row just behind business class which is still the 2X3 seating on narrow-bodies.... without even asking...
Old May 23, 2006, 5:16 pm
Suspended

BA been kind to this EP

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
..BA, in particular, while they do not allow advance seat assignments, has almost always assigned me the row just behind business class which is still the 2X3 seating on narrow-bodies.... without even asking...
That happened to me two times in a row LHR-TXL, BA assigned me the best coach seat in the cabin-- the first row on behind the movable curtain-- without me ever even asking.
Old May 23, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
And they give you the ABC side of the aircraft which is usually set up as 2 seats not 3 giving you a bit more room.

I switched from BA EC to AAdvantage because of how I was treated as a BA blue. Honestly, as Plat and now EXP I am treated better by BA now than when I was with them.

Flying back from Oz earlier this year in J I did not have a seat assignment. I was put in 64k which some argue is one of the best seats on the plane. Also, the flight was over booked.

Yes they ask for cards for lounge access and yes seat assignments can be a pain but overall they are just fine.
Old May 23, 2006, 6:46 pm

ba upgraded once from J to F in LHR-YYZ
iberia upgraded twice (yup) from LHR to MAD.

both of the ow carriers normally honor my emerald status .
G.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
Expanded Award Availability

Don't forget that EXP and PLT have access to "V" class inventory on BA for economy class award tickets.
Old May 23, 2006, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
You have missed the point. On the BritAer website you are required to let them know if you are a Lord or Lady, Sir or Dame. If not one of these then you are treated as befits your rank of knave, serf or yokel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.