Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAngel Upgrade Magic?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
AAngel Upgrade Magic?

Sometimes, when I'm at an Admirals Club with a pending upgrade request, the AAngel says "Let me see if I can get it to clear," types stuff, and then prints new boarding passes with my upgraded seats. Sometimes this is for the flight I'm about to take, and sometimes for the connection I'll make afterwards. Sometimes they say "Sorry, it won't let me." (And lots of times they don't say anything except "Your upgrades haven't cleared yet," and don't try anything.)

What is the magic they try to do, and when can they do it?
Old May 18, 2006, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just speculation, but maybe they're sending an (automated) request to yield management to release X inventory if it isn't available, but F is?
I could see this being something the AC staff is willing and able to do but the GAs are not (more willing, than able).
Old May 18, 2006, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
No... such a thing does not exist. Let us never speak of it again.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
The magic is "marketing".

They look at the computer. They see that you've cleared. They send an email to a friend. They print the BP. You renew your AC membership. They keep their jobs.

(Cynical, aren't I?)

But, like IceTrojan said, they have no special mAAgic powers. ReAAlly.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I've seen AC AAngels give certain people (not me, of course) F inventory when upgrades haven't cleared...

They seem to be more willing than other agents to bend the rules for even slightly irregular ops.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just speculation, but maybe they're sending an (automated) request to yield management to release X inventory if it isn't available, but F is?
I could see this being something the AC staff is willing and able to do but the GAs are not (more willing, than able).
That's what I thought. Also, sometimes first class check-in agents overseas have done the same "see if I can clear your upgrade" thing.

Originally Posted by CO FF
The magic is "marketing".

They look at the computer. They see that you've cleared. They send an email to a friend. They print the BP. You renew your AC membership. They keep their jobs.

(Cynical, aren't I?)

But, like IceTrojan said, they have no special mAAgic powers. ReAAlly.
I can be cynical, but I have a hard time believing that they'd go through a charade such as that! Also, especially in the case of upgrades for connecting flights, it's well ahead of the four-hours-before-departure point at which almost all of my upgrades seem to clear these days.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Did you tell the AAngel to get rid of the all the ugly cardboAArd at ORD covering the old monitors?
Old May 18, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Right, this didn't happen to me this morning.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Old May 18, 2006, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
OK, and lets not encourage anyone to join the Admiral's Club so that they become less financially viable and begin to close one by one...
Old May 18, 2006, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
OK, and lets not encourage anyone to join the Admiral's Club so that they become less financially viable and begin to close one by one...

Hey, you never know, they might employ the same strategy with the AC that they do with the S80s: as they fill up a little more, start grounding 'em .
Old May 18, 2006, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Sure, they can join.... they just shouldn't expect to be upgraded like OP described... never.... ever....
Old May 18, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My assumption was that they'd check the flight, see X open, and just say "let me see if I can..." just in case for some reason they couldn't confirm it.

Better than saying "sure....oh...uhm...sorry"

Steve
Old May 18, 2006, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sllevin
My assumption was that they'd check the flight, see X open, and just say "let me see if I can..." just in case for some reason they couldn't confirm it.

Better than saying "sure....oh...uhm...sorry"

Steve
If X was open, wouldn't the automated system have already snagged it for me? Sure, there's some window in between the polling interval, but the odds of being in an Admirals Club talking to an AAngel during that period seem slim, especially since these days most of my upgrades seem to clear at the four-hour-before-departure mark.
Old May 18, 2006, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Ther are just TWO rules about Admirals Club upgrade club...
Old May 18, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
X can sit open for a variety of reasons. Often, the AAngel can snag them, even though the Gate Agent is the one responsible for the inventory at that time. I don't THINK a Ticket Agent can snag the X inventory during airport check-in, I think only GA AC, and SOMETIMES the EXP desk can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.