Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get from ORD to Chennai?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

How do I get from ORD to Chennai?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get to Chennai from Chicago, with as much of it as possible on AA or code-share? As far as I can tell, the only oneworld option involves a non-code-share BA flight from LHR to Chennai. There are direct AA flights to Delhi, but then AA.com doesn't seem to have suggestions on how to get from Delhi to Chennai (I don't care if this leg is on AA or someone else as long as they will interline my luggage).

Any suggestions?

Edited to add: BTW, I need to be in Chennai on June 14th, and I plan on flying in discount economy, hopefully on a flight with C available for upgrade over the water.
Old May 6, 2006, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by wannabe

Edited to add: BTW, I need to be in Chennai on June 14th, and I plan on flying in discount economy, hopefully on a flight with C available for upgrade over the water.

not asking for too much, are you?
Old May 6, 2006, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ORD-DEL gets you most of the way there, nonstop with EQM / EQP. S2 (Air Sahara) gets you to MAA in 2:40 more as an AA partner (though the partnership may be shaky in the long term, since S2 was purchased by 9W - Jet Airways.) DEL transfers between International and Domestic are a PITA, but so is LHR.

The rest (C availability) is up to the forces of good and evil, and of course, your karma.
Old May 6, 2006, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
DEL transfers between International and Domestic are a PITA, but so is LHR.
Possibly a little harsh! While LHR is no picnic, Indira Gandhi has to be a division less pleasant.

The BA option via LHR breaks the journey up making it a little less stressful, however if you are looking to upgrade you would be far better served taking AA to DEL and the domestic connection. However you will need to overnight in DEl as the last DEL-MAA flight leaves at 7pm. There is an S2 flight at 7:35 am or 9W at 06:45 the following morning.
Old May 6, 2006, 2:08 pm

Possibly I was a bit harsh. No Toad Hall bowels-of-the-airport rides in DEL, but there is definitely a ride involved. I'd use AA to DEL and RON at the Radisson (whoops, called it a Hyatt! ), have them shuttle me in and out.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Possibly a little harsh! While LHR is no picnic, Indira Gandhi has to be a division less pleasant.

The BA option via LHR breaks the journey up making it a little less stressful, however if you are looking to upgrade you would be far better served taking AA to DEL and the domestic connection. However you will need to overnight in DEl as the last DEL-MAA flight leaves at 7pm. There is an S2 flight at 7:35 am or 9W at 06:45 the following morning.

Last edited by JDiver; May 6, 2006 at 7:07 pm Reason: change Hyatt to Radisson - what WAS I thinking?
Old May 6, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Why was Madras changed to Chennai?
Old May 6, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Madras/Chennai

Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
Why was Madras changed to Chennai?
The 1996 change was driven by regionalistic/nationalistic (take your pick) sentiment. "Madras" was felt to be a British invention, whereas "Chennai" is apparently more indigenous.

The transformation of "Bombay" into "Mumbai" was similarly politically motivated, except for the inconvenient fact that the British practically invented Bombay.

Calcutta -> Kolkota? Same thing.

Thankfully Delhiites seem comfortable with the anglicization of their city, despite the unbiquitous vernacular usage - "Dilli".

Pushpak
Old May 6, 2006, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Pushpak
The transformation of "Bombay" into "Mumbai" was similarly politically motivated, except for the inconvenient fact that the British practically invented Bombay.
The name "Bombay" was not of British origin anyway. It was a corruption of "Bom Bahia," the original name given by the Portuguese, meaning "good bay."
Old May 6, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get to Chennai from Chicago, with as much of it as possible on AA or code-share? As far as I can tell, the only oneworld option involves a non-code-share BA flight from LHR to Chennai. There are direct AA flights to Delhi, but then AA.com doesn't seem to have suggestions on how to get from Delhi to Chennai (I don't care if this leg is on AA or someone else as long as they will interline my luggage).

Any suggestions?
Very simple.

BA 5108 ORD-MAN
BA 1387 MAN-LHR
BA 35 LHR-MAA
Old May 6, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I think the OP's point was that there is no AA/BA codeshare on the LHR-MAA segment.
Old May 6, 2006, 6:07 pm

THOSE are AA codeshares? I'm sure that's all wool and a yard wide.

Originally Posted by dannyr
Very simple.

BA 5108 ORD-MAN
BA 1387 MAN-LHR
BA 35 LHR-MAA
Old May 6, 2006, 6:09 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by vasantn
I think the OP's point was that there is no AA/BA codeshare on the LHR-MAA segment.
Originally Posted by JDiver
THOSE are AA codeshares? I'm sure that's all wool and a yard wide
My apologies. While they're not Codeshare, you can still earn miles on them as they're BA flights.
Old May 6, 2006, 6:18 pm

No worries - I misread sometimes too. The OP just has to be careful which fare class he buys on BA so he doesn't get partial miles.

BA fare classes K, L, M, N, O, R and G, Q, S, V all earn 25% of actual miles flown for AA flyers; only H, B and Y get 100% of miles (T and W even earn a 10% bonus miles - and I'll let the business and first fares go without saying.)

Originally Posted by dannyr
My apologies. While they're not Codeshare, you can still earn miles on them as they're BA flights.
Old May 6, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
I took the ORD-DEL AA flight two days ago (May 4th) and C availability was wide open per ExpertFlyer even the day before the flight. There were several empty seats in business class with very few passengers in FC (2-3?). The AA292 Flight arrived in DEL at 7:55 PM (105+ degrees F temperature at 7:55 PM) and I was in the Radisson taking a shower 25 minutes later. I was one of the first out of the plane and through immigration and customs as I had no checked baggage. The Radisson rep was waiting for me with the car. This 25 minutes may be a record for Delhi for flight touch down to hotel shower.

The S2 flight per the earlier poster in this thread is a convenient connection to MAA in the morning. With this routing (AA/S2) you'll arrive in Chennai with a good night's rest if overnighting in DEL at a hotel near the airport. If transiting DEL then I recommend the Radisson as they provide free airport pickup and drop off. If you take the morning S2 to MAA then you'll miss the Radisson buffett breakfast at they open only at 7:00 AM for breafast but then you'll get served a meal on the S2 flight. The DEL domestic terminal departure area for the S2/9W/.. flights get quite crowded for the monring departures.

The Radisson WiFi price is Rs 309 for the first hour and about Rs.450+ for two hours. I was able to get a good WiFi signal even in the far corner of the wing where I had an upgraded room on the Club floor.

I've also done the LAX-ORD-MAA (AA/BA) several times but arrival into MAA is in the dead of night. I'm usually in the Trident Hilton in about 30 minutes after flight touch down. The only hassle with the ORD-LHR-MAA (AA/BA) routing is the dreaded LHR terminal change. If you plan on a work day immediately after arrival then you may not get enough rest with this option.
Old May 6, 2006, 8:50 pm

(I don't care if this leg is on AA or someone else as long as they will interline my luggage).
They will NOT interline your luggage. You will have to get it through Customs and then take it with you to a hotel. Even if an overnight stay were not involved, you would have to schlep it yourself by taxi from international to domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.