Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I leave a flight a stopover point?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Can I leave a flight a stopover point?

So the wife and I are flying out of BWI to latin america. Outbound go through Miami.

On the return, we go through DFW for a stopover before returning to BWI.

It just so happens i have family in DFW and would like to "get off" the plane at DFW. My wife would continue on to BWI since she has to work the next day. I would just take a carryon and check luggage under my wife's name.

Is this ok with the new security regulations. one AA rep told me "People miss their flights all the time" Anyone have experience with this. Obviously it's dumb to fly all the way to BWI just to fly back to DFW the next day.

thanks for any help.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to FT!

This is technically against the airline rules (JDiver seems to know where all this info is hidden and will surely add the exact text). It's called "hidden city", I believe- the idea that you buy a cheaper flight that goes further, then get off. may not be the realy reason, but the rule protects against that. They could deny FF miles, or charge a higher fare, if appropriate. Reality? Since it's the last leg and you don't seem to be a repeat offender...very unlikely to have any impact.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Welcome to FT!

This is technically against the airline rules (JDiver seems to know where all this info is hidden and will surely add the exact text). It's called "hidden city", I believe- the idea that you buy a cheaper flight that goes further, then get off. may not be the realy reason, but the rule protects against that. They could deny FF miles, or charge a higher fare, if appropriate. Reality? Since it's the last leg and you don't seem to be a repeat offender...very unlikely to have any impact.

Cheers.
I think his wife could just mention that her husband had an "emergency" that required him to miss the flight. That way, a standby passenger could be happier sooner.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk - AA!

Chances are your wife would also return home alone, as AA would cancel the remainder of your trip when you didn't check in at DFW (no BP read as you board.) You can TRY to present a compelling reason to AA, like falling down in the aisle clutching your chest, but I think the airline is very familiar with the various ways peole try to bypass more expensive fares, change fees, etc.

ROFL, brp! But, here it is...

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage is what you need to look at (and memorize by heart! ) Lots of unilateraly and fairly binding verbiage that applies when we buy a ticket - the idea being we consent when we buy. May as well read and know your rights and responsibilities, IMO.

For others' convenience, the crucial bit says:

TICKET VALIDITY - COMPLIANCE WITH TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE

Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:

The passenger's itinerary, as stated on the ticket or in the passenger's reservation record,
Any requirement that the passenger stay over a specified date or length of time (for example, Saturday night or weekend) at the destination specified on the ticket.
Any special purpose or status (for example, age in the case of senior citizen or children's discounts, military status in the case of a military fare, official government business in the case of a government fare, or attendance at a qualified event in the case of a meeting or convention fare) that entitles the passenger to a special or reduced rate, or
Any other requirement associated with the passenger's fare level.
Unless a ticket is reissued by American or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an authorized representative of American waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid:

If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket,
If the passenger fails to comply with applicable stay-over requirements,
If the passenger does not meet the purpose or status requirement associated with the fare category on the ticket, or
If American determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.
American specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:

Back to Back Ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Throwaway Ticketing: The usage of roundtrip excursion fare for one-way travel, and

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
Confiscate unused flight coupons,
Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary
Old May 4, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Probably best to make sure you and your wife are on separate record locators. Otherwise they may ask about the additional party in her group and *she* has to come up with some story for you.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by AATripping
So the wife and I are flying out of BWI to latin america. Outbound go through Miami.

It just so happens i have family in DFW and would like to "get off" the plane at DFW. My wife would continue on to BWI since she has to work the next day. I would just take a carryon and check luggage under my wife's name.

Is this ok with the new security regulations. one AA rep told me "People miss their flights all the time" Anyone have experience with this. Obviously it's dumb to fly all the way to BWI just to fly back to DFW the next day.

thanks for any help.

well you havent said how long your 'stopover' is. I would think if its less than 24 hrs wouldnt it just be a connection????? or at least not an overnight stay???
Old May 4, 2006, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AATripping

It just so happens i have family in DFW and would like to "get off" the plane at DFW.
If you get off the plane at DFW and miss your connecting flight to BWI the repercussion will be the cancellation of your remaining DFW-BWI segment. Are you okay with that? Stated differently -- since presumably you intend to return to BWI at some point -- is the cost of purchasing another DFW-BWI one-way ticket (whether on AA or some other carrier) worth the artificial stopover to you? If so, then do it. Just don't share your intent to do so with AA.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
is the "stopover" at dfw a connection or is it a thru flight with a stop....if it is a stop, it might cause problems w/ pax count and disruption of the flight....on a connection you will be a noshow...

i think the previous posters are thinking connection which would be easier to miss....sometimes, they tell thru pax to stay on the plane...you could get off though...

how are you going to get back to bwi?

good luck.

edit to add...having read your post, i believe you will have to go thru imm & customs at dfw....so you have to get off....also, if you haven't bought the tickets, you could arrange the stop over at dfw....

do you have the ticket from bwi-dfw already? that may be another consideration...

Last edited by clacko; May 4, 2006 at 10:14 am
Old May 5, 2006, 9:19 am

I have missed connections in DFW before and visited family. I just get placed on standby for the next flight.
Old May 5, 2006, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seanmorrissey
I have missed connections in DFW before and visited family. I just get placed on standby for the next flight.
Same day standby, right?
Old May 5, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott and Starwood
Put some onions in your pockets, poke out your eyes (if you have contacts) and wear a thermal undershirt so you start sweating. Tell the agents you are sick. Have them reschedule for the next day (the same flight).
Old May 5, 2006, 10:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
...and hope the U S Customs folks don't decide to detain you for some "extra attention" and maybe drug testing.

Originally Posted by TheKnife
Put some onions in your pockets, poke out your eyes (if you have contacts) and wear a thermal undershirt so you start sweating. Tell the agents you are sick. Have them reschedule for the next day (the same flight).
Old May 5, 2006, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I just did this 10 days ago. My partner and I were returning from DEL and were ticketed DEL-ORD-MIA on the same PNR. I needed to get back to NYC the same day and avoid a detour through MIA. I just told the lady at the FL that I had to cancel the last segment of my trip because I needed to be in NYC that morning. No problem. She split our PNRs and canceled my last segment. My partner went to MIA and I went to LGA. No muss, no fuss; just the cost of a OW ticket ORD-LGA as SAT Lawyer pointed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.