Wiki Posts
Search

Avis AA 25th Anniversary Promo

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Avis AA 25th Anniversary Promo

Using today's promo, I tried to book a car in Hawaii. The AWD worked (saved about $40/week over the normal AA AWD), but the coupon would not work. I called Avis and they said that HI was not included in the promo.

Here is the link to the Rules and terms: http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu...plash-Avis.htm

As you can see, it says "worldwide". There is no mention of HI being excluded. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Avis to accept the coupon (it is worth almost 5,000 miles to me).
Old May 4, 2006, 8:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The T&Cs mention the following: "Up to 6,250 Bonus Mile anniversary offer valid from 05/01/06 to 12/31/06 in the contiguous U.S., Canada, Latin America, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico".

So I would guess this means no extra points outside of these areas. And unfortunatley, HI is outside of those stated areas.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Contradition in T&C

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The T&Cs mention the following: "Up to 6,250 Bonus Mile anniversary offer valid from 05/01/06 to 12/31/06 in the contiguous U.S., Canada, Latin America, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico".

So I would guess this means no extra points outside of these areas. And unfortunatley, HI is outside of those stated areas.
You are quoting from the 2nd paragraph. The first paragraph reads (in part):
"...provide your AAdvantage membership number at time of rental at any participating Avis location worldwide. This offer is in addition to the standard 50 miles per rental day..."
Old May 4, 2006, 8:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA-Platinum
You are quoting from the 2nd paragraph. The first paragraph reads (in part):
"...provide your AAdvantage membership number at time of rental at any participating Avis location worldwide. This offer is in addition to the standard 50 miles per rental day..."
In your quote, not the word participating. The second paragraph indicates which locations are participating. No contradiction at all, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Absolutely. That one little word - "participating" - is what hotel chains, auto rental companies, etc. include to let us know that, even in those areas a promo is good in, local hotels, agents etc. can opt out.

A little less cheer with those little words...

Originally Posted by brp
In your quote, not the word participating. The second paragraph indicates which locations are participating. No contradiction at all, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AA-Platinum
Using today's promo, I tried to book a car in Hawaii. The AWD worked (saved about $40/week over the normal AA AWD), but the coupon would not work.
What coupon? The only thing I see on the AA page and in the Terms and Conditions is the use of AWD code K817125.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MileKing
What coupon? The only thing I see on the AA page and in the Terms and Conditions is the use of AWD code K817125.
Coupon #: MUAA067
Old May 4, 2006, 8:43 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MileKing
When you click the "book Now and go through the reservation process in the coupon section MUAA067 appears. That's the coupon.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I just went to Avis.com. FYI, I tried it there with and wthout that coupon code and it made no difference whatsoever in my case.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:47 am
wma

I have two questions about today's offer.

1- Does anyone know what "up to 6250" means? Do we get a minimum of 6250 miles or not?

2- I apologize for sounding dumb, but inorder to qualify for the 6250 miles, I assume we have to make the reservations today. Is that correct?

I converted two reservations for this month, that I had on Hertz to Avis so far. I spend a little more on the Avis rentals but if I get 6250 per rental, all I'm paying is $0.00128 per mile, which is a great deal.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. The "up to 6250" assumes that you've been an AAdvantage member since 1981 (25 years x 250 miles/year). It will be less if one has not been a member that long. It also seems that the total one can receive is 6250 across all rentals in the period, not per rental.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:55 am
wma

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. I just went to Avis.com. FYI, I tried it there with and wthout that coupon code and it made no difference whatsoever in my case.

Cheers.
The coupon doesn't change the cost of the car, it gives you the extra bonus points. That's what the service rep told me.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:04 am
wma

Originally Posted by brp
Nope. The "up to 6250" assumes that you've been an AAdvantage member since 1981 (25 years x 250 miles/year). It will be less if one has not been a member that long. It also seems that the total one can receive is 6250 across all rentals in the period, not per rental.
Where did you read that? If that's the case I'll stick with one of my Hertz rentals. Thanks about the AA member since 1981. All the reservations are in my DH's name and he has been a member since 1981. Too bad it's a max of 6250.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6250 total not officially written

Originally Posted by wma
Where did you read that? If that's the case I'll stick with one of my Hertz rentals. Thanks about the AA member since 1981. All the reservations are in my DH's name and he has been a member since 1981. Too bad it's a max of 6250.
I can't find the post I read this from. In any case, it was a supposition there as well, and not written in what I could find. I guess the terminology of a 6250 mile bonus offer, as opposed to 6250 max per rental led to the supposition. That and the title

"Celebrate And Earn Up To 6,250 Bonus Miles From Avis"

Seems to imply a program max.

Suffice to say that I'm not sure about this one.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
AA seems to have "offered the opportunity to participate" to its partners. The challenge for the partner's marketing department is to come up with a promo that seems generous, but costs little to nothing. Based on what they came up with, Avis seems to have a very good marketing department:

1. Saturday night requirement eliminates almost all business rentals. It also restricts this to days when Avis has thousands of unrented cars sitting around.
2. 3 day requirement eliminates "rental runs" by Flyertalkers. It also means that Avis can pay the maximum miles for a rental, and still be money ahead by renting a car that would have sat idle otherwise.
3. By using the 250-miles-per-year-in-AAdvantage idea, they narrow the pool of those who can get the maximum benefit with just one rental to one AAdvantage member in every 150.

This is a very nice deal for long time AAdvantage members who were going to rent a car of the required size for at least 3 days over a weekend in the participating area without this deal. For all others, it really isn't something to get excited about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.