Why do bulkhead seats have the worst pockets?

Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Why do bulkhead seats have the worst pockets?

I *hate* bulkhead seats. You get less leg room, can't stash your bag, often have no direct bin space...

But the thing that boggles my mind the most is the stupid magazine slot you get instead of a pocket. I could live with the lack of storage if I had a decent pouch in front of me for my book and bottle of water, but we don't even get that.

What's the rationale for that itty bitty slot?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, Skywards, Flying Blue, Miles & More
FAA regulations.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly72
FAA regulations.
Then why do MD-80s have pockets? They were added when the cabins were last redone. Also, don't the 777s have pockets (at least in J)?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by fly72
FAA regulations.
UA has pouches for their bulkhead seats.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Blumie
UA has pouches for their bulkhead seats.
maybe these regulations were recently amended?
Old May 1, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Philoj
What's the rationale for that itty bitty slot?
I'm going to guess it's to keep people from jamming too much stuff in it? People try to put their laptops and everything in them on the MD-80s, which leads to more work for the FAs getting them to move stuff. Might help at little anyway if there's just a magazine slot (though i'm sure lots of people just try to stash it at their feet...).
Old May 1, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA PLT, Frontier Summit, Avis Pref Select, National Executive
Originally Posted by SarahEmm
I'm going to guess it's to keep people from jamming too much stuff in it? People try to put their laptops and everything in them on the MD-80s, which leads to more work for the FAs getting them to move stuff. Might help at little anyway if there's just a magazine slot (though i'm sure lots of people just try to stash it at their feet...).
By that rationale, every seat would have a slot rather than a pocket. I see no reason why that wall has to have a hard slot and the seats have have a, albeit usually broken, soft pouch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.