A small courtesy appreciated

Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Thumbs up A small courtesy appreciated

Just for a positive note:

Was booking for my wife and I last week. Same destination, itineraries different as my wife is returning home sooner than I am - working trip for us both.

While booking on-line, I inadvertently bought her ticket under my name, the default on my aa.com sign-in. I only found this out when I went to book my own itinerary a few minutes later. I called AA Plat on the horn, dreading getting a response that it was my fault (it was) and that I would have to pay a change fee.

Instead a very pleasant and short conversation ensued with the name on the first res being corrected. Common sense can still sometimes be found in the system it seems. ^

I did have to agree to have my baggage lost for my next six flights, however.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, Skywards, Flying Blue, Miles & More
I would write a letter of commendation.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great idea.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Teacher49
I called AA Plat on the horn, dreading getting a response that it was my fault (it was) and that I would have to pay a change fee.
I booked the wrong dates once, and noticed when I printed the itinerary. I was able to call in and void the booking because it had not yet gone to "ticketed". You probably could have cancelled it entirely and started from scratch if you were in that multi-hour window between booking and ticketing, if they hadn't made the change for you. Glad it worked out.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Instead a very pleasant and short conversation ensued with the name on the first res being corrected. Common sense can still sometimes be found in the system it seems. ^
Yes, the sometimes considerable delay between purchasing on aa.com and actual ticketing can work in your favour from time to time . It saved my bacon once, when I put in the wrong dates while booking really early in the AM with both jet-lag and a hangover. That conversation began "Hi. I can't believe what I've just done..."
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I made a booking on aa.com for a discounted business seat on a BA European flight about a year ago. Having explored some alternatives at some point I went back to the booking page to make the reservation. It was only after I had made the purchase that I noticed that the booking page had reverted to default dates while retaining my other information (I have not seen this happen recently, maybe it is a bug that has been fixed?).

I immediately called AA res who told me they could do nothing as the fare was nor changeable or refundable, and I should call BA. BA told me they could not change it as the reservation was made on AA.

In desperation I called web services to complain about the bug. I don't think they understood my explanation of the bug. Nor did they seem to understand my comment that US format dates are confusing for a European. But they did observe that this was an expensive mistake to make (about $500!). They then volunteered the explanation that the date controls are very small and it is easy to set them wrongly, so they would cancel the ticket and refund me on this occasion.

I was very grateful. This was in my pre-Plat pre-FT days.

I had the impression that the volunteered explanation fitted some acceptable category. And maybe web services had a way of dealing with it that did not lose AA the $500?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will say that I had some trouble with other tickets some time ago. After selecting "Choose by Schedule" and specifying a date and early "morning" I mistakenly chose red eyes offered at 11:00 p.m.

I will confess to doing this twice over the period of year of so ... ok, ok, slow learner. But I am not a professional, just a self-employed who has to do many, many tasks only some of which do I do often enough to get fluent with them.

Both times I called to ask for changes. Both times I was successful, but only after haggling over whether or not I should have to pay change fees. I contended that the way the I selected for schedule should not have produced choices that arrived the morning of the following day.

Both time the rep eventually saw my point. It took me "twice burned" but I became super careful on that point thereafter.

Now, there is an alert on aa.com when a flight is overnight marking these clearly. Either I was very persuasive or at least a few other people were making the same mistake.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Same problem and resolution

Originally Posted by fly72
I would write a letter of commendation.
I have screwed up not a few times like the OP on both AA and DL and each time, I have been able to get the error fixed. Each time, I have sent a note of thanks via the AAdvantage or Sky Miles email system thanking the CSR's for helping the fumbling customer.

Each time I got a nice email back. ^
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:31 pm
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
A change was just made for me as well when the ticket was booked in my short name and not my id name - was able to be changed - this has happened before when others are making my reservations - has sometimes been difficult to correct but AA has come through on it
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Platinum
Ditto on having no problems after my error having the wrong person listed as my travel companion. I noticed it about four hours after purchase and the EXP desk fixed it in 30 seconds. Although, I heard a relieved laugh after I said "um, I wasn't supposed to take my wife, I was supposed to take my...co-worker." I suspect that she had heard the same thing in the past except that co-worker is substituted with "neice".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.