Wiki Posts
Search

AA miles on Orbitz, Expedia vacation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

AA miles on Orbitz, Expedia vacation?

Hi everyone...
I was looking for an air and hotel package for myself and a companion to MIA in June. After looking at several websites, I found that Orbitz had the lowest price for the hotel that we liked. As usual, I was given the chance to pick extras for this package. The airline of choice was AA. When it was time to enter our FF numbers, Orbitz has "This airline does not credit frequent flier miles to your account when the flight is part of a package". In other words, there was no place to put your FF number. Of course, I wanted FF miles.

So, I checked on Expedia and saw the same package for about $5 more. I went through the usual booking process and it asked me for our AA FF numbers. It, however, says "NOTE: Some vacation package flights may not qualify for frequent traveler points. We will pass your information to the airline, but we cannot guarantee that you will earn your frequent traveler points. Please confirm your frequent traveler information when you check in at the airport." I booked it in Expedia anyway and thought, unlike Orbitz, I could still get miles by booking through Expedia. I checked on my AA account, we were booked on Q class.

My question is... has anyone experienced something similar? After you took the vacation, did the miles get credited?

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Last edited by FlyerInCmh; Apr 28, 2006 at 11:52 pm
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:57 am

In terms of mileage credit, AA only cares about one thing - the fare code. They don't care where the ticket was purchased or how much you paid, so long as it's in an eligible fare class.

Mike
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Most airfare sold on third party sites earn AA miles...just like on AA.com. AA.com does actually sell international fares that do not earn miles (not common, but gotta watch!) and you know by watching what booking inventory/fare code you are being booked with.

Site59 and Cheaptickets seem to have more fares than other places that do not earn miles.... Also, you have to really watch with vacation packages, as they sometimes use non-mileage earning unpublished fares.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Most airfare sold on third party sites earn AA miles...just like on AA.com. AA.com does actually sell international fares that do not earn miles (not common, but gotta watch!) and you know by watching what booking inventory/fare code you are being booked with.

Site59 and Cheaptickets seem to have more fares than other places that do not earn miles.... Also, you have to really watch with vacation packages, as they sometimes use non-mileage earning unpublished fares.
Thanks for the responses!

I'm sorry if this is a basic question... but how can I tell if it's 'non-mileage earning published fares'?

Last edited by FlyerInCmh; Apr 29, 2006 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Thanks for the responses!

I'm sorry if this is a basic question... but how can I tell if it's 'non-mileage earning published fares'?
As noted already, it's all in the booking code. The rules for mileage earning are located on aa.com.

Mike
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
if your ticket is US domestic, then it will earn miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.