777 first class

Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
777 first class

How does the 2/2/2 configuration on AA FC 777 compare with the 1/2/1 on some flights? Almost looks like Business Class to me -
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 2-2-2 seats are lie flat. We call them coffins. Nothing at all like Business Class.

The 1-2-1 seats are lie flat individual seats called "Flagship Suites." Just about the nicest F suites in the sky.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Echoing that, there is a huge difference between J and F-coffins, and another huge difference between F-coffins and F-suites. All of the 777s will eventually (meaning 1-2 years I believe) be refitted with Suites. You can search airliners.net for more photos.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:29 pm

are you flying solo or with some one?
the 2-2-2 is not as bad as some might say.
its not as good as the 1-2-1 but is still light years ahead of J
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal opinion is that the difference between J and F coffins is much larger than the difference between F coffins and F suites. Particularly on an overnight flight when my main desire is simply a fully flat seat. I don't mind so much sleeping next to strangers, I've done plenty of that in my life.

The difference might be larger between the 2 F's on a daytime flight when traveling alone, in which case I would more highly value the extra personal space of the suites, but still probably not as large as the difference from J to F-coffins.

In any event, to the original poster -- do a search here on "coffins" and "suites" and you'll probably find a wealth of information discussing both configurations.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, Skywards, Flying Blue, Miles & More
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The 2-2-2 seats are lie flat. We call them coffins. Nothing at all like Business Class.

The 1-2-1 seats are lie flat individual seats called "Flagship Suites." Just about the nicest F suites in the sky.
"Just about the nicest F suites in the sky"

Have you tried EK, CX or SQ? Might want to.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Remember that on a 777 J is 2 x 3 x 2, so you know there is more room in a 2 x 2 x 2 configuration, to start with. Check SeatGuru.com for dimensions, etc. I've flown both configs a number of times, and as others say, there is a huge difference bewtween - especially 777 - J and Coffin F, lie flat etc. etc.

Flying with a companion is easier with coffins, as only the DG seats in Suite F make it reasonably easy to dialogue. The F Suite is possibly the best product up there - Coffin F is still nice, and though we get compalints when a coffin a/c is subbed for the suites one thought s/he had, wait until the 777s all have suites - and fewer F seats as a result.

I know at least one person who actually prefers the coffins. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Bruiser
How does the 2/2/2 configuration on AA FC 777 compare with the 1/2/1 on some flights? Almost looks like Business Class to me -
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by fly72

Especially EK -- their new F suites are simply unbelievable.

In order to not launch into a coffins vs. suites dialogue (which has been done so many times before), I suggest to the OP that you do a search.

The conclusion you will come to is that it is mostly an accepted fact that the suites are preferable to coffins (which is why AA is replacing coffins with suites) and that, despite lesser service, AA's suites compare favorably with the majority of F classes worldwide.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Problem being that FC out of MIA to LHR on some days only offers the 2/2/2 and I agree with the Suites - much better and I like the extra space the window suites offer. Can switch to BA but better connections with AA.

I am also finding that AA is only offering BC to CDG, as is Air France, out of ORD, MIA. Since that is my most direct route, I am also wondering how bad BC is on the 763.
Any opinions?

Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bruiser
I am also wondering how bad BC is on the 763.
Any opinions?

Thanks.
Another question that could be answered by search! Since this question does not have a generally accepted answer like your coffins vs. suites question, I think search would be best.

People generally agree that the seats are quite good on the 763 and that the service in J on the 763 is nearly identical to the service in F on a 777.

The seats are not lie-flat, however, and certainly not as comfortable as either the suites or coffins, IMHO.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, reportedly EK's suites don't "work" frequently, but on paper, yes, those probably are the nicest suites (while AA are "just about" the nicest seats).
Putting service aside, there's really nothing all that "special" about the CX F seats. There's no ottoman, and not a ton of work space unless you're in 4A/K, and even then it's not configured to take advantage of like in the AA suites, which you can swivel and work on the extra desk by the window in near-privacy. And the 2 pairs of center seats on CX (on a 747 at least, never been in F on an Airbus) don't have much storage/shelf space either.
Can't compare SQ, never flown it.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:52 pm

Many (myself inclusive) actually find the FS seat itself more comfortable and versatile than CX's F seat.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 28, 2006 at 1:57 pm
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
...really nothing all that "special" about the CX F seats. There's no ottoman, and not a ton of work space unless you're in 4A/K, and even then it's not configured to take advantage of like in the AA suites, which you can swivel and work on the extra desk by the window in near-privacy....

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Many (myself inclusive) actually find the FS seat itself more comfortable and versatile than CX's F seat.
I second that. CX's F seat is not as comfortable as AA's, are getting terribly outdated, and lacks support at the points below the knee....feels like your feet are dangling.....Also, the lack of an adjustable headrest is a huge inconvenience.....

AA's F seats also have the ottoman, which is useful for resting legs even during taxi/before take off/after landing......with CX's seats you will have to sit upright for the extended periods of taxi and pre take off/post landing.

As I and many others have said before, AA's F (Flagship Suites) seats are among the best, but alas, service in recent years has not lived up to the standard of the seats.......
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:14 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Shame about AA and the Switcheroo Seat Crapshoot, Awful Lounges, Geriatric FA's, Mediocre food,Plastic Flatware,Small Pillows and Blankets...other than that, the AA Suites are Better Now shall I have the cheese in the FL or The Rack of Lamb in The CX Pier.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkc22
I second that. CX's F seat is not as comfortable as AA's, are getting terribly outdated, and lacks support at the points below the knee....feels like your feet are dangling.....Also, the lack of an adjustable headrest is a huge inconvenience.....
I third it, The physical seat on AA F.S. is preferable to me over CX's current F-seat. (Although I'll take LX's over either.)
The food, service, lounges, IFE, etc., etc., CX beats the crap out of AA, but on seat alone, F.Suite is a winner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.