Wiki Posts
Search

MR to DEL question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
MR to DEL question

My wife will make EXP on 5 July assuming she does a MR of between 15 and 18K sometime between now and then. I've looked and looked for decent fares and the only thing I've found was PBI-ORD-DEL and back for around $900. Not great but a lot better than say anywhere in Europe which has all priced out just under $2K for fewer miles.

Here's the problem. We're traveling to Russia 11 May to 22 May and our passports are gone right now getting visa's. Were also gone the beginning of June. That leaves her the first week in May (after we get our passports back) and the end of June. The fare I found to DEL is the first week of May but we wouldn't have time to get her a visa for India. Has anyone done a MR to DEL without a visa? Is it possible to turn around there without clearing immigration? From what I've read it appears that it's not possible but I'm wondering what might happen if she just showed up without one since she'd be on a flight back about 4 hour's after she arrived.

thx.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:17 am

I don't think that AA will let you board without a visa.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by millionmiler
I don't think that AA will let you board without a visa.

Yup.. they do check for visa... I think the computer tells them too
BTW where did u find the fare?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenfry
BTW where did u find the fare?
aa.com. I searched using the "flexible dates" and the fare was 2 May returning 4 May. May be higher now but I haven't checked.

I guess if AA checks then DEL is a no go. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything else that's anywhere near that price per mile, which came out to around .05/mile.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:44 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
With all the great sales to Japan, why wouldn't you look at Tokyo or Kyoto?

My wife and I went to Kyoto two weeks ago and it was fantastic. ^
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't know if this will work for you or not, but it is the only thing that I can think of.

India has a consulate in Chicago. You should be able to take a passport in there to secure a visa. I have never done this there (or for an Indian visa at all), but for other countries it normally seems to take about an hour. A phone call should tell you whether they can issue a walk-in visa, how long it normally takes, and their hours of operation.

AA will not let you on the plane in PBI for India without the visa, so you can't do this on a long connection, but you could book a R/T PBI-ORD and another ORD-DEL. ORD-DEL is available on your May 2-4 dates for $828 ($100 less than from PBI). She could fly to ORD early on May 1, go to the consulate, get the visa, then get the plane to DEL the next day.

I wouldn't do this (I already have sufficient stress in my life), but it could work.

The Indian Consulate might have other suggestions. They want tourists to come to India. Don't tell them how long you plan to stay.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by RayinMaui
With all the great sales to Japan, why wouldn't you look at Tokyo or Kyoto?

My wife and I went to Kyoto two weeks ago and it was fantastic. ^
Most of those great fares to Japan seem to have minimum stay requirements (usually 6 days).
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
Most of those great fares to Japan seem to have minimum stay requirements (usually 6 days).
Yes, that's the problem with the Japan fares. I need her to be gone as little as possible in order to minimize the time I spend alone with my 3 and 5 year old!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
Yes, that's the problem with the Japan fares. I need her to be gone as little as possible in order to minimize the time I spend alone with my 3 and 5 year old!
Take them with you. They could become EXP, too.

That's lotsa quality time with the youngins.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's lotsa quality time with the youngins.
That would definitely be a lot of time with them, but I'm not sure I would choose the word "quality" to describe it.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
My wife will make EXP on 5 July assuming she does a MR of between 15 and 18K sometime between now and then. I've looked and looked for decent fares and the only thing I've found was PBI-ORD-DEL and back for around $900. Not great but a lot better than say anywhere in Europe which has all priced out just under $2K for fewer miles.

Here's the problem. We're traveling to Russia 11 May to 22 May and our passports are gone right now getting visa's. Were also gone the beginning of June. That leaves her the first week in May (after we get our passports back) and the end of June. The fare I found to DEL is the first week of May but we wouldn't have time to get her a visa for India. Has anyone done a MR to DEL without a visa? Is it possible to turn around there without clearing immigration? From what I've read it appears that it's not possible but I'm wondering what might happen if she just showed up without one since she'd be on a flight back about 4 hour's after she arrived.

thx.
Hey, I only have the vaguest idea of South Florida geography from when I used to go visit my aunts as a kid, but if you can get to MIA early on the morning of the 2nd returning on the 4th, aa.com is showing MIA-KIX for $551 + tax ($640 all in). Pretty damned good price IMHO for 15,000+ miles, especially if it gets her EXP, and double mileage for being PLT. That fare's unfortunately not available from PBI. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

thx.
I'm not sure I understand why she has to make EXP by 5 July, unless it's to have the VIPs for use early in the year. (Of course, I'm not sure why I pushed to requalify for EP by the end of June this year, either!)
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
If everything is in order, getting a visa for India takes about half a day (for US residents) if you go to the consulate in person.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by efamous
Hey, I only have the vaguest idea of South Florida geography from when I used to go visit my aunts as a kid, but if you can get to MIA early on the morning of the 2nd returning on the 4th, aa.com is showing MIA-KIX for $551 + tax ($640 all in). Pretty damned good price IMHO for 15,000+ miles, especially if it gets her EXP, and double mileage for being PLT. That fare's unfortunately not available from PBI. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I booked it. It's only an hour to MIA.

FWIW, I want her to make EXP on the 5th of July because we're flying ELP-ORD-LHR-BCN. She'll qualify for EXP on one of those flights and then on the return we'll have a shot at using the eVIP for the UG. We also have 7 hours in ORD and I want to be able to use the FL at ORD. Seven hours of drinking Guinness is a lot of fun.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks! I booked it. It's only an hour to MIA.

FWIW, I want her to make EXP on the 5th of July because we're flying ELP-ORD-LHR-BCN. She'll qualify for EXP on one of those flights and then on the return we'll have a shot at using the eVIP for the UG. We also have 7 hours in ORD and I want to be able to use the FL at ORD. Seven hours of drinking Guinness is a lot of fun.
I see... You want a cheap econ ticket to India or elsewhere in Asia, so she can get EVIP to upgrade to Europe (???) Am I the only one confuse here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.