Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too late for award to Hawaii for December?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:29 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Too late for award to Hawaii for December?

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii December 16-29 and have enough AAdvantage miles for a reduced mileage award (20K points + $350 for a coach ticket). I've called a couple times but there has not been award availability on that date. The agent said to call back frequently until award seats became available.

Is it unrealistic to keep calling back? I don't mind calling every day or two if there is a reasonable chance that I'll get something, but I don't want to waste my time if it's unlikely anything will open up.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
AGS
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
This is a tough time for availability, but it never hurts to call back.

Are you flexible on your dates? What cities are your flying to/from?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:03 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are you flying from and to?

Check all the Hawaii airports for availability.

HNL - Honolulu
OGG - Maui
KOA - Kona
LIH - Lihue

Once you are in the islands you can pick up an interisland flight to reach your final destination. There is a new airline entering the market and one-way fares can be had for $39+tax.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:14 am
AGS
Original Poster

I could change the dates a day or two either way but probably not much more than that. The agent said there was nothing after Dec 13th.

Here are the details of what I'm looking for:

DAY-HNL Dec 16th (Five nights at Hale Koa)
HNL-KOA Dec 21st (Six night award at Hilton Waikoloa and two nights at Kilauea Military Camp)
KOA-DAY Dec 29th

I already have all the hotels set up.

I was just trying to get DAY-HNL-DAY and do the interisland flights separately. I did that last year with an Oahu/Maui trip and it worked out OK.

AGS

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
This is a tough time for availability, but it never hurts to call back.

Are you flexible on your dates? What cities are your flying to/from?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:17 am
AGS
Original Poster

Good suggestion. I'm going to Oahu for five days and then the Big Island for eight. I was trying to get an award ticket to Honolulu or an open jaw award ticket (DAY-HNL, KOA-DAY) and then would do the interisland flight separately.

I'll try an award to the Big Island and then just catch an interisland flight over to HNL the first day.

What's the new airline entering the interisland market?

Thanks,
AGS

Originally Posted by HNL

HNL - Honolulu
OGG - Maui
KOA - Kona
LIH - Lihue

Once you are in the islands you can pick up an interisland flight to reach your final destination. There is a new airline entering the market and one-way fares can be had for $39+tax.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by AGS
Good suggestion. I'm going to Oahu for five days and then the Big Island for eight. I was trying to get an award ticket to Honolulu or an open jaw award ticket (DAY-HNL, KOA-DAY) and then would do the interisland flight separately.

I'll try an award to the Big Island and then just catch an interisland flight over to HNL the first day.

What's the new airline entering the interisland market?

Thanks,
AGS
Mesa Airlines Group's go! is the new airline.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:35 am

Also, I'm just looking on EF for availability and there are lots of seats open when routing through LAX/SFO around the 16th. You may want to try searching from DAY-LAX/SFO and the LAX-HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH as separate searches then write down the flight #s and call back and have the agent do that. Not sure on how many tickets you want but there are seats available on the 15th and 17th to HNL on a few different flights, as well as to the other islands. I'd use Expertflyer to check before calling again because many times the agents will not be as creative with their routing.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:19 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Gotta watch those LAX/SFO to HNL flights as there is only on 763 in the lot. The rest are 757 Slave Ships. Tho the OP is really asking about coach award tickets with no listed status so .. coach on either is about the same NOT GREAT!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by JGR01
Gotta watch those LAX/SFO to HNL flights as there is only on 763 in the lot. The rest are 757 Slave Ships. Tho the OP is really asking about coach award tickets with no listed status so .. coach on either is about the same NOT GREAT!
Yeah, the OP didn't mention anything about aircraft and since he's flying in coach its not that huge of a difference. Plus, he seems to be more concerned with getting a flight at all.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:04 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't even know that was an option. I'll take a look!

AGS

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Also, I'm just looking on EF for availability and there are lots of seats open when routing through LAX/SFO around the 16th. You may want to try searching from DAY-LAX/SFO and the LAX-HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH as separate searches then write down the flight #s and call back and have the agent do that. Not sure on how many tickets you want but there are seats available on the 15th and 17th to HNL on a few different flights, as well as to the other islands. I'd use Expertflyer to check before calling again because many times the agents will not be as creative with their routing.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:05 pm
AGS
Original Poster

No status and I'm 6' 7", so it will be a painful trip no matter what the routing.

AGS

Originally Posted by JGR01
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to book awards to HNL in Dec. - every date I tried comes up as only the AAnytime awards available - no MilesAAvers at all. Doesn't look like they have released any yet.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by gemac
I'm trying to book awards to HNL in Dec. - every date I tried comes up as only the AAnytime awards available - no MilesAAvers at all. Doesn't look like they have released any yet.
I see a fair amount of availability when searching for separate segments (i.e. BOS-LAX and LAX-HNL/OGG/etc). Try breaking it up because there are definitely some MileageSAAvers out there. Also, have you tried using expertflyer as there is lots of T inventory available.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by HNL

HNL - Honolulu
OGG - Maui
KOA - Kona
LIH - Lihue

I was in Hawaii when this low fare came on the news. As I understand it, the fare will only be from I think late June through September 30. It is being matched by the other inter-island airlines.

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steve32
I was in Hawaii when this low fare came on the news. As I understand it, the fare will only be from I think late June through September 30. It is being matched by the other inter-island airlines.

Steve
AAUI, Aloha and Hawaiian have announced the $39 fare from June 9 (the day that Mesa starts flying) until the end of September. Mesa seems to be selling at $43 through end of schedule. I'm guessing that AQ and HA will match at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.