How are AA's BOS-SNN flights doing?

Old Apr 8, 06, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
How are AA's BOS-SNN flights doing?

Curious to know about load factors--and will AA keep this nonstop flight going for another year? I'm thinking about booking this roundtrip for the "free" upgrade to F seating (Y service) but don't want to go this route if the BOS-SNN nonstop is likely to be canned in the next year.
Old Apr 8, 06, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There's been no news thus far and I assume that we would have started to hear rumblings if it was going to be canned, so perhaps no news is good news. That said, with AA you never know.
Old Apr 8, 06, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
I traveled BOS-SNN 30 March and the flight was full. Travled back on 4 April and the big Y was about 80% and the little Y about 50%. Oddly the AA seat map showed the little Y full the night before but it left with about half the seats open. A couple of people did move up after about an hour into the flight. There was also no mention of any type of upgrades at check-in.
Old Apr 8, 06, 11:05 pm

deleted

Last edited by mesadler; Apr 8, 06 at 11:08 pm Reason: Answered by own question
Old Apr 9, 06, 7:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
The flight performs very well. With a new US-Ireland air treaty that makes the 50/50 rule a 25/75 rule, expect AA to add BOS-DUB and JFK-DUB with 757s. Also, Aer Lingus on MIA-DUB within a year is almost definite.
Old Apr 9, 06, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The flight performs very well. With a new US-Ireland air treaty that makes the 50/50 rule a 25/75 rule, expect AA to add BOS-DUB and JFK-DUB with 757s. Also, Aer Lingus on MIA-DUB within a year is almost definite.
Besides any personal experience, do you have any official docs or numbers about the flight as I'm curious where you get your conclusion that the flight "performs very well?"
Old Apr 9, 06, 10:42 am

Just took this flight March 31, main cabin looked to be about 90% full, no seats empty in front. On the return on April 5, I didn't look in the back, but there were two empty seats in front. Whan we checked in, there was a sign offering upgrades to the front section for 150 Euros, don't know if there were any takers.
Duty Free in Shannon has certainly caught the tourist pricing fever...very few reasonable prices, but the airport itself is a pleasure to use.
Old Apr 9, 06, 10:43 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by flyupfront
Curious to know about load factors--and will AA keep this nonstop flight going for another year? I'm thinking about booking this roundtrip for the "free" upgrade to F seating (Y service) but don't want to go this route if the BOS-SNN nonstop is likely to be canned in the next year.
If you're itching to fly it, go ahead and purchase a ticket on this service. If it is cancelled, you can always request a full refund.
Old Apr 9, 06, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cork airport is expanding (expansion due to go online 10 May 2006). Do you expect AA to add (or shift from SNN) to there when that happens?

Since SNN is "in the middle of nowhere", I'm not clear if it's an AA destination because it's an ideal location or just because it's the only practical airport in that part of Ireland NOW. My understanding is SNN was built as a refueling stopover to Europe in the days of shorter-range planes, not as an O/D airport. But I'm curious on whether Cork would make more sense as an O/D airport than SNN once Cork can handle the capacity.
Old Apr 9, 06, 11:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 3.1MM, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Cork airport is expanding (expansion due to go online 10 May 2006). Do you expect AA to add (or shift from SNN) to there when that happens?

Since SNN is "in the middle of nowhere", I'm not clear if it's an AA destination because it's an ideal location or just because it's the only practical airport in that part of Ireland NOW. My understanding is SNN was built as a refueling stopover to Europe in the days of shorter-range planes, not as an O/D airport. But I'm curious on whether Cork would make more sense as an O/D airport than SNN once Cork can handle the capacity.
I wouldn't quite agree that SNN is in the middle of nowhere. It's an established gateway to the west of Ireland, fairly well positioned for anyone wishing to get to Galway, Limerick, the southwest, etc.

ORK is tough. I believe it was last summer that Ryan International (no relation to Michael O'Leary & crew at Ryanair) was contracted to fly 757 charters a couple of times a week to New York. It never got off the ground, even with some fairly aggressive pricing. On that basis alone, it's tough to see ORK getting scheduled transatlantic service. Certainly, it can handle the capacity, but there's no shortage of capacity at SNN, either, and SNN has a larger catchment area.
Old Apr 9, 06, 11:58 am

Programs: Primary: AA & Hilton HHonors; Also United Premier, *wood
Originally Posted by OWdevotee
I wouldn't quite agree that SNN is in the middle of nowhere. It's an established gateway to the west of Ireland, fairly well positioned for anyone wishing to get to Galway, Limerick, the southwest, etc.
I agree 100%. I did the BOS-SNN route in June, 05 and December, '05. SNN is positioned well to get to anyplace on western side of Ireland. Due to relatively poor roads in Ireland, it makes things MUCH better and easier, over going to DUB and driving. Being an avid golfer, it means easier access to the better courses on the west side of the country.
Old Apr 9, 06, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Besides any personal experience, do you have any official docs or numbers about the flight as I'm curious where you get your conclusion that the flight "performs very well?"
I'm also curious...

MAH4546 has also posted in the past that AA will begin a nonstop 757 service from Miami to Asuncion (replacing the cancelled extension of the flight to Sao Paulo) and next year will launch a large number of 757 flights from Miami to secondary Brazilian cities (i.e. Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte). I asked where the info came from because it would be great news if true, but there was no response and no citation whatsoever.
Old Apr 9, 06, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
A few thoughts

MAH4546 has credibility on AA matters, IMHO. I've gotten a heads up 3-4 times on schedule/destination changes. Sometimes insiders can't give too much away about their sources.

SNN is indeed where it is as the last fueling point before Greenland, in the days of the shorthoppers . I've posted before about the Flying Boat Museum (flyingboatmuseum.com) in Foynes, in C. Limerick across the Shannon from SNN, perhaps a 40 minute drive. It's not worth the trip from SNN on its own but if you're in the area it's a nice 2 hour roll back memory lane. You will then be able to tell your granchildren that you visited the birthplace of Irish coffee...

The problem with ORK is that although Cork is a large city it isn't really near anything else. Although SNN appears to be/is in the middle of nowhere it is more centrally located to Galway and Clare while still able to serve Cork and Limerick in a way that ORK could not. Ireland just ain't that big a place to support international flights in/out of more than a handful of airports.
Old Apr 9, 06, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
AA has to serve Shannon to fly to Dublin. For every one flight an airline flies between the US/Canada and Dublin, they must fly one to Shannon. In November, it will become 1 Shannon flight for every 3 Dublin flights.

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
I'm also curious...
MAH4546 has also posted in the past that AA will begin a nonstop 757 service from Miami to Asuncion (replacing the cancelled extension of the flight to Sao Paulo) and next year will launch a large number of 757 flights from Miami to secondary Brazilian cities (i.e. Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte). I asked where the info came from because it would be great news if true, but there was no response and no citation whatsoever.
The info comes from good sources, but I won't disclose it. Asuncion likely isn't happening, the talk lately is they are looking at Cordoba, Argentina. New cities in Brazil will not happen until Brazil and the US agree on a new air treaty, but AA is ready to step in once that happens, probably BSB and CNF first.
Old Apr 10, 06, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 206013671
I agree 100%. I did the BOS-SNN route in June, 05 and December, '05. SNN is positioned well to get to anyplace on western side of Ireland. Due to relatively poor roads in Ireland, it makes things MUCH better and easier, over going to DUB and driving.
That much is obvious. I wasn't comparing to DUB though, I was comparing to ORK (Cork), which is also on the western side of Ireland (somewhat further south tho), and near a real city.

And the "relateively poor roads in Ireland" is exactly my concern! From what I read, you have to allow (worst case) LOTS of time from the Cork area to SNN if you have that SNN-BOS flight going out in the morning. If you're jetlagged and getting up late (because it was a short trip), you thus want to stay near the airport the last night. But since it's "in the middle of nowhere", there's not a ton of airport-close hotels to choose from, and not a frequent train or CONSTANT bus shuttle from the nearest town (I read things in my guidebook like 3 a day to here, 4 a day to there, and such).

What is the area right around SNN like? Why aren't there more airport hotels, if it's such a great O/D airport now? (Or are there, but theyre just so new no one lists them?)

Search this Thread