Suspended
Original Poster

Post New policy to be implemented on repeat challenges

In this thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=policy
You will notice this language:
Because you earned your Platinum status on a challenge in 2004, for the
2005 membership year, you are not eligible for a Platinum challenge to
regain Platinum status for the 2006 membership year.
Which I noted sounded like a new policy. Apparently it is. HOWEVER, it is not programmed into the system yet, so most agents would have no way of knowing about it-- unless they go looking.

I would GUESS based on this two things:
1. It's probably better to call, not e-mail, at this point if looking to challenge a second year in a row.
2. That as time goes on, it will become officially undoable to challenge two years in a row-- and maybe even more limitation than that.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
In this thread:
2. That as time goes on, it will become officially undoable to challenge two years in a row-- and maybe even more limitation than that.
And that would be a great thing!!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
I agree. Consecutive repeat challenges defeat the whole purpose of the program, IMO. It's supposed to demonstrate a commitment level that will be maintained in the future. I know some people won't like this...but I agree with it.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT MM
I think a high post, low BIS FT'r just threw up on his keyboard when he read this.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrishBOS
I've been reluctant to comment on it over time, but, I definitely agree. The system as it is now makes zero sense.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plasticman
I think a high post, low BIS FT'r just threw up on his keyboard when he read this.
ROTFLMAO!

At least my solace is knowing that I qualified in early 05 for Plat on a challenge, went to earn EXP by July, probably won't qualify for next year (maybe not even platinum), but at least I get soft landing to Gold until Feb '09...that is unless they eliminate that "benefit"! (Though I'll probably resume enough travel before then to continue qualifying the good 'ol fashioned way).
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It's about time frankly. If we trim the field to people who earn 50K annually maybe they can start to pony up something nicer over time. Selling status should go as well. Fly it or lose it, simple.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by brp
I agree. Consecutive repeat challenges defeat the whole purpose of the program, IMO. It's supposed to demonstrate a commitment level that will be maintained in the future. I know some people won't like this...but I agree with it.

Cheers.

Agreed. Challenges are there to bridge elite travelers from a competing program to the AA.

Time to cull the herd!! ^ ^
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Hear! Hear!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:20 am

In this thread:
You will notice this language:

Which I noted sounded like a new policy. Apparently it is. HOWEVER, it is not programmed into the system yet, so most agents would have no way of knowing about it-- unless they go looking.

I would GUESS based on this two things:
1. It's probably better to call, not e-mail, at this point if looking to challenge a second year in a row.
I don't think that calling is going to make a difference. I have a friend who last did a Platinum Challenge in November 2004. When she tried to start a challenge in early March 2006, three separate agents told her that "the system would not allow it" because of her previous challenge.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
I don't think that calling is going to make a difference. I have a friend who last did a Platinum Challenge in November 2004. When she tried to start a challenge in early March 2006, three separate agents told her that "the system would not allow it" because of her previous challenge.
Well it's not in the system yet so those agents were obviously advised of the change, but used "the system" as the reason. The internal announcement of this change is very recent.
Personally, I have -no- doubt that we will continue to see reports of people being able to sign up on consecutive years, but we will simultaneously see an increase in those reporting what you have.
Over time, the reports of the latter will overtake the reports of the former-- but whether that will be weeks, months or longer (think VIP e-bank), I have no idea.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:49 am

Well it's not in the system yet so those agents were obviously advised of the change, but used "the system" as the reason. The internal announcement of this change is very recent.
Personally, I have -no- doubt that we will continue to see reports of people being able to sign up on consecutive years, but we will simultaneously see an increase in those reporting what you have.
Over time, the reports of the latter will overtake the reports of the former-- but whether that will be weeks, months or longer (think VIP e-bank), I have no idea.
My friend was particulary ticked because she had called in February 2006 and asked if she would be allowed to do another challenge starting in March. The agent that she spoke with that time assured her that she would, but told her to call back in March because she could not start another challenge until her Platinum status expired at the end of February. Based on that info, she bought an AA ticket to Singapore for mid-March at a fare that would earn 1 Q-Point per mile. When she called back in early March to start the challenge, she was refused all 3 times and even talking to a supervisor and explaining what the AA agent had told her in February did no good.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:00 pm

My friend was particulary ticked because she had called in February 2006 and asked if she would be allowed to do another challenge starting in March. The agent that she spoke with that time assured her that she would, but told her to call back in March because she could not start another challenge until her Platinum status expired at the end of February. Based on that info, she bought an AA ticket to Singapore for mid-March at a fare that would earn 1 Q-Point per mile. When she called back in early March to start the challenge, she was refused all 3 times and even talking to a supervisor and explaining what the AA agent had told her in February did no good.
If she wanted to keep that status, she could have bought it assuming she met whatever the target criteria was for that offer. If she didn't meet the criteria for a status buy, saw a repeat as a way not shell out the cash, or just plain doesnt fly 50K BIS, then your friend has no business being a PLT.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 7, 2006 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The interesting thing is, I just have -not- seen a lot of reports of this type here on FT-- and I'm quite firmly under the impression that he have a pretty substantial group of "serial challengers." I wonder if the "no" answer has been occurring pretty frequently already and folks didn't want to post it? Doesn't seem too likely..

Well, in any case, looks like the game has changed, or is starting to.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
It's about time AA puts a stop to this practice. I challenged for Gold, then Plat few years ago and never looked back. I've been EXP for 3-4 years now. I believe that is the true intention of this unpublished perk. OTOH scheduling 1 long flight in March every year to get the 10K QPs necessary for Plat and then flying 5-10-20K miles with all the benefits, is NOT.

I hope AA will institute once in a lifetime rule for challenges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.