FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Matching Status even to EXP - Doesn't sound like it can be true (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/545493-aa-matching-status-even-exp-doesnt-sound-like-can-true.html)

dave_261 Apr 7, 2006 7:21 am

AA Matching Status even to EXP - Doesn't sound like it can be true

OK OK OK... I personally don't buy it, but there's a thread on the NW board which references 2 people hearing that people have been offered:
- status match (including one to EXP)
- match whatever current mileage balance is in his NW account
- provide an Admirals Clum membership if currently a NW WorldClub member

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544780

Honestly, I think all 3 are a total load of cr@p. The status match is at least plausible as it has been done before (albeit less on AA due to the challenge), but matching miles and a club membership??? Never...

olimaspecto Apr 7, 2006 7:22 am

Total BS. There is no way this is true.

inlanikai Apr 7, 2006 7:22 am

Say it ain't so. :eek:

millionmiler Apr 7, 2006 7:25 am

Maybe AA will double my miles to keep me from defecting to NW. ;)

SteveChicago Apr 7, 2006 7:28 am

Yeah

It's true - and in F from ORD to LHR on Wednesday night, they were handing out warm $100 bills instead of the hot towels! In flight foot-massages from supermodels, too. :D

I think that the April-foolers are a little late, given that it's now the 7th. It's a funny old world.

Steve

millionmiler Apr 7, 2006 7:33 am

Originally Posted by SteveChicago
It's true - and in F from ORD to LHR on Wednesday night, they were handing out warm $100 bills instead of the hot towels! In flight foot-massages from supermodels, too. :D

I think that the April-foolers are a little late, given that it's now the 7th. It's a funny old world.

Steve

They used to be $100 bills last week but this week they have cut back to $20's to lower costs and the FA's have to pay it out of their own pockets.

chsb Apr 7, 2006 8:25 am

Got to be BS. Especially one who the NW flier that says AA comped him to EXP. NW doesn't even have a status that is equal to EXP.

BigBopper Apr 7, 2006 8:50 am

AA comp'd me EXP status and all I had to do was fly 100,000 miles.

ijgordon Apr 7, 2006 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper
AA comp'd me EXP status and all I had to do was fly 100,000 miles.

Well, I only had to fly about 80,000... ;)

JonNYC Apr 7, 2006 9:03 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
OK OK OK... I personally don't buy it
...Honestly, I think all 3 are a total load of cr@p.
...Never...

That being the case, perhaps you could have been posted it with a title that would reflect same?

dave_261 Apr 7, 2006 9:26 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That being the case, perhaps you could have been posted it with a title that would reflect same?

Mod: Feel free to alter the title as you see fit to avoid any potential confusion.

JonNYC Apr 7, 2006 10:09 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
Mod: Feel free to alter the title as you see fit to avoid any potential confusion.

I think that might be for the best-- just MHO.

I'm not even passing judgment as to if there might be some legitimacy to this (certainly -not- exactly as detailed in that thread, IMHO, but who knows, maybe some kind of tightly targeted match went out) I just think it's best to brand something a rumor if there's definitely no first-hand confirmation of same available-- especially something likely to create a lot of interest (and heat) and something that, on the surface, seems so unlikely.

Fraser Apr 7, 2006 10:17 am

This might sound daft but if AA targetted the 'EXP matcher' how would AA know the guy had an NW account? In the UK the Data Protection Act wouldn't allow NW to share their info on the person in question unless they signed it away somewhere.

Or he answered an AA questionnaire that stated he flew NW so many times a year to the tune of XX,XXX miles.

Either way the conversation seems to make sense and non-sense at the same time. If AA can legally approach the guy as an NW flyer then now would be a good time, with CoachChoice being a bit of an upset and all...but then AA are pretty keen on directing would be compers to Gold/Plat challenge.

925 Apr 7, 2006 10:20 am

Perhaps a grain of truth?

Remember that to get a large corporate account AA might do some status matching or even mile matching or club matching MIGHT be possible. But certainly NOT for mere mortals like us.

BearX220 Apr 7, 2006 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
This might sound daft but if AA targetted the 'EXP matcher' how would AA know the guy had an NW account?

They have ways of trolling and targeting premium flyers, but I don't know what they are. I was given Premier Executive status on United on the strength of my NW activity, and I'm sure NW didn't share the data voluntarily.