FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   HNL-JFK in J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/545489-hnl-jfk-j.html)

AA-Platinum Apr 7, 2006 7:13 am

HNL-JFK in J

There are two possibilities and I would be interested in knowing the opinion of people who have done this:

AA 162 (763) Dep HNL 1:25pm; Arr LAX 9:25pm
AA 10 (762) Dep LAX 10:30pm; Arr JFK 6:49am

AA 298 (757) Dep HNL 9:25pm; Arr LAX 5:31am
AA 118 (762) Dep LAX 7:00am; Arr JFK 3:26pm

In either case, we will be connecting from an HA flight from LIH (no, we can not take the direct LIH-LAX flight). How long should we need for this connection?

Thanks

RachelG Apr 7, 2006 7:18 am

I would certainly pick option A as far as the HNL-JFK part as it avoids the 757.

As far as connection times, I would allow at least 2 hrs. The interisland flights are in a completely different terminal than the AA flights--it is a pleasant walk but a ways, and the problem is that of the possibility of the HA flight running late, which has happened to me before. I made my AA flight but just barely. THere is a wonderful AC in HNL if you are a member.

inlanikai Apr 7, 2006 7:20 am

This is a no brainer for me. Take the early flight (162) ex-HNL on the 763 to LAX. The red-eye ex-HNL is impossible to get any sleep on, especially in a 757.

Personally, I would prefer HNL-ORD-LGA which leaves HNL around 4:30 pm. A nice long red-eye in a 763. Second chocie is HNL-DFW-LGA (or JFK) on 102 which is the second departure ex-HNL and leaves around 6p-7p.

Connecting at HNL from the Neighbor Island is not a problem. Worst case its about a 15 minute walk from one gate to the other and if you are an AC member, the AC is half way between the two.

AA-Platinum Apr 7, 2006 7:31 am

Originally Posted by RachelG
I would certainly pick option A as far as the HNL-JFK part as it avoids the 757.

As far as connection times, I would allow at least 2 hrs. The interisland flights are in a completely different terminal than the AA flights--it is a pleasant walk but a ways, and the problem is that of the possibility of the HA flight running late, which has happened to me before. I made my AA flight but just barely. THere is a wonderful AC in HNL if you are a member.

That was my instinct too; thanks

AA-Platinum Apr 7, 2006 7:32 am

Originally Posted by inlanikai
This is a no brainer for me. Take the early flight (162) ex-HNL on the 763 to LAX. The red-eye ex-HNL is impossible to get any sleep on, especially in a 757.

Personally, I would prefer HNL-ORD-LGA which leaves HNL around 4:30 pm. A nice long red-eye in a 763. Second chocie is HNL-DFW-LGA (or JFK) on 102 which is the second departure ex-HNL and leaves around 6p-7p.

Connecting at HNL from the Neighbor Island is not a problem. Worst case its about a 15 minute walk from one gate to the other and if you are an AC member, the AC is half way between the two.

Would that i could take either of these options (especially since LGA is much more convenient for me than JFK). Unfortunately, I am flying with people who are using miles and there is no availability on anyting x-HNL other than LAX.

cbender Apr 7, 2006 7:36 am

I've done them both (and the HNL-ORD-LGA routing too, although not in J). Choice A is the best for a couple of reasons:

1) The 763 from HNL-LAX is a great plane in J. That's where I've received the best service of all of my domestic AA flights. The 757 is not good!

2) The 762 redeye is a good flight to sleep on. Plus, you get you back to NY in time for a shower and to go to work. If you take the later flight, you'll just feel grubby most of the way on the LAX-JFK leg, and then arrive back in NY with too little of the day left to do anything with.

You asked about interisland connections. I connect from Hilo, and generally leave an hour and a half, or sometimes more. If I'm on 162 HNL-LAX, I'll take the 11:00 from Hilo. I can "stroll" from the interisland terminal to the main terminal in about 15 minutes. If I'm pinched for time, I can do it in less than 10 without running. The wiki-wiki shuttle is slower because you have to leave security.

If I could get the HNL-ORD-LGA routing in J, I'd consider it. LGA is a much less convienent airport for me, but the longer flight is great for sleeping.

rrt26nyc Apr 7, 2006 10:45 am

While I agree with the in-flight benefits of avoiding the 757, and the better sleep situation on the 763, IMO it also depends on where you would rather spend your time. By selecting option B, you can remain in paradise for the better part of the day. Beware though, watching the sunset in paradise may compel you to miss the flight altogether. :-)

JGR01 Apr 7, 2006 2:06 pm

If sleeping is the main requirement... why not do HNL-ORD then an easier connection ORD-LGA (or eagle to JFK). If you want the J experiences of the transcon that is fine.. but to me the longer trip on the 763 to ORD (or DFW) would be a better bet than the shortie to LAX or SFO.

AA-Platinum Apr 7, 2006 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
If sleeping is the main requirement... why not do HNL-ORD then an easier connection ORD-LGA (or eagle to JFK). If you want the J experiences of the transcon that is fine.. but to me the longer trip on the 763 to ORD (or DFW) would be a better bet than the shortie to LAX or SFO.

As I noted earlier today, would that I could

gemac Apr 7, 2006 5:07 pm

Not to be too picky, but I think the only flight among all those discussed that even offers J is LAX-JFK.

JGR01 Apr 7, 2006 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Platinum
As I noted earlier today, would that I could

DUH.... did not see you were traveling with others.

Since that is the case .. its kinda hard to make a lot of corrections now.