AA BOS-SAN one drink and one water

Old Apr 4, 06, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

AA BOS-SAN one drink and one water

I flew BOS to SAN last week in Coach a 6 hour and 13 minute flight outbound and 5 hour and 24 minute flight home. Just one beverage service and one water service on each leg. Yes you can buy a snack box for $4 raisins,peanuts and processed cheese or 1/2 turkey sand for $5. On a flight that long that basically means that everyone around me had brought in Mcdonalds, Chinese food etc.. and the plane smelled awful after about 30 minutes... Then some people placed there trash all over the place on the floor in the seatback etc.. Would like to see something a bit better for a flight that length in coach. I really like American Airlines but this pushing the limits.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:09 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by mgolshan
I flew BOS to SAN last week in Coach a 6 hour and 13 minute flight outbound and 5 hour and 24 minute flight home. Just one beverage service and one water service on each leg. Yes you can buy a snack box for $4 raisins,peanuts and processed cheese or 1/2 turkey sand for $5. On a flight that long that basically means that everyone around me had brought in Mcdonalds, Chinese food etc.. and the plane smelled awful after about 30 minutes... Then some people placed there trash all over the place on the floor in the seatback etc.. Would like to see something a bit better for a flight that length in coach. I really like American Airlines but this pushing the limits.
and this is different from any other airline how? Well, except CO and their meal
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
and this is different from any other airline how? Well, except CO and their meal
Most will offer you give you the whole can of soda... Most other airlines who I have flown transcontinental will throw in a bag of peanuts or equivalent and ask for trash more than once on a flight...
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Right, domestic travel is basically bus service....based on the fares available today, flying isn't what it used to be and the airlines know that the average traveler isn't willing to pay for anything other than the flight. I don't see it improving.....ever. Agree that CO provides the very best domestic service to the business traveler. I use them whenever I can but living in Dallas, its not always the best option.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:24 pm

Most will offer you give you the whole can of soda... Most other airlines who I have flown transcontinental will throw in a bag of peanuts or equivalent and ask for trash more than once on a flight...

Did you ask for the whole can? I'm sure they would have given it to you. People don't fly for the service anymore, they fly based on price. SO everyone that brought on their mcdonalds and manchu wok that smelled that plane up, probably paid 100 bucks for their ticket and knew enough to bring food.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Did you ask for the whole can? I'm sure they would have given it to you. People don't fly for the service anymore, they fly based on price. SO everyone that brought on their mcdonalds and manchu wok that smelled that plane up, probably paid 100 bucks for their ticket and knew enough to bring food.
I did ask for the whole can but they said they maybe short Diet Coke, did not ask for a substitute. I don't know what the others paid, but I paid more than $100. I flew AA because in general I like the airline and it is the only direct flight that I know of from Boston to San Diego.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:39 pm

I did ask for the whole can but they said they maybe short Diet Coke, did not ask for a substitute. I don't know what the others paid, but I paid more than $100. I flew AA because in general I like the airline and it is the only direct flight that I know of from Boston to San Diego.
I would love to see all the nice amenities return, and not to mention, it would be nice to see all our passengers, such as yourself, happier. Unfortunately, I think those days are gone..it's all about nickle and diming the passengers to death. As long as fares stay this low, nothing will change
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I would love to see all the nice amenities return, and not to mention, it would be nice to see all our passengers, such as yourself, happier. Unfortunately, I think those days are gone..it's all about nickle and diming the passengers to death. As long as fares stay this low, nothing will change
I agree, you are correct
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. And nothing will change until a legacy or three are combined with others or liquidated. Too many high-cost seats chasing too few high-fare payors. Fares need to go up, and that will happen when some go out of business.
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
As long as fares stay this low, nothing will change
Or if oil prices were to fall dramatically (very unlikely)...

Those few people who are still interested in paying for service on domestic routes can fly F. I think you'd find F prices have fallen significantly in the past few years as airlines try to capture the market that wants service on domestic routes.

I agree that it is a downright shame that flights over 5.5 hours do not have meal service. Honestly, it's a disgrace. But frankly its a symptom of an unhealthy airline industry.
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
On a flight that long that basically means that everyone around me had brought in Mcdonalds, Chinese food etc..
Sounds like everyone around you planned a little bit better than you did, huh?
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
I guess in your opinion planning with McDonalds is a good option? I fly a bit and I just find that the with the current state of airline service/fares/fuel prices that for those of us who fly in coach or have to fly in coach that for a 6 plus hour flight a few better meal options that can be paid for by the customer may offset some of the ridiculous items some people bring on board for food.

Most of us who do not have preexisting medical conditions can fly 6 hours without eating so no I did not want to or have to bring anything onboard....
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I don't understand this statement. What does other people deciding to bring food onto the flight have to do with AA providing only minimal drink and trash collection service on the flight?

I've flown many UA transcons recently where the drink and trash collection service was far better than what the OP described.
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I guess in your opinion planning with McDonalds is a good option? I fly a bit and I just find that the with the current state of airline service/fares/fuel prices that for those of us who fly in coach or have to fly in coach that for a 6 plus hour flight a few better meal options that can be paid for by the customer may offset some of the ridiculous items some people bring on board for food.

Most of us who do not have preexisting medical conditions can fly 6 hours without eating so no I did not want to or have to bring anything onboard....
I was just being facetious. But airline food in coach, at least in my adult lifetime, never was any better or any healthier than McDonalds. My point is that domestic (and often international) coach travel in today's world requires a little planning if you want to eat or drink. For better or worse, it's just the way it is.
Old Apr 4, 06, 4:04 pm

Sounds like all the new airlines to me, especially the profit leader, Southwest who does drinks and peanuts only (no box lunches or reserved seats)

Search this Thread