738's & M80's Condition of Aircraft

Old Apr 4, 06, 9:59 am
Original Poster

738's & M80's Condition of Aircraft

Have been on some flights lately where the planes are in awful shape even in First. Is this inherent of these types of aircraft or just luck of the draw where I have flown. Are the 738's from DFW to LGA usually the nicer new planes? Aside from 777's, are there any class of planes in general that don't look & feel so ragged. We've had broken tray tables, loose cushions, icky bathrooms, etc.
Old Apr 4, 06, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
My flights over the last several weeks have been just the opposite. The cabins have been very clean and have not looked really worn at all.
Old Apr 4, 06, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've found that AA makes pretty liberal use of duct tape to hold things together, particularly wall panels that are popping out. Can't say I've had any problem with seats or trays.

Tom in the AC at PHL
Old Apr 4, 06, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by balthus
Aside from 777's, are there any class of planes in general that don't look & feel so ragged. We've had broken tray tables, loose cushions, icky bathrooms, etc.
Even 777s aren't immune. Last week on a JFK-LHR flight, my seatmate's tray table broke right off and fell in her lap. Of course, Business class was sold out, so she got to eat with the tray table resting on a pillow in her lap. Not comfy.
Old Apr 4, 06, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
That is an interesting observation. I would say that the C seat on the 777 is the seat that shows the most wear and tear in the universe of all AA seats I sit in.

My universe over the past year: MD80 F + 777 C + 737 F

I have also seen duct tape go into action while we board once or twice, but this isn't unique to AA.
Old Apr 4, 06, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I have also seen duct tape go into action while we board once or twice, but this isn't unique to AA.
Hehe - reminds me of a lesson learned from my dad: "If you have duct tape and WD-40, you can fix anything"
Old Apr 4, 06, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I was in a pretty shoddy MD80 this past weekend. The interior panels on the wall were separating leaving gaps, accent pieces on the floor were missing or loose and then as I was walking past first class on the way out I saw pieces of blue maintenance tape securing panels on the wall, near the floor.

I generally like the MD80s but some of the older ones are really showing their age.
Old Apr 4, 06, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP
From my own duct tape experiences - I was on a 757 last summer (my first AA flight in a good number of years, actually). The covering on the armrest came off, and my shirt got torn on it when I stood up to go to the lav. I mentioned it to the flight attendant, who asked me if I wanted duct tape for that. It took me a solid 20 seconds of staring blankly to figure out that she meant for the armrest rather than for my shirt.

In general, the S80s and 777s I've been on recently have felt pretty and seemed in good shape. I suppose the last 763 I was on was in decent shape, but entering it was still a bit of a shock after a number of 777 flights. I'd forgotten that interiors have improved.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Slightly OT, but relating to the tape...

A friend flew on whatever that Vegas airline used to be (National?) a couple of years ago.

He claims that the pilot told them they had a slight delay as the maintenance crew was going to use some 'speed tape' to fasten down a loose panel of some kind on one of the engines. Friend claims that pilot made sure to tell the passengers that this tape was 'rated' to something like 400+ knots as to assure that one shouldn't fear an engine being repaired with tape.

I don't know about now, as I'm currently in fear-of-flying remission (22 segments YTD), but back then I might have walked right off the plane.
Old Apr 4, 06, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I was in a pretty shoddy MD80 this past weekend. The interior panels on the wall were separating leaving gaps, accent pieces on the floor were missing or loose and then as I was walking past first class on the way out I saw pieces of blue maintenance tape securing panels on the wall, near the floor.
I may be mistaken, but I believe you are talking about the blue security tape, which is used to speed up the security searches of the aircraft. Has nothing to do with maintenance. Lots of AA aircraft have featured that tape on those panels for over four years now.
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I may be mistaken, but I believe you are talking about the blue security tape, which is used to speed up the security searches of the aircraft. Has nothing to do with maintenance. Lots of AA aircraft have featured that tape on those panels for over four years now.
Ehh, good call, learn something new every day. I should of thought about that for a second, I just assumed it was for maintenance purposes.
Old Apr 4, 06, 4:05 pm
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
The 738s and M80s that I've been on recently have been in pretty good shape. Now, I've only seen the first few rows, so I can't comment on the condition of the rest of the plane One consistent issue is that the later in the day I fly, the crappier the planes look. There are so many inconsiderate and plain sloppy flyers out there, most of the planes look like pig pens by the last flight of the day.

The worst and shoddiest plane I've been on in recent memory was a 757 betweeen DFW and SAN. It was in such poor condition, I found it hard to believe that AA was actually flying it. The interior was dirty, falling apart and my seat had an exposed sharp edge that ripped my pants
Old Apr 4, 06, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Here's one in the 'dirty' planes column.

I don't know anything about cabin maintenance, so I can't say how difficult it is or isn't to keep them clean. And I should point out that I've definitely been finding the cabins to be 'tidy' so I'm not complaining about the FAs or cleanup at turn. Rather, there just seems to be a lot of crumbs, residue, and overall just not clean...liness...as it were.
Old Apr 11, 06, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
For most of my flights, the cabins are pretty dirty. There are never traces of a vacuum going through a cabin, or the tray tables getting cleaned. I'm thinking that it's not part of the cleaning crew's job between flights...
Old Apr 11, 06, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL D, AA LTP 2.6MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hotstepper
For most of my flights, the cabins are pretty dirty. There are never traces of a vacuum going through a cabin, or the tray tables getting cleaned. I'm thinking that it's not part of the cleaning crew's job between flights...
Remember, the Mad Dogs are the commuter buses in the sky for our beloved AA. Yes, they can get a little sticky on the evening flights!

Honestly, I think they do a great job of maintaining a senblense of cleanliness.

The fleet is a hybrid of AA metal and inherited TW metal which had not been renovated since TW was afflicted with the dreaded Ichan desease.

If you want to see grungy, fly poor disrespected NW a few times!

Search this Thread