Trouble with decipher all the Classes(Y,S,M)

Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Trouble with decipher all the Classes(Y,S,M)

Sorry, I'm new to this forum and having trouble understanding all the flight classes (ex: Y,M,J,S and more, etc)
Anyone have a link or could describe what all the letters mean so I could further understand what everyone is writing about.
Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow I'll take a stab at it... and ask for correction / clarification

It's not that clear, and it can change - and this pertains only to AA. I'll take a stab here: so far, as I understand it - and others will correct or add, and I am modifying this as they do (THANKS, FT colleagues!)

FIRST CLASS
F = Full price First Class
A = Discount First Class with RTW (Round The World ticket,) upgraded using VIP, miles (and I've had some YUPs book here.)
P = First Class on three-class domestic a/c (767-223ERs,) YUPP upgrades to First
X = 500-miles or comp EXP upgrade domestic First Class
Z = Award First Class (no miles / points earned)

BUSINESS CLASS
J = Full price Business Class
D = Discount Business Class / Business and RTW tickets
C = Upgraded to Business using VIPs, miles...
I = Highly discounted Business Class, lots of conditions, not upgradable
R = 500-miles or comp EXP upgrade for "North American" Business Class upgrades (all two-class flights to Caribbean, Central America, Canada and Mexico, First is labelled Business and so X becomes R)
U = Award Business Class (no miles / points earned)

ECONOMY CLASS ("Coach")
Y = Full fare Economy, no conditions
B = "Full fare" Economy, a few conditions
YUP / YUPP = Domestic economy fare that books into next class of service when seats are available
-------------------------------------------- ALL paid above earn 1.5 EQP per EQM, except upgraded seats generally earn at the original paid fare level.

H, K, M, L, W and V = Discount Economy Class fares with various conditions, restrictions - earn 1 EQP per EQM. "L" is generally used for RTW tickets in Economy.

G, Q**, N, O** and S = Deep Discount Economy fares with lots of conditions, earn 0.5 EQP per EQM, except as noted

** Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q earn no miles or points, are generally iirc not upgradable under conditions where they do not earn miles. (They DO earn miles and 0.5 EQM "domestically," meaning North America, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean... and generally can be upgraded when they are upgradable with 500 mile "sticker" upgrades.)

T = Award Economy (no miles, no points)

The best way to learn about the specific conditions is to click on "Detailed Fare Rules" before buying the ticket, or, if one has done that already and has purchased via aa.com, one can go to https://www.refunds.aa.com/ and enter the ticket information; the site allows you to see the detailed fare rules before requesting the actual refund.

Note: This is NOT exhaustive, and these codes will vary by airline - e.g. "T" on BA is World Traveller Plus, a whole different animal. This specifically relates to AA.

If this comes together and the veterans vet it , I can add this to the AA Wiki for us.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 4, 2006 at 6:40 pm Reason: add / correct from other posts in this thread
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
And though not immediately applicable to the OP, it is helpful for others:

X = 500-miles or comp EXP upgrade for domestic U.S. First Class (you earn the miles and points on your original fare class)
R = 500-miles or comp EXP upgrade for North American zone Business Class upgrades (again earn miles/points from original class; also, note that for all two-class flights to Caribbean and C.A./Canada/Mexico, First is labelled business and so X becomes R)
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Duplicate.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phantomtiger
Sorry, I'm new to this forum and having trouble understanding all the flight classes (ex: Y,M,J,S and more, etc)
Anyone have a link or could describe what all the letters mean so I could further understand what everyone is writing about.
Thanks
Most of the basics can be found on AA.com. If you're primarily purchasing coach tickets, then all you really will need to care about is the mileage-earning rules of each fare class (letter), in terms of actual miles earned and
elite qualifying miles/points earned.
When you're dealing with upgrades and award tickets, it gets more complicated.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: AA, LH, others
Originally Posted by JDiver
Z = Award First Class
U = Award Business Class
-------------------------------------------- ALL above earn 1.5 EQP per EQM
Obiously that is not the case as award travel does not earn miles. Well, technically you are correct, since 0*x still equals 0.

Also A (if used to upgrade to) will not earn 1.5 EQP but the applicable EQP for the class you were ticketed in originally.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Yeti88
Also A (if used to upgrade to) will not earn 1.5 EQP but the applicable EQP for the class you were ticketed in originally.
Many people, myself included, have found A-class to post 1.5 EQP. I flew two A-classes on S-fares in 2 days - one posted as 1.5 EQP, one as 0.5 EQP. There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I can count myself among those people - and I hope the "A" gods continue to occasionally smile upon us. And once I had a misinformed AAgent tell me a YUP fare only earned 0.5 points "because after all, it is Coach." I didn't appeal to another AAgent, as I had already requalified on points and miles.

Originally Posted by AA2070
Many people, myself included, have found A-class to post 1.5 EQP. I flew two A-classes on S-fares in 2 days - one posted as 1.5 EQP, one as 0.5 EQP. There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.