Elite Status With Credit Card Possible?

Old Apr 3, 06, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Elite Status With Credit Card Possible?

We traveled with friends this weekend who said they were platinum & they were sure it was because of the Citi credit card not actual mileage. Is this possible? I thought elite status could only be earned by actuals miles or segments flown. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:35 am

AA gives credit for miles from all sources toward their million miler programs. Run up 1 million miles over time and your get lifetime gold. Run up 2 million miles and you'll be lifetime platinum. So yes, if you spend $2 million on your Citibank AAdvantage MC you would be platinum - for life.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:43 am
Original Poster

So on annual basis if you run up $50K you'll get Plantinum that year? Wow - never knew this. We have alomost a miliion AmEx points just sitting there! Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:46 am

I didn't say that. If you run up 2 million points you will get lifetime platinum. Run up 1 million points and you will get lifetime gold. Run up 999,999 points and you get nothing.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by balthus
So on annual basis if you run up $50K you'll get Plantinum that year? Wow - never knew this. We have alomost a miliion AmEx points just sitting there! Thanks.
No. 100% wrong on that one. Check out BeantownFlyer's post -- it clearly states you must accumulate 1 million or 2 million miles to acheive lifetime gold or platinum status, respectively.

Since you can accrue miles towards lifetime status by using your citi card, you could technically acheive status through spending alone.

The miles you accrue for purchases, however, do not count towards regular status, which can only be acheived by actually flying.
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So on annual basis if you run up $50K you'll get Plantinum that year?
No, that's not how it works. Lifetime gold status is presently granted after a total accumulation of 1 million miles; platinum at 2 million miles. One can earn miles through many activities, including spending on a Citibank AA credit card. So, as the prior poster suggested, just get a Citi AA card and spend $1 million: that will get you gold.
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
How in the worl did you reach this $50K per year conclusion for immediate status. However, you might want to check the price of AAirpass, as you get some elite type bennies, like pre-boarding.
You need a million miles to get Lifetime Gold.
2 Million for Lifetime PLT.

Too bad you can't do AMEX points to AA miles anymore.
Then you could xfer the AMEX points and "alomost" get Gold Status.
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I was just curious about his statement. Perhaps our friends have spent $2M over time on their card. I didn't realize it was a lifetime award based on accumulated spending. By the time I spend & accumulate that much it probably won't be an issue!
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD 1.74MM
One of my wife's coworkers told her that he was Platinum on AA prior to a business trip last year. He tried to enter an upgrade request, but couldn't because the website didn't give him the option. Turns out, he has a Platinum Citi Mastercard with AA, which he thought meant that he had Platinum AAdvantage status with AA, not the same thing! My wife (who actually had PLT status at the time), requested the companion upgrade and they both were upgraded (on a Y fare, so no stickers needed).

Maybe your friends are confusing a Platinum Mastercard with Platinum AAdvantage elite status?
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ROTFL! Yeah, big difference...

Originally Posted by AAMCI
One of my wife's coworkers told her that he was Platinum on AA prior to a business trip last year. He tried to enter an upgrade request, but couldn't because the website didn't give him the option. Turns out, he has a Platinum Citi Mastercard with AA, which he thought meant that he had Platinum AAdvantage status with AA, not the same thing! My wife (who actually had PLT status at the time), requested the companion upgrade and they both were upgraded (on a Y fare, so no stickers needed).

Maybe your friends are confusing a Platinum Mastercard with Platinum AAdvantage elite status?
Old Apr 3, 06, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Executive summary:

For 1 million miles ever earned in your AAdvantage account, regardless of source (bonus miles, credit card miles, purchased miles, Kellogg's miles, etc.) you currently receive AAdvantage Gold for life (and 8 upgrade "stickers" if you live in North America, four VIPs if yo live "overseas.") It doesn't matter how much you spend on your credit card or miles you fly, it is about how many miles you have ever accumulated (and likely spent) in your AAdvantage account (I got an easy start on my first million when AA bought TW and assimilated my 500k TW miles, merging them into my AA account; those miles counted!)

For 2 million miles, you are granted AAdvantage Platinum for life, as wel as 4 VIPs (and 4 more VIPs every million thereafter, but there is no additional status promotion after 2M = Platinum.)

These are unpublished benefits of the AAdvantage program, and fairly unique to any airline, AFAIK.

36,462 miles from 3M, but who's counting?
Old Apr 3, 06, 10:41 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Silly mistake but I'm sure it happens a lot especially because the "AAdvantage" is prominently displayed on the credit card. Someone I know with a college- and post-graduate degrees thought that he was SPG Platinum because he had the SPG Amex Platinum credit card.

Alas this confusion is brought upon themselves by card issuers. It's bad enough that on the same airline alliance, BA calls its highest-tier members GOLD whereas GOLD on AA is the lowest elite level. What about PLATINUM! Where do I begin? The problem can easily be solved if the credit card, airline and hotel industries adopt a different tier-naming convention.
Old Apr 3, 06, 11:05 am

My mom was given Gold for life last month. She's probably only flown 50,000 miles since she joined AAdvantage in 1994. Aside from a few bonuses, the rest were definitely from her Citicard.

Just so that the original poster doesn't go out and spend $1 million dollars in a day to get Gold, the number of miles you can earn as regular AAdvantage member using a Citicard is limited (citicards.com):

The maximum number of AAdvantage® miles you can earn with the Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® is 60,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year, 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year with the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard and 150,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year with the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Card (purchases recorded on your Jan.-Dec. billing statements). AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members are excluded from these limits.
Old Apr 3, 06, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP

I also have a friend with exactly the same story. I couldn't stop laughing when he started to argue with me. He was so determined to prove me wrong that I just let him go. We were flying to Europe through ORD and I told him that as a Plat he has access to AC lounge and I could be his guest. He whipped out the CC and showed it to the AC agent. I heard her tell the story to her colleague and both laughing very hard as we were waiting for the elevator to the club. I got us in with my then Plat card. :-D

Happy to report that he just made Gold through challenge. He will make Plat by the end of the year. I still chuckle occasionally when I remember the look on his face at the AC.
Old Apr 3, 06, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
A truly amazing interpretation of what he did not say.

Use the credit card to buy 34,000 miles of full fare B/J/Y /F travel. Fly the 34,000 miles. Earn the status, for frequent flying, hence its name.

Or spend 2 million clams but if you don't fly enough to qualify why bother?

Search this Thread