Int'l MIA connection

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Int'l MIA connection

I am flying LIM-YYZ in two weeks, orginally booked via DFW but now rerouted through MIA. I arrive in MIA at 6:07am and am supposed to depart at 8:03am. Given what I've heard about MIA, I don't have any real expectations of making the connection, but it would be nice considering that the next flight to YYZ doesn't go until 1:30pm. So, is there anything I can do to improve the chances of making the connection? If I miss my flight, where is the best place to get booked on a new flight? Are there customer service counters past security, or will I have to join everyone else in the check-in lines? (I do not have AC access.)

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Almost 2 hours? Shouldn't be any problem at all.

[Edited to add:] Also, if you do miss the connection, the GA should be able to rebook you.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I am flying LIM-YYZ in two weeks, orginally booked via DFW but now rerouted through MIA. I arrive in MIA at 6:07am and am supposed to depart at 8:03am. Given what I've heard about MIA, I don't have any real expectations of making the connection, but it would be nice considering that the next flight to YYZ doesn't go until 1:30pm. So, is there anything I can do to improve the chances of making the connection? If I miss my flight, where is the best place to get booked on a new flight? Are there customer service counters past security, or will I have to join everyone else in the check-in lines? (I do not have AC access.)

Thanks
I just came in from SCL and connected to TPA yesterday. It was somewhat of a zoo, but I was sitting in the new AC about 45 minutes later. I was directed to the extra x-ray customs facility and I also had 2 laptops going through security again, which required explanation, and I really don't understand why? This TSA thing is becoming a joke. As I was waiting in line, the girl agent was screaming that EVERYBODY has to take their shoes off. When they saw my 2 laptops and started to question why? they forgot about my shoes.... I was the only one around at that time that walked through with my shoes on just because they were interested in a non-issue. Go figure

You have nothing to worry about, except possibly doing a lot of walking.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:51 pm

Since you are going from international to international, you won't have to claim your luggage at MIA, which is one of the centers of rants people on this site make about MIA (it usually takes a while, there is a lot of luggage coming off of the Latin American flights, and the bag claims are constantly being switched). No bags also reduces your chances of getting secondary treatment at Customs. 2 hours is definitely fine.

If the security checkpoint for your terminal is crowded, just go to the next one.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As for lines, I'd recommend the OP have the appropriate AA telephone numbers programmed on his / her cell phone. More than once I have made alternate arrangements while on the aircraft taxiing or waiting on the tarmac; I had my new flight and seat, while everyone else piled on at the counters.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Arriving that early even if there is a bit of a lineup at INS the terminal is not all that busy at the TSA gates. Aim for the old B entrance if the nearest one to where you exit ( which will be E or A) look bad. Unfortunately the ITI INS/TSA facility doesn't open until noon, why they don't have it open meeting ITI passengers when they come is a typical MIA stupid thing.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize the bags would be checked through. Maybe I will get home in time for lunch.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:20 am

Of course it actually has to arrive at 6:07 a.m. which is not a forte of AA in MIA either. My SCL 5:30 a.m. arrival went to Palm Beach for 2 hours to clear MIA fog, however that was the days before the 8 a.m. MIA-YYZ flight so there was no urgency.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
Since you are going from international to international, you won't have to claim your luggage at MIA, which is one of the centers of rants people on this site make about MIA (it usually takes a while, there is a lot of luggage coming off of the Latin American flights, and the bag claims are constantly being switched). No bags also reduces your chances of getting secondary treatment at Customs. 2 hours is definitely fine.
Hmm, is this really true??? I have never been through MIA, but in every US customs area I have used, there have been frequent announcements to the effect of "All passengers must claim their bags regardless of final destination."
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:07 pm

Well if your final destination is Canada, Europe or Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, S. America, Mexico,which are in fact, international, the bags are ITI'd through and have been for nearly 2 years now.

Which they say there. On the PA. Quite often in fact.

And they offer a noon opening ITI facility at D/E to acknowledge that fact - you don't even go into Customs - I think they'd have seen a mountain of unclaimed baggage as a result if they set this up and the bags did have to be retreived.

I guess people who fly through MIA have a leg up on the info here.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by HomelessScientist
Hmm, is this really true??? I have never been through MIA, but in every US customs area I have used, there have been frequent announcements to the effect of "All passengers must claim their bags regardless of final destination."
They do make that announcement because a lot of infrequent passengers assume that their bags are checked all the way through (as on a domestic to domestic connection). I used to work at A-35/37 at DFW (where passengers used to exit customs before Terminal D opened) and can't tell you how many people (connecting to domestic flights) came up oblivious to the fact that their bags were on the baggage claim in customs...

I have flown MAD-MIA-GRU several times. You will have a red sticker on your bags that says "International Connection. Do not return bag to customer in US."

It's definitely true.

Last edited by DCAstudent; Apr 2, 2006 at 2:07 pm
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:23 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
... So, is there anything I can do to improve the chances of making the connection? ...
Thanks
1. Get an assigned seat near the door that you will be deplaning through.

2. Deplane agressively, but politely. I've had my carryon stuff in my hand when the plane halts at the gate, jumped up and made it to the door before others have stood up!

3. Run! Don't walk, to the immigrations line, passing as many other pax as possible. This one step has allowed me to clear immigrations 30-60 minutes before the snails off of many of my international flights. I know because I've seen them way back in the immigrations line. Then they show up at the last minute for my connecting flight, 60 minutes after me. Some miss the onward flights, too!

BTW, the run through the airport wakes you up and fights off DVT.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:56 pm

If possible, avoid checking your bags because from my personal experience, MIA's int'l bags transfer does not work as smoothly as it should. I prefer the old way of claiming my bags, and rechecking them after clearing customs.

Last year in MIA, my co-worker and I arrived with plenty of time for our other int'l connection, and they did not connect our bags to our next flight. This has been the only time in which my bags have not arrived on time.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
I completely disagree with Lin49 regarding checked baggage. My personal experience is based an average of 25-30 transits/year thru MIA and I never hesitate to check bags on ITI connections. The only caveat here is that when doing so it is for on-line transfers, meaning AA to AA. Occasionally, I have had inter-line transfers when ITI, but this has not been a problem for me either.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lin49
If possible, avoid checking your bags because from my personal experience, MIA's int'l bags transfer does not work as smoothly as it should. I prefer the old way of claiming my bags, and rechecking them after clearing customs..
TERRIBLE and totally unnecessary advice. There is an ITI process . Use it.

Note if you are sent to the ITI facility in MIA, and pray you get to use it if open, you cannot even get to customs arrival hall to get your luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.