Booking D Fares (Search not working for me)

 
Old Mar 31, 06, 5:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,892
Booking D Fares (Search not working for me)

Does anyone know how to book "D" business class fares, transatlantic, on-line?
bbkenney is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 5:53 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,930
I've never found a way to force a D fare. I start with Business "With Restrictions" and sometimes I get lucky and it returns D fare. If that doesn't work, book something and then call Res and have them use that record to refine the search.
dayone is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 6:34 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,892
Originally Posted by dayone
I've never found a way to force a D fare. I start with Business "With Restrictions" and sometimes I get lucky and it returns D fare. If that doesn't work, book something and then call Res and have them use that record to refine the search.
Took a few tries but when all was said and done, it works. Thanks.
bbkenney is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 7:08 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,368
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Took a few tries but when all was said and done, it works. Thanks.
Which meant that either you ended up selecting flights where "I" inventory was zeroed out or selecting dates/routes where there were no valid "I" fares (e.g., not meeting adv. purch. or min stay requirements). That's the only way to "force" AA.com to price a D fare. As mentioned above, the alternative is to put the "Discounted Business Class" ticket that prices in "I" on hold and call AA.com web services to have them fix it.
ijgordon is online now  
Old Mar 31, 06, 9:06 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,892
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Which meant that either you ended up selecting flights where "I" inventory was zeroed out or selecting dates/routes where there were no valid "I" fares (e.g., not meeting adv. purch. or min stay requirements). That's the only way to "force" AA.com to price a D fare. As mentioned above, the alternative is to put the "Discounted Business Class" ticket that prices in "I" on hold and call AA.com web services to have them fix it.
What I found was that the D fares usually showed up further down the list and that in most markets for May and June they are pretty outrageous.
bbkenney is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 9:15 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
Many discounted D/Z/I (business class) fares are a 50 day advance notice so may not appear if your dates are within 50 days.
iowatraveler is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 9:22 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Originally Posted by iowatraveler
Many discounted D/Z/I (business class) fares are a 50 day advance notice so may not appear if your dates are within 50 days.

Isn't Z an F award?
Fly AA J all the way is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 9:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
D/Z/I are all discounted business class inventory with various carriers, not just AA. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
iowatraveler is offline  
Old Mar 31, 06, 11:45 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,083
Trivia

Z is Star Alliance's equivalent to oneworld's I. D maps to D, while oneworld's J maps to Star's C.
hillrider is offline  
Old Apr 1, 06, 3:28 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by iowatraveler
D/Z/I are all discounted business class inventory with various carriers, not just AA. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Your post is as misleading as it is confusing. Yes, D/Z/I are discounted Business Class, but you make it seem like they're equivalent. Let me take you to school:

Deeply Discounted
Z = UA/Star Alliance
I = AA/One World
Z = CO/Sky Team
**Usually 50 day AP requirement
**Usually non refundable
**Not upgradeable

Discounted
D = UA/Star Alliance
D = AA/One World
D = CO/Sky Team
**Usually no or short AP requirement
**Usually refundable, sometimes small penalty
**Upgradeable

Full Fare
C = UA/Star Alliance
J = AA/One World
J = CO/Sky Team
**Typically no AP requirement
**Typically refundable flexible
**Upgradeable
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Apr 1, 06, 7:21 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Magnolia, AR
Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Platinum; Hyatt - Platinum
Posts: 1,647
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Your post is as misleading as it is confusing. Yes, D/Z/I are discounted Business Class, but you make it seem like they're equivalent. Let me take you to school:

Deeply Discounted
Z = UA/Star Alliance
I = AA/One World
Z = CO/Sky Team
**Usually 50 day AP requirement
**Usually non refundable
**Not upgradeable

Discounted
D = UA/Star Alliance
D = AA/One World
D = CO/Sky Team
**Usually no or short AP requirement
**Usually refundable, sometimes small penalty
**Upgradeable

Full Fare
C = UA/Star Alliance
J = AA/One World
J = CO/Sky Team
**Typically no AP requirement
**Typically refundable flexible
**Upgradeable

I is also deeply discounted BC on DL w/ the same 50 day AP requirement.
arkangel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread