FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Booking D Fares (Search not working for me) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/543087-booking-d-fares-search-not-working-me.html)

bbkenney Mar 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Booking D Fares (Search not working for me)

Does anyone know how to book "D" business class fares, transatlantic, on-line?

dayone Mar 31, 2006 4:53 pm

I've never found a way to force a D fare. I start with Business "With Restrictions" and sometimes I get lucky and it returns D fare. If that doesn't work, book something and then call Res and have them use that record to refine the search.

bbkenney Mar 31, 2006 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I've never found a way to force a D fare. I start with Business "With Restrictions" and sometimes I get lucky and it returns D fare. If that doesn't work, book something and then call Res and have them use that record to refine the search.

Took a few tries but when all was said and done, it works. Thanks.

ijgordon Mar 31, 2006 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by bbkenney
Took a few tries but when all was said and done, it works. Thanks.

Which meant that either you ended up selecting flights where "I" inventory was zeroed out or selecting dates/routes where there were no valid "I" fares (e.g., not meeting adv. purch. or min stay requirements). That's the only way to "force" AA.com to price a D fare. As mentioned above, the alternative is to put the "Discounted Business Class" ticket that prices in "I" on hold and call AA.com web services to have them fix it.

bbkenney Mar 31, 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Which meant that either you ended up selecting flights where "I" inventory was zeroed out or selecting dates/routes where there were no valid "I" fares (e.g., not meeting adv. purch. or min stay requirements). That's the only way to "force" AA.com to price a D fare. As mentioned above, the alternative is to put the "Discounted Business Class" ticket that prices in "I" on hold and call AA.com web services to have them fix it.

What I found was that the D fares usually showed up further down the list and that in most markets for May and June they are pretty outrageous.

iowatraveler Mar 31, 2006 8:15 pm

Many discounted D/Z/I (business class) fares are a 50 day advance notice so may not appear if your dates are within 50 days.

Fly AA J all the way Mar 31, 2006 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by iowatraveler
Many discounted D/Z/I (business class) fares are a 50 day advance notice so may not appear if your dates are within 50 days.

Isn't Z an F award?

iowatraveler Mar 31, 2006 8:27 pm

D/Z/I are all discounted business class inventory with various carriers, not just AA. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

hillrider Mar 31, 2006 10:45 pm

Trivia

Z is Star Alliance's equivalent to oneworld's I. D maps to D, while oneworld's J maps to Star's C.

BenjaminNYC Apr 1, 2006 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by iowatraveler
D/Z/I are all discounted business class inventory with various carriers, not just AA. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Your post is as misleading as it is confusing. Yes, D/Z/I are discounted Business Class, but you make it seem like they're equivalent. Let me take you to school:

Deeply Discounted
Z = UA/Star Alliance
I = AA/One World
Z = CO/Sky Team
**Usually 50 day AP requirement
**Usually non refundable
**Not upgradeable

Discounted
D = UA/Star Alliance
D = AA/One World
D = CO/Sky Team
**Usually no or short AP requirement
**Usually refundable, sometimes small penalty
**Upgradeable

Full Fare
C = UA/Star Alliance
J = AA/One World
J = CO/Sky Team
**Typically no AP requirement
**Typically refundable flexible
**Upgradeable

arkangel Apr 1, 2006 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Your post is as misleading as it is confusing. Yes, D/Z/I are discounted Business Class, but you make it seem like they're equivalent. Let me take you to school:

Deeply Discounted
Z = UA/Star Alliance
I = AA/One World
Z = CO/Sky Team
**Usually 50 day AP requirement
**Usually non refundable
**Not upgradeable

Discounted
D = UA/Star Alliance
D = AA/One World
D = CO/Sky Team
**Usually no or short AP requirement
**Usually refundable, sometimes small penalty
**Upgradeable

Full Fare
C = UA/Star Alliance
J = AA/One World
J = CO/Sky Team
**Typically no AP requirement
**Typically refundable flexible
**Upgradeable

I is also deeply discounted BC on DL w/ the same 50 day AP requirement.