Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?

What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?

Old Mar 31, 06, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I have (had) a trip to Strasbourg on an award ticket. Was connecting through Brussels. Just got a call from American stating that the flight I was booked on to Strasbourg has been canceled and they are protecting me by putting me on the next flight, which doesn't leave until the next day (only one flight a day, at 8:50 pm.) so I have to get a hotel in Brussels now. Because it is on a partner carrier, AA says they can't provide compensation for the hotel, but offered my wife and I each a voucher for $100.

Is that a reasonable offer? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I wanted to get your take on it. I asked if I could get miles in lieu of a voucher, but the rep said no. There is no other way for them to get me to Strasbourg via Brussels. I need to be in Brussels for an appointment, so I don't think that rerouting through another partner city is an option for me. Should I take the vouchers, or is that a lame offer? What do you think? This schedule change puts a major dent in my travel plans, I've got to cancel the hotel in Strasbourg for a night, find a new hotel in Brussels, and cancel appointments in Strasbourg because I'm arriving a day later than scheduled. What's reasonable to expect in this situation? Should I be grateful they even offered the vouchers? I have little knowledge about what my rights are in this situation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

edited to add:

Since starting this thread, I have gather more info. See post #10 below, where the problem and the info is better stated. I'm not looking to be greedy, I just want to know where I legally stand with the airline (and which airline, AA and/or SN) and whether I'm entitled to be compensated for my reasonable out of pocket expenses such as hotel and transport to/from hotel, and/or anything else? Is a schedule change after tickets have been issued, a situation of denied boarding? If no, are they completely off the hook for screwing up my trip and causing me to incur expenses that I wouldn't have otherwise had to but for their change?

Last edited by hhonorman; Mar 31, 06 at 4:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 06, 1:55 pm

can you take a double connection via lhr or fra or .....?
Old Mar 31, 06, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Perhaps a EuroAAer can help, but since it's a partner carrier that could be assumed to be a EU carrier, aren't they required to give something like 600 Euro in cash for delays over 4 hours for delays of their own doing?

I think you need to contact the operating carrier for both the compensation and hotel. I'm sure someone who knows more about this will correct me.
Old Mar 31, 06, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies. I'm prepared to stay in Brussels for the night. It seems like that is the least inconvenient way to resolve my appointment schedules. The airline I'm traveling on is on SN Brussels (a partner of AA) on an award ticket. $600 in compensation would be fantastic (seems very high to me) but is that really possible? Because they are a partner airline AND I'm flying on AA miles, do they really owe me anything? I just don't know what my rights are in this situation (or if I even have any rights). I'd like to know where I stand before calling them back. As always, your thoughts and suggestions are truly appreciated.
Old Mar 31, 06, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not that I'm a fan of crossposting, but perhaps you should ask our friends over in the SN forum? They'll know more (include any nuances with SN). Or at least refer them to this thread.
Old Mar 31, 06, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't know all your rights, but one key here is that further compensation should probably come from the partner carrier, not AA, since it's their flight that's cancelled. I have to give AA a ^ for offering you anything since this is not their doing at all!
Old Mar 31, 06, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
You do have rights per the EU law that was enacted. May I suggest going to the EU website europa.eu.int -- what you are looking for is Regulation (EC) No 261/2004.

"Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 "

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 31, 06, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJUflyer
You do have rights per the EU law that was enacted. May I suggest going to the EU website europa.eu.int -- what you are looking for is Regulation (EC) No 261/2004.

"Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 "

Hope this helps.
Is the thinking here that that rule is intended to apply in cases like this?? I certainly wouldn't think so.
Old Mar 31, 06, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Your travel dates would be helpful. If you were given at least 24 hrs. notice of a cancellation, I don't think any compensation is due. The much-referenced EU rules may say different but it seems like an airline should be able to change its schedule in advance (and, in your case, with notice).
Old Mar 31, 06, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate your replies. I did post the question in the SN forum, per the suggestion of IceTrojan. Here's that post, which is more detailed than the one here:
------------------------------------------------------------------
What are my rights if award flight on SN Brussels is canceled?
I don't like to cross-post, (this question was originally posted in the American Airlines forum because I'm using an AA award ticket) but other Flyertalkers who responded to that post suggested I post the question here as well.

I had booked and ticketed an award travel trip using AA miles. I'm flying to Strasbourg via Brussels. That portion of the trip is on SN Brussels airline, a partner of American. Just got a call from AA stating that my flight to at 8:50 pm to Strasbourg was canceled. The rep said that they protected me by putting me on the next available flight, at 8:50pm the next day (only one flight a day between Brussels and Strasbourg on SN.) Although it messes up my schedule tremendously, I am prepared to take the flight to Strasbourg the next day rather that rerouting (which would cause even more headaches to my scheduling situation).

That said, do I have any rights because they canceled my flight and caused a huge inconvenience, not to mention the fact that I have to pay for a hotel now in Brussels, cancel appointments, reschedule appointments, etc.? American said that because my flight is on a partner airline, they can't compensate me for the hotel, but what they could offer me was $100 voucher (one for me and my wife). I asked if miles were possible in lieu of the vouchers, but they said no.

Someone in the other forum mentioned that I should review "Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 "

A copy of that can be found at this web page (and clicking on the link which gives the regulation in PDF format). I read that and Article 7 states that a passenger denied boarding should be able to receive 250 euro compensation (I am assuming that Brussels to Strasbourg is less than 1500 km, but I am not sure).
http://www.transport.gov.uk/stellen..._030483-01.hcsp

However, I also came across SN Brussles General Contract of Carriage, which can be seen here:
http://www.flysn.be/en_be/informati...f-carriage.aspx

That states (see section 16.3) that a passenger denied boarding should be able to receive 150 euros.

Do you know whether cancelation of a flight, qualifies as a "passenger denied boarding", if they put me on the next available flight which happens to be 24 hours later than my original flight?

If it does count, which rule should apply, SN Brussels contract, or the EU regulation?

Does the fact that this is an award ticket have any impact on the outcome?

If I am able to receive compensation, how do you suggest I go about asking for it? Do I ask the rep from American Airlines, or do I need to call SN? Are there any tricks they can try to pull (such as offering a voucher instead of cash) that I should be aware of and watch out for?

What about paying for the hotel and trasportation to/from the hotel? Do they have to do that, or is the cash compensation supposed to cover that?

If I accept the vouchers from AA, do I give up my right to compensation from SN (assuming I'm entitled to anything from SN)? Is it possible I could get both the vouchers from AA and the cash from SN?

Any insight or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, does a schedule change count as denied boarding? They did agree to book me on the next available flight, it just happens to be 24 hours later. Should the airline be able to change their schedule and royally screw up my plans without having to at least cover the cost of my hotel and transportation to/from the hotel? I'm not looking to be greedy, I just want to not have to incur costs that I wouldn't have had to incur BUT FOR the airline deciding to cancel my flight. Yes they did give me plenty of notice, far more than 24 hours notice, (my trip isn't until the end of April) BUT, didn't we have a contract? Shouldn't they have to honor that contract or reimburse me for reasonable expenses I must now incur because of their failure to honor the contract as a result of a condition that is entirely within their control?

Last edited by hhonorman; Mar 31, 06 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 31, 06, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, TSA Disparager Gold
You might also want to consider going by rail from FRA or simply going to STR, it's not very far from Strasbourg. From STR you could either take a train or rent a car, the drive is under 100 miles, and you would get the joy of driving on the Autobahn!!
Old Mar 31, 06, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the alternative routing suggestions. I have decided to take the flight to Strasbourg the next day as that causes the least amount of headaches to my trip. That said, I'm still going to be out the cost of a hotel and transportation to/from the hotel. Do I have any right to be compensated for that?
Old Mar 31, 06, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think we are discussing two things: what is equitable, which probably varies by individual, and what are your rights, which is not so variable...

If it were me, I'd say $200 voucher is sufficient to offset taking the train 15 minutes into Brussels and a moderate hotel expense, given AA is doing this and not the "offending" airline. Kudos to AA. But...

that doesn't take into consideration some hotel and meal expenses, trouble you've been put to, satisfying your own personal values system, and what may legally be conpensable - if the law says €600 is your minimum legal entitlement for having a flight cancelled (make sure it is true and it includes award flights, but the airlines hate this law, so it must have teeth,) and decide what (or if) you want to ask SN Brussels for.

Let us know what you decide, and what you get. And have a good trip for the remainder...
Old Mar 31, 06, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

JDiver, thanks for the reply. I agree that AA's offer of $100 vouchers does seem reasonable and I am not ungrateful to them especially since they didn't cause the problem and have done a very good job of trying to help me. That said, ...IF... I am entitled to cash for being denied boarding, per the rules listed in post #10 above, I would prefer that. I am just trying to figure out whether or not those rules are applicable to my situation. If so, what's the recommended way of enforcing the rule(s)? Should I go through AA, who did the reservation and awarded the tickets, or through SN?
Old Mar 31, 06, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hhonorman
JDiver, thanks for the reply. I agree that AA's offer of $100 vouchers does seem reasonable and I am not ungrateful to them especially since they didn't cause the problem and have done a very good job of trying to help me. That said, ...IF... I am entitled to cash for being denied boarding, per the rules listed in post #10 above, I would prefer that. I am just trying to figure out whether or not those rules are applicable to my situation. If so, what's the recommended way of enforcing the rule(s)? Should I go through AA, who did the reservation and awarded the tickets, or through SN?
Personally, I would take the $100 voucher and 1000 miles from AA... then go to SN and stick it to them as per the above-cited EU rules. AA isn't really involved in SN's canceling of the flight. You should go through THEM to get what is rightly yours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: