Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is reasonable compensation for canceled flight that requires overnight stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:23 am

Most hotels offer a 24-48 hour cancellation, with no penalty. Especially if you can prove that it was out of your control. I sure hope it all works out for you!
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I hit the sack shortly after posting so apologies for not exploring the alternatives more closely last night. Looks like you've been offered some wonderful advice on alternative ways to get to SXB without wasting a complete day of your trip.

Can I throw one further question into the mix? Was your cancelled SN operated sector on an AA code? If so, and you still feel inclined that you're due some further compensation for out of pocket expenses and time, then this looks to me like a good old fashioned customer relations matter. If this is the case, then i'd get in touch with AA again. Don't be put off by the fact that you have a redemption ticket. You earned your miles fair and square, its a legitimate form of payment and you should treat it with no less regard than had you paid cash.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:16 am
tt7

Originally Posted by Prospero
Looks like you've been offered some wonderful advice on alternative ways to get to SXB without wasting a complete day of your trip..
Yes, (and as JDiver would no doubt agree) being forced to spend a day in Brussels is a real waste ...

I may have missed it in all the detail in this thread but WHEN are you going and WHEN did AA notify you of the non-flight? Asuming this was ahead of time (before you've even left?), as JonNYC has patiently tried to point out, this has nothing to do with 'denied boarding' or 'cancellation' compensation. Schedules change all the time. AA has offered $200 for the one-day delay, which is pretty reasonable, all things considered. As others have suggested, why not just catch the train, if you don't want a day in Brussels? If $200 doesn't cover the train, tell AA and ask for more. Although at the end of the day, this is an 'SN' issue and not an 'AA' issue, AA 'sold' you the ticket and should take responsibility for what they sold - which it appears they have.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies, insight, and advice. It is all much appreciated. The concensus seems that this is NOT a denied boarding situation (agreed), but rather a schedule change and that AA's offer of 2 $100 vouchers is a great offer because they didn't cause the problem. Most agrees, as do I, that this is a problem caused by SN and thus I should contact them. It seems as though most people here are of the opinion that if an airline changes my schedule by canceling my flight and booking me on the next available flight, that my only recourse (provided they gave me reasonable notice) is to take the new flight, or cancel the tickets and receive a refund. Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What about $200 plus a hotel room. Airlines put travlers up in hotels all the time. All you need is a sympathetic agent to write you a voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.