Wiki Posts
Search

What type of plane is a DH4?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage
What type of plane is a DH4?

I have searched FlyerTalk and found only a couple threads about SAS and people having to select flying on a DH4 or having a layover somewhere - sounded like flying on a DH4 was bad? I also looked at SeatGuru and nothing there about a DH4. The AA website does not list a DH4 in their roster of planse they fly. Finally I did search the WWW and found a couple websites that made it sound like flying a DH4 was for hobby.

Soooo..... is this some type of tiny plane that will be horrible? AA does not even offer a seat map during my flight selection process, which it does with all the other flights I have booked.

I am trying to book SBP to MFR via LAX. My flight SBP to LAX is on the usual SF3 prop plane which I'm used to. It's an hour flight, loud but no unbearable. But the leg LAX to MFR is on the DH4. I know that flight won't be awfully long, maybe 2.5 hours, but I'm wondering what type of plane the DH4 is. Anyone have any experience on one of these?

Also, does anyone know if the LAX to MFR leg will require taking the shuttle from the American Eagle terminal to the American terminal, or if we stay in the AE terminal?

Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the Q-400, a large Bombardier turboprop. 70+ pax, seating 2-2, nicer than an ATR. Fairly new model, somewhat well-liked (among those who don't despise turboprops).

The airplane isn't operated by AA - I assume you're looking at the Alaska codeshare service - this will be operated by their Eagle-like subsidiary - Horizon.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:50 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

De Havilland Canada DHC-8 Dash 8-400 http://www.flyjazz.ca/images/media/Dash8-2a.jpg
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
DH4 is the code designator for the Bombardier Q400, a Dash 8 variant. Horizon operates the Q400, and that seat map can be accessed on Seatguru by looking under "Alaska/Horizon". The Q400 is actually an enjoyable aircraft, and even though it's a turboprop, the feel of the cabin is comparable to mainline aircraft. This isn't your rinky-dink prop job.

Your leg from Los Angeles to Medford is most likely an American codeshare with Horizon, and indeed Horizon flies between LAX and MFR with the Q400. Therefore when switching between American Eagle and Horizon, you'll have to make your way to the main AA terminal (assuming your Eagle flight gets sent to the remote terminal), then leave the sterile zone and trek it over to Terminal 3, where Alaska and Horizon is located. Some other FlyerTalkers that are seasoned with LAX can provide the quickest way to get there, but I believe it is just as good to walk rather than take the Inter-Terminal shuttles.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to both of you! Yes, it is codeshare Horizon. And it doesn't look that bad. I'm glad it's a 2-2 orientation as it will be my sister and I traveling. Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Also, does anyone know if the LAX to MFR leg will require taking the shuttle from the American Eagle terminal to the American terminal, or if we stay in the AE terminal?
All Alaska/Horizon flights leave from Terminal 3 - you'll have to take the shuttle from the Eagle terminal there.

That said, if at all possible, get an exit row (either 1A/B or 2D/E) for the legroom.

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so then it sounds like we will shuttle from AE to AA then have to walk across the way to terminal 3. Or I think they sometimes have a shuttle from AE that goes to other terminals? I have 1 hour 20 minutes between landing at the AE terminal and then having to depart the Horizon terminal. I wonder if that's enough time....maybe so if the shuttle can take us directly to terminal 3....

Originally Posted by asu-ua772

Your leg from Los Angeles to Medford is most likely an American codeshare with Horizon, and indeed Horizon flies between LAX and MFR with the Q400. Therefore when switching between American Eagle and Horizon, you'll have to make your way to the main AA terminal (assuming your Eagle flight gets sent to the remote terminal), then leave the sterile zone and trek it over to Terminal 3, where Alaska and Horizon is located. Some other FlyerTalkers that are seasoned with LAX can provide the quickest way to get there, but I believe it is just as good to walk rather than take the Inter-Terminal shuttles.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mike!

Originally Posted by nako
All Alaska/Horizon flights leave from Terminal 3 - you'll have to take the shuttle from the Eagle terminal there.

That said, if at all possible, get an exit row (either 1A/B or 2D/E) for the legroom.

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:07 pm

Your leg from Los Angeles to Medford is most likely an American codeshare with Horizon, and indeed Horizon flies between LAX and MFR with the Q400. Therefore when switching between American Eagle and Horizon, you'll have to make your way to the main AA terminal (assuming your Eagle flight gets sent to the remote terminal), then leave the sterile zone and trek it over to Terminal 3, where Alaska and Horizon is located.
No - the OP can take a shuttle directly from the Eagle terminal to Terminal 3. In fact, these shuttles can be used with relative ease to do a T3-to-T4 (or vice versa) transfer, with the intermediate stop at the Eagle terminal to switch shuttles. As long as you have boarding passes or an itinerary reflecting the need to go from one terminal to another, there is no problem with doing this type of transfer.

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by nako
No - the OP can take a shuttle directly from the Eagle terminal to Terminal 3. In fact, these shuttles can be used with relative ease to do a T3-to-T4 (or vice versa) transfer, with the intermediate stop at the Eagle terminal to switch shuttles. As long as you have boarding passes or an itinerary reflecting the need to go from one terminal to another, there is no problem with doing this type of transfer.

Mike

Exactly.......and it keeps you sterile.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
...speaking airport-wise, anyway. Otherwise, you'd share the shuttle with lots of fruit flies... it'd certainly be cheaper that irradiation.

Originally Posted by SNAGold
Exactly.......and it keeps you sterile.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:58 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
From previous conversations with Horizon pilots, I understand the DHC-8 is the fastest turboprop in the sky. ^ Cool, you've got a front-row seat at the turboprop races!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Thanks for clearing up my errors regarding LAX. It's been a while since I last transited the AA side of LAX, as my travels through Los Angeles typically takes down through the UA side.

Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thanks for clearing up my errors regarding LAX. It's been a while since I last transited the AA side of LAX, as my travels through Los Angeles typically takes down through the UA side.

"What is it, Master?"

"There is a disturbance in the Force...."

I realize that didn't add anything to the discussion But all was already said (except that T3 is a dump, and if you plan on "using the facilities" if you have time I'd try to reach T4 first... I'd even use the AE satellite facilities before T3 )

At least T3 has a Starbucks.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by RumRunner
I have searched FlyerTalk and found only a couple threads about SAS and people having to select flying on a DH4 or having a layover somewhere - sounded like flying on a DH4 was bad? I also looked at SeatGuru and nothing there about a DH4. The AA website does not list a DH4 in their roster of planse they fly.
As was mentioned before, it's an AS/QX codeshare on Horizon airlines. Here's a link to the AS aircraft, click on the Q400/DH4 for more information and a seat map.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/com...leet/Fleet.asp

I fly them a lot (along with the baby brother, the Q200/DH8), it's a comfortable plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.