Basinettes on AA in F Int'l?

Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
Basinettes on AA in F Int'l?

I have a cert for a free F ticket anywhere in the world with companion and my wife and I want to go to Europe but we just had our first baby.
I am curious if anyone knows if there are basinettes in F on any of the AA 777's or 767's on international flights?

Thanks.

-Eli
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
You will NOT be a popular person if you bring a newborn baby into a premium cabin on a transatlantic flight.

That being said, AA has cardboard baby-baskets that attach to the forward bulkheads, at least in Y and J. I don't think there are any mounting holes in F, but I just may not have seen them before.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Originally Posted by Eli Gorin
I have a cert for a free F ticket anywhere in the world with companion and my wife and I want to go to Europe but we just had our first baby.
I am curious if anyone knows if there are basinettes in F on any of the AA 777's or 767's on international flights?

Thanks.

-Eli
Never seen any space for babies in FIRST, or babies there at all. Saw a four year old and that was bad enough, crying and whining all the way to LHR.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eli Gorin
Keep in mind that international lap babies will cost you 10% of the fare (plus full taxes) of the cabin in which they sit; you could easily be looking at upwards of $1,500 to $2,000 in fare and taxes for your lap infant.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The last time I looked into this, AA expected you to either pay for a seat and use a car seat or hold the baby for the whole flight! That's why, when I had a baby I always travelled with BA or QF.

Ignore the comments about traveling F with a baby - enjoy the flight but be aware that it won't be as relaxing as traveling on your own - but much nicer than flying at the back with a baby. Make sure you time the feeds so that you feed for takeoff and landing.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Keep in mind that international lap babies will cost you 10% of the fare (plus full taxes) of the cabin in which they sit; you could easily be looking at upwards of $1,500 to $2,000 in fare and taxes for your lap infant.

If that is true, you might consider seeing if you could get two seats in J with your certs, and buying an I fare (if available). Those are almost always under $3k, and I have to believe that one J seat for each person (baby included) will be a lot nicer than two F seats and an infant on your lap the entire time. Plus putting a baby on your lap in a plane really isn't that safe. What kind of mileage do you have? You could possibly just cash those in for an extra seat. Also, if there are open seats, will the FAs let you put the baby in one?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:37 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not all children are evil, loud monsters. I love surprising people like you when Little HNL (5 years old and now a Plat) flies with me in First - especially on Loooong flights. He sits in his seat eating his snacks, watching DVDs, sleeping. It's been this way since he was an infant.

I do take steps to ensure a pleasant flight for all, and encourage other parents to do so as well. I don't rely on AA for food or entertainment. I pack meals and snacks I know he will enjoy and make sure the DVD player s in working order. We have books and quite toys along with us as well.

Last edited by askworldtraveler; Mar 16, 2006 at 10:56 pm Reason: tracking changes
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Originally Posted by HNL
Not all children are evil, loud monsters. I love surprising people like you when Little HNL (5 years old and now a Plat) flies with me in First - especially on Loooong flights. He sits in his seat eating his snacks, watching DVDs, sleeping. It's been this way since he was an infant.

I do take steps to ensure a pleasant flight for all, and encourage other parents to do so as well. I don't rely on AA for food or entertainment. I pack meals and snacks I know he will enjoy and make sure the DVD player s in working order. We have books and quite toys along with us as well.
That's fine. I find that children like Little HNL are the exception and not the rule. I often find the cabin crew does nothing to try and keep the premium cabin, just that, premium.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by HNL
Good, and kudos to you and your child. However, the OP is requesting a basinette for their child. The OP also describes their child as "recently born". This is not the description of a quiet child who will sit down, drink their juicebox, and watch Sponge Bob.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AA2070

Yes, of course you have every right to sit up front, blah blah blah. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that you should.

First of all: I hate crying, screaming, obnoxous kids seated around me, especially in F/J. However, I think the issue is more complicated than what you say above. It's not about asserting the right to sit in a premium cabin with a baby. It's an issue of why should having a baby keep someone with the means and desire to travel in F from doing so? How is that fair to someone who just happens to be a parent?
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
First of all: I hate crying, screaming, obnoxous kids seated around me, especially in F/J. However, I think the issue is more complicated than what you say above. It's not about asserting the right to sit in a premium cabin with a baby. It's an issue of why should having a baby keep someone with the means and desire to travel in F from doing so? How is that fair to someone who just happens to be a parent?
There are a lot of places where a parent should not take their newborn, even if they have the means and desire to do so. For example, I would never take a newborn to a cockfight, even if I had the means and desire to do so. When in close proximity to others, it is considerate to think about those others also, and not just oneself.

Having said that, in this case, 2 Benadryl and a shot of Jack Daniels (both for the kid) should do nicely. Failing that, perhaps the parents should make other arrangements.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
To the OP. I repeat - ignore the negative comments here although the suggestion of 3 seats in business is a good one if you can't strike a deal for your child. You did not ask if you should fly in F with a child. The post should not have been hijacked in this way. There are a number of people here who, without fail, say how terrible it is for babies/ children to travel in F/J even though many people always respond that it isn't always so bad. We all know you will do your utmost to keep your child happy and quiet - you would do the same wherever you are sitting. Babies don't in general scream anymore in a plane than they would at home. Best of luck.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by gemac
There are a lot of places where a parent should not take their newborn, even if they have the means and desire to do so. For example, I would never take a newborn to a cockfight, even if I had the means and desire to do so. When in close proximity to others, it is considerate to think about those others also, and not just oneself.

Having said that, in this case, 2 Benadryl and a shot of Jack Daniels (both for the kid) should do nicely. Failing that, perhaps the parents should make other arrangements.
What's wrong with taking a newborn to Cockfights?
Ahhh, there is so much to learn from watching two chicken claw each other to shreds. Brings back happy childhood memories
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iuprecise
What's wrong with taking a newborn to Cockfights?
Ahhh, there is so much to learn from watching two chicken claw each other to shreds. Brings back happy childhood memories
The problem with taking a newborn to a cockfight is that they lack the ability to properly count their winnings, and are often taken advantage of by unscrupulous bettors. Much better to take them to a strip club, at least there they know what to do with what they see.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:56 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
So back to the original question, does AA have bassinet positions in their F seats for long haul?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.