Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (pmAA - archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (pmAA - archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by grumpymonkey
This actually has me wondering whether op upgrades from J to F might be more common on flights to LHR. Seems to me that anyone who's paying for J and connecting at LHR would be an idiot to book AA, when they can get the same miles, have an easier connection, and get a better on-board experience.
Sorry I don't understand. Same miles as...?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:48 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Sorry I don't understand. Same miles as...?
I think grumpymonkey was referring to the fact one can earn AAdvantage miles while traveling BA metal.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by HNL
I think grumpymonkey was referring to the fact one can earn AAdvantage miles while traveling BA metal.
Ah, got it. Apparently it was too obvious.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
SAT-DFW

Not an impressive Op-Up, but hey, an upgrade is an upgrade.

Was traveling with DW, and 2 daughters. I didn't request an upgrade because, well, it's not worth a sticker.

Anyway, I heard "Passenger Gamecock, please come to the counter." I bypassed the line and approached the counter from the side and the GA, who saw me coming said "Mr Gamecock, I need your seats, can I move you and your companion forward a couple of rows?" I was in row 9, so I knew what she was talking about. She then realized that the rest of the Gamecock family, all PLTs, were also on the flight and asked if it was OK just to upgrade me and the companion on my PNR.

Anyway, daughter and I got upgrades, DW and other daughter sat in steerage.

Made it up to my wife by putting both kids in steerage while we sat up front when my upgrade from DFW-EWR cleared at the gate. (All is now forgiven) FWIW There were 2 EXPs behind me who didn't clear.

Oh, we made it up to the kids by giving them Krispy-Kreams to snack on during the flight.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Platinum Elite, HH Silver
Received OP-UP (OW Emerald) on QF AKL to LAX last year. Upgrade was from coach to premium econ. Might not sound like much but the incremental difference in comfort from Econ seats to prem econ may be larger than the extra comfort from prem to biz IMO
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This thread seems to be straying way off topic. An OpUp is an operational upgrade offered by the airline for the sole purpose of reducing the number of VDBs to the absolute minimum. Many seem to be talking about requests for upgrades via SWUs and stickers and thinking they're OpUps. Those comments should go to the appropriate thread.

I've received one true OpUp in all my years flying AA. It was ORD-BOS on an MD-80 all the way back in 1988 or 1989. Needless to say, seems honest-to-goodness OpUps are a very rare bird. I had no status at the time, just luck. No request was made. I just showed up at the gate very late.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:01 pm

Was on AA823 (ICT-DFW) on 12-28 and scored an OpUp. They changed my seat when I checked my bag. And no, I did not request the upgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
This thread seems to be straying way off topic. An OpUp is an operational upgrade offered by the airline for the sole purpose of reducing the number of VDBs to the absolute minimum. Many seem to be talking about requests for upgrades via SWUs and stickers and thinking they're OpUps. Those comments should go to the appropriate thread.

I've received one true OpUp in all my years flying AA. It was ORD-BOS on an MD-80 all the way back in 1988 or 1989. Needless to say, seems honest-to-goodness OpUps are a very rare bird. I had no status at the time, just luck. No request was made. I just showed up at the gate very late.
I made Gold earlier this year and on my next flight I got an OpUp.

Having made EXP a month or so ago, I decided to blow an SWU on my snow/BAA stupidity delayed flight back from England last week. Get to the gate to be given another OpUp to seat 1D. Not bad for a deep-discounted economy seat.

Your mileage clearly varies...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat.
Got 3 op-ups during my previous trip to Denver. DFW-DEN was upgraded to make room for an oversold flight. Last DFW-BWI of the night was oversold, so in exchange for a hefty voucher amount and upgraded flights I flew into DCA the next morning.

On a side note, I was quite surprised by the CRJ F service ORD-DCA. It's not the 767, but it is nothing to shy away from either. All in all, it was a great flight experience.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Student_Flyer
Got 3 op-ups during my previous trip to Denver. DFW-DEN was upgraded to make room for an oversold flight. .
Score! ^

so in exchange for a hefty voucher amount and upgraded flights I flew into DCA the next morning.
Not an op-up. You were compensated for giving up your seat and part of your compensation from AA was an F seat. Not that I would complain about that upgrade! Just want to keep us all on the same page regarding what an op up actually is.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have yet to receive on op-up on AA, the carrier I have maintained top level status on for the most years. On UA, I have been upgraded to F class without asking about 1/3 of the time when flying paid business class interntional as a 1K and I don't think it was because those planes were oversold, maybe just a courtesy? UA has still never put me in business instead of economy as an unsupported upgrade. But I did score on op-up on a SN flight before SN was part of Star Alliance so I had absolutly no status whatsoever. Only thing is I was stuck near the back of the line checking in and they ran our of Y seats...

While I did much appreciate the free upgrade, the top tier 200K+ flier in me wondered if they left their top tiers in back and should have rather given one of them the upgrade and given me (a nobody to them) the economy class seat. Again, I wondered who was upgraded on my LX flight on Dec 30th, I was booked on LX274 in business class and when I checked in the business cabin was more than half empty. But we flew 100% full in business class and the FA told me they were the cabin was operational upgrades. I couldn't help but wonder...did they give the lucky ones who checked in last those nice seats on this 7 hour flight or did they reward their top fliers with a surprise upgrade, as I think it should have been done....
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless

Not an op-up. You were compensated for giving up your seat and part of your compensation from AA was an F seat. Not that I would complain about that upgrade! Just want to keep us all on the same page regarding what an op up actually is.
Op-up, not an op-up....potato, potato. I'm sure you're right, but it's just semantics.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have yet to receive on op-up on AA, the carrier I have maintained top level status on for the most years.
I assume you mean on international flights, because I'm sure on domestic flights you get upgraded fairly regularly as an EXP. Maybe it's just your luck of the draw. Try flying on days with crappy weather.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I assume you mean on international flights, because I'm sure on domestic flights you get upgraded fairly regularly as an EXP. Maybe it's just your luck of the draw. Try flying on days with crappy weather.
An EXP who requests and receives a domestic upgrade is not getting an "operational upgrade" S/he is simply receiving one of the benefits associated with her/his elite status. If the same EXP happens to be on a 3 class domestic flight, has her/his upgrade clear into J, and then is rolled forward to F, then it would be an op up.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by bdemaria
An EXP who requests and receives a domestic upgrade is not getting an "operational upgrade" S/he is simply receiving one of the benefits associated with her/his elite status. If the same EXP happens to be on a 3 class domestic flight, has her/his upgrade clear into J, and then is rolled forward to F, then it would be an op up.
Exactly. As pointed out above there seems to be some confusion about op ups on the thread. They aren't any upgrade. They are specifically when the airline gives you an upgrade you wouldn't have gotten otherwise due to some operational issue, usually oversold coach cabins and empty seats up front.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Upgraded ≠ Op Up

I get upgraded 50 or 100 flights a year. Op ups, on the other hand, are a rare breed.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Understood. I meant his chances for an op-up domestic is slim as an EXP by virtue of being an EXP -- by the time the gate started doing op-ups he would have been upgraded a few days beforehand anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.