American First Class Upgrades from J

Old Mar 7, 06, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Question American First Class Upgrades from J

Hi,
I got these two upgrade certificates that upgrade you from J to first, the only problem is I never pay for full J.
Is there anyway for me to use these on a coach fare? Or to some how Exchange them with AA for eVips?
Or maybe get a really really cheap J fare ticket?
I would hate to not be able to use them.

All help is appreciated, sorry if this isnít posted in the right forum.

Thanks,
Eli

Last edited by askworldtraveler; Mar 8, 06 at 10:48 am Reason: Exchange them with AA - (helping this comply with the AA board)
Old Mar 7, 06, 3:32 pm

I've never heard of upgrade certificates limited only from J to F. What is the name of the certificates?
Old Mar 7, 06, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA 1K, DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
I've never heard of such upgrades either.

Do they require you to be in full-J or just a paid business class fare? If it's a full-J requirement, you're probably SOL. Otherwise, there are some cheap transatlantic I fares that are probably around $2500.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 7, 06, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jyatlantic
I've never heard of upgrade certificates limited only from J to F. What is the name of the certificates?
I have. They certainly exist.
Old Mar 7, 06, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

they are called: American Airlines International Flagship Service First class Upgrade Certificate.

i think it has to be just booked in J not sure bout the full fare.

but again, i dont buy j fare, only upgrade from coach .
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elimuli
Count on it. I mean -any- J-fare will do, but ex-US I think you'll find J-fare is pretty much synonymous with "full fare." There are other places where J-fares (as opposed to D,I) can be far more reasonable -- but never "cheap" per se.
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Otherwise, there are some cheap transatlantic I fares that are probably around $2500.
Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your post, but in case I didn't, it might be best to remind people that while D fares can be upgraded, I fares cannot. Not with miles. Not with VIPs. There's an argument that perhaps they can be with a certain BusinessExtrAA upgrade cert, but nobody has yet reported success with that animal. Suffice it to say - the OP's cert won't work on an I fare.
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they are called: American Airlines International Flagship Service First class Upgrade Certificate.

but again, i dont buy j fare, only upgrade from coach .
I've used these, my corporate travel agent gets them from AA and I never have a problem getting them from the TA for a business trip. (I have a feeling most of the other people in my department fly VS...)

And yes, the purchased fare needs to be "J" (I don't think even "D" qualifies), but of course our corporate J fare is significantly less than the "published" fare.

But the other hook is that these upgrades book into "X" inventory, which is more restricted than "A" and of course only viewable on ExpertFlyer or the like.

You could try trading them on coupon connection, but I don't know if you'll get all that much for them.
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:05 pm

Hi,
I got these two upgrade certificates that upgrade you from J to first, the only problem is I never pay for full J.
Is there anyway for me to use these on a coach fare? Or to some how trade them for eVips?
Or maybe get a really really cheap J fare ticket?
I would hate to not be able to use them.

All help is appreciated, sorry if this isnít posted in the right forum.

Thanks,
Eli
the cheapest biz fares are I class, but are not upgradable. the cheapest upgradable fares are D class, but I don't know whether your certificate would be good for one or not; read the fine print. the cheapest "full" J fares are usually offered from outside the US, ex-Canada or ex-Caribbean.

the trouble is, if they're only good from J to A, then that's a cheap 10K mileage upgrade anyway so the certificate isn't worth very much in trade.
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
the trouble is, if they're only good from J to A, then that's a cheap 10K mileage upgrade anyway so the certificate isn't worth very much in trade.
Actually, J to F (A) upgrades are 25,000 miles each way on long-hauls. (40K to India, but I don't know if this cert is valid on that route). So they still are worth something to somebody who will be paying for a "J" fare, though obviously not as much as a VIP, which saves the 25K miles and the $250 copay, and has a greater potential "audience"

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...#upgradeAwards
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to amplify one thing that several have touched on;

ex-most places; J will be full(ish) fare, D will be discount, I will be deep (deep) discount.

ex-some places; The J bucket will just sorta' be used for sveral kinds of fares-- including some very nicely discounted ones.

Last time I used a cert like this it was good from -J- only.
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually, J to F (A) upgrades are 25,000 miles each way on long-hauls. (40K to India, but I don't know if this cert is valid on that route). So they still are worth something to somebody who will be paying for a "J" fare, though obviously not as much as a VIP, which saves the 25K miles and the $250 copay, and has a greater potential "audience"

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...#upgradeAwards

There is no copay on J to F upgrades. Also, a few people occasionally report being able to upgrade J to F at 10k miles, though this is a YMMV, big time.
Old Mar 7, 06, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
My understanding about these certificates are that they come from corporate travel departments and that they can be used only with J fares. Not necessarily "full J" fare but the discount J fare that company has negotiated with AA.
Old Mar 7, 06, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrishBOS
My understanding about these certificates are that they come from corporate travel departments and that they can be used only with J fares. Not necessarily "full J" fare but the discount J fare that company has negotiated with AA.
I agree, in every case I can think of, -J- would be -J- for the purposes of determining eligibility in case like this.
Old Mar 7, 06, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
There is no copay on J to F upgrades. Also, a few people occasionally report being able to upgrade J to F at 10k miles, though this is a YMMV, big time.
That was before the latest round of "enhancements"......

Now F to J is 25K for all international trips, where it used to be a mere 10K-15K miles for international and 5K for domestic....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: