Confused about YUP on 3-class transcon

Old Feb 27, 06, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Question Confused about YUP on 3-class transcon

I just tried to book a J ticket on AA 18 (SFO-JFK, 3-class 762) for tomorrow night, picking the "Business Class with Restrictions" option. It priced out at $969.30, and the detailed fare rules showed it to be some kind of YUP fare (YUPKMZ, or something like that). But when I put the ticket on hold I got a seat in F (booking code A). Is this the norm or is something strange going on?
Old Feb 27, 06, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds odd - quite a long time ago AA embargoed the three class transcons on the list of flights where YUPs got F; when I search YUPs on the transcons - mine book into D in Business Class. Maybe it will work - but prepare for seating reassignment and disappointment.
Old Feb 27, 06, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by vasantn
I just tried to book a J ticket on AA 18 (SFO-JFK, 3-class 762) for tomorrow night, picking the "Business Class with Restrictions" option. It priced out at $969.30, and the detailed fare rules showed it to be some kind of YUP fare (YUPKMZ, or something like that). But when I put the ticket on hold I got a seat in F (booking code A). Is this the norm or is something strange going on?
I booked a J ticket on AA (LAX-JFK) via YUP fare and I did not get F seating. Could it be your status (i.e. EXP whereas I am PL?) I'll be curious to hear what the AA experts say on this board say.
Old Feb 27, 06, 7:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Sounds odd - quite a long time ago AA embargoed the three class transcons on the list of flights where YUPs got F; when I search YUPs on the transcons - mine book into D in Business Class. Maybe it will work - but prepare for seating reassignment and disappointment.
Try Flight 18 for tomorrow night ... I'm curious to see if you get the same result. I was also expecting it to book into D (EF showed D4), so I was quite surprised.
Old Feb 27, 06, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Many Fares Available......

It appears it is one of those "mix up" due to the mixed 2 and 3 class service planes on this route.

Apparently, this is an "A" fare for YUP, but then the restrictions did not prevent anyone from booking into "A" on the 3-class planes....

If you were to look carefully, the $959 fare applies for all flights (3-class and 2-class) with "A" inventory available.....

Count on this being fixed by tomorrow.....

A while back I've already posted how much a mess the premium fares in this market are..... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506789

Seems like the problems were not fixed...

Last edited by jkc22; Feb 27, 06 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 27, 06, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Oh...this is the sample quote from AA.com...

Average Fare Per Person - 959.00 USD

AMERICAN AIRLINES
16 SFO
San Francisco 03/16/2006 12:00 PM JFK
New York 03/16/2006 08:27 PM 762 First
View Seats 2586 Lunch
Compared to this:

Average Fare Per Person - 959.00 USD

AMERICAN AIRLINES
178 SFO
San Francisco 03/16/2006 01:45 PM JFK
New York 03/16/2006 10:03 PM 763 First
View Seats 2586 Lunch
Clearly, the former is a 3-class plane and the latter a 2-class plane....yet they are both selling for the same price in "A"....

Act quickly!

Last edited by jkc22; Feb 27, 06 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 27, 06, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Try Flight 18 for tomorrow night ... I'm curious to see if you get the same result. I was also expecting it to book into D (EF showed D4), so I was quite surprised.
Immediately after your initial post and before mine, I tried, and I got Business Class - EF showed A0 (I assumed you got the last one). And the fare was $1200+

But even right now, the $959+tax price gets a daytime connection at LAX followed by First Class LAX-JFK, but not a redeye. Good price.

Good luck. If it works, you are very fortunate.

Search this Thread