Ticketed on AA, same flight now LESS$

 
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
Posts: 59
Ticketed on AA, same flight now LESS$

New here, excuse if wrong forum:

AA Gold Member- Recently ticketed a non refundable ticket LGA-ORD, and fare went down on my latest search to buy another ticket for a companion on the same flight.
I tried to get a "credit" for the difference on my original flight, (could have sworn I received credits before for similar instances in past). AA refused to offer me the difference without me first paying a $100 change fee (thereby offsetting the difference!). Is this new policy for exact flights & fare class that have a drop in fare?

Thanks!
nyflyerboy is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:34 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by nyflyerboy
New here, excuse if wrong forum:

AA Gold Member- Recently ticketed a non refundable ticket LGA-ORD, and fare went down on my latest search to buy another ticket for a companion on the same flight.
I tried to get a "credit" for the difference on my original flight, (could have sworn I received credits before for similar instances in past). AA refused to offer me the difference without me first paying a $100 change fee (thereby offsetting the difference!). Is this new policy for exact flights & fare class that have a drop in fare?

Thanks!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AA.com lowest fare guarantee should apply here if it's same exact flights and same exact fare code letter.

Assuming you didn't do something bad like buy it on another travel site that is...
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:37 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by Flailey
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AA.com lowest fare guarantee should apply here if it's same exact flights and same exact fare code letter.

Assuming you didn't do something bad like buy it on another travel site that is...
The poster didn't say how long it's been since purchase, but the Lowest Fare Guarantee is only good on the same day if memory servers. After 24 hours I think you are stuck with the change fee unless the ticket is refundable.
Tambreet is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Posts: 1,598
AA used to allow refaring for free, but they changed that policy (last year sometime?). Now you have to pay the change fee except on international tickets (where refaring is still free).
acf573 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Miami,Sydney
Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Posts: 273
Isnt the AA.com Guarantee only valid within 24 hrs of purchase though. ??

I think a number of threads have discussed the price difference thing before, and I dont believe you are entitled to a refund if it goes down. It may be different for Int'l flights, not sure Thems the breaks, thats why they have sales, and the prices change from week to week.
JAppelbee is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:43 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
Posts: 59
Found the Fine Print

It's got to be SAME DAY to find a lower fare in order to get a credit - otherwise, change fee applies.

Wow there's alot of fine print involved here..........
nyflyerboy is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:44 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: QLA
Programs: SBUX Gold
Posts: 14,506
Low-fare guarantee is only good if you find a lower fare within 24 hours (confirmed that with Web Services vs. "same" calendar day).

To OP... sorry, the market dictates the price, and you ended up paying a premium by buying earlier... what you get is availability. The longer you wait, the more risk, and price may change up OR down.

To answer your question... yes, it's policy to pay the change fee (dependent on your fare). So if the price difference is more than the change fee (whether it's $30 or $100) you get the difference.
IceTrojan is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:46 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by Flailey
Correct me if I'm wrong but the AA.com lowest fare guarantee should apply here if it's same exact flights and same exact fare code letter.

Assuming you didn't do something bad like buy it on another travel site that is...
Ok, you're wrong.

The lowest fare guarantee applies if you find a cheaper, identical fare on another travel website. It has nothing to do with the fare increasing between the time the first ticket is purchased and the time the traveler decides to buy a second ticket for a companion.
FWAAA is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:01 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ok, you're wrong.

The lowest fare guarantee applies if you find a cheaper, identical fare on another travel website. It has nothing to do with the fare increasing between the time the first ticket is purchased and the time the traveler decides to buy a second ticket for a companion.
If he had bought one ticket and then went to buy another and found a lower fare same day it would indeed apply. The OP isn't clear... but yes I should have mentioned the same day rule in order to give better info, since reading it now it's definitely implied that one was purchased long before the other.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:11 pm
  #10  
925
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 2,849
Originally Posted by acf573
AA used to allow refaring for free, but they changed that policy (last year sometime?). Now you have to pay the change fee except on international tickets (where refaring is still free).
Which definition of "international" does AA use here? Is Caribbean deemed international for free re-faring?
925 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:13 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Posts: 4,922
Originally Posted by acf573
AA used to allow refaring for free, but they changed that policy (last year sometime?). Now you have to pay the change fee except on international tickets (where refaring is still free).
Is it really still free on international? Including deep discount tix? Good to know, if it is.
lili is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:16 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by Flailey
If he had bought one ticket and then went to buy another and found a lower fare same day it would indeed apply. The OP isn't clear... but yes I should have mentioned the same day rule in order to give better info, since reading it now it's definitely implied that one was purchased long before the other.
No, you're still wrong:

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/guarantee.jhtml

AA's aa.com lowest fare guarantee requires that you find a lower fare on some other website, so I respectfully disagree with you.

So many answers, so little advice
FWAAA is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:21 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, you're still wrong:

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/guarantee.jhtml

AA's aa.com lowest fare guarantee requires that you find a lower fare on some other website, so I respectfully disagree with you.

So many answers, so little advice
If he'd bought it on AA this morning, say and now there was a lower published fare this afternoon then he would go find it on any website that shows fares and prove it and get his refund. There's nothing incorrect at all about that, if it was indeed same day.

In retrospect I was wrong, in the sense that yeah when I read his post again he says "recently" which would probably not be today or you'd say "this morning". So my sincere apologies, should have mentioned that, sort of assumed he was booking one after the other for a trip and had one person see a much lower fare than the other, which happens all the time -- hey you go see if you can get this flight and I will too, so we'll fly together.

I hope you can find a way to forgive me.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ok, you're wrong.

The lowest fare guarantee applies if you find a cheaper, identical fare on another travel website. It has nothing to do with the fare increasing between the time the first ticket is purchased and the time the traveler decides to buy a second ticket for a companion.
You beat me to it - AA is running this guarantee to drive traffic to AA.com. I'm sure AA would love to see Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, et. al., go the way of the dinosaur.

As another poster mentioned, prices on the AA.com site are very fluid - when you hit the Confirm button to buy there, you're basically saying you accept the price... unless you can convince them you're 8 yr son or Labrador Retriever got on your PC and did it. :-)
West Coast Ace is offline  
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:28 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
You beat me to it - AA is running this guarantee to drive traffic to AA.com. I'm sure AA would love to see Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, et. al., go the way of the dinosaur.
All the more ironic as AA was a major investor in, and one of the founders of Orbitz. Though I don't believe they have any stake in it now.
Flailey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread