FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Typical loads in Nov to GRU? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/530933-typical-loads-nov-gru.html)

dAAzedone Feb 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Typical loads in Nov to GRU?

I have 2 F, 2 J and 3 Y awards booked:

AA995 MIA-GRU 11-Nov-06
AA950 GRU-JFK 20-Nov-06

I wanted to put us all in J, but there is no way I could get 7 J awards on the same flight. I could not even get 7 Y seats. I know more might open up later, but I need to get this booked now since it is for a family wedding.

It is early in the game, so obviously the seatmaps on EF show Y wide open. What are the typical loads in Y during that time of year? I was just wondering if those in my group in Y are going to have some room to spread out. Being able to spread out in Y on a 777 is probably better than than J anyway.

Usually the loads are light right before Thanksgiving, but I have never gone to Brazil before, so I have no clue.

Thanks for your help.

oiRRio Feb 27, 2006 5:21 am

Hard to tell re loads. Day of the week may be just as important as time of the year. AA995 seems to be one of the less popular flights to Brasil i.e. usually easy to get award seats on.

BTW, have you looked at availability on TAM and JAL (or even LA thru SCL) for your J awards?

DCAstudent Feb 27, 2006 9:41 am

There have been a few threads about TAM having no capacity controls on award tickets. If those posts were correct (and the policy still stands), why don'y you book 7 J tickets on TAM?

I have never been on a full 995 MIA-GRU. Most of the time less than half of J is taken. I can't think of anything in Brazil that would make November any different.

As for JFK, that flight is normally much more crowded, but Delta is adding service so that might take a little of AA's traffic.

I think it is worth checking into TAM.

oiRRio Feb 27, 2006 10:07 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
There have been a few threads about TAM having no capacity controls on award tickets. If those posts were correct (and the policy still stands), why don'y you book 7 J tickets on TAM?

I'm not convinced that is the case for AA miles but if the OP asks and reports back then we'll know. :)

DCAstudent Feb 27, 2006 10:17 am

Definitely let us know...

If you do a search, there have been two threads about it that I remember, one on TAM and one comparing TAM and Varig. I think the final consensus was that TAM (then) had no capacity controls for its own frequent flyers or its partners' whereas Varig had no controls for its own elite members, but controls for everyone else.

oiRRio Feb 27, 2006 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
If you do a search, there have been two threads about it that I remember, one on TAM and one comparing TAM and Varig. I think the final consensus was that TAM (then) had no capacity controls for its own frequent flyers or its partners' whereas Varig had no controls for its own elite members, but controls for everyone else.

I think it was more a hope than a consensus. IIRC the view that it applied to partners was put forward by one poster (albeit one who is very reliable on Brasil related matters). Hopefully we shall soon have more concrete info.