Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$250 fee to upgrade ORD-LHR .... worth it??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage GLD, UA mileage Plus
Red face $250 fee to upgrade ORD-LHR .... worth it??

Hey guys,

I am new to Flyertalk, this is my first post. I am meeting my parents in London for a long weekend (arrive Friday, leave Monday)and want to upgrade to business on the 777. However, the $250 in addition to the 25,000 miles seemed a little excessive. Ive gone back and forth between London and Chicago a few times on those 777's and biz looks nice but not necessarily that nice. I just want to be able to sleep so I am rested since I am coming back a few short days later. But, I am a college student and the extra $250 is a little much for me. I am fortunate to be able to have traveled a lot but I don't get to upgrade at all, I rely on my miles to get me free tickets when I wouldn't be able to otherwise afford them. So my question to you more experienced ff's, is it worth it? Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by Explorin92
Hey guys,

I am new to Flyertalk, this is my first post. I am meeting my parents in London for a long weekend (arrive Friday, leave Monday)and want to upgrade to business on the 777. However, the $250 in addition to the 25,000 miles seemed a little excessive. Ive gone back and forth between London and Chicago a few times on those 777's and biz looks nice but not necessarily that nice. I just want to be able to sleep so I am rested since I am coming back a few short days later. But, I am a college student and the extra $250 is a little much for me. I am fortunate to be able to have traveled a lot but I don't get to upgrade at all, I rely on my miles to get me free tickets when I wouldn't be able to otherwise afford them. So my question to you more experienced ff's, is it worth it? Thanks!
Since you state your miles are valuable to you (ie assuming that you don't have tons of them, and you use them to buy tickets with them, and this could prevent you from that at some point soon) then the question is do you want to spend about $600-700 to upgrade. That's based on a rough calculation that the potential award ticket you might forsake would cost you $300-400 ballpark, plus the cash cost.

That's a fair amount of money for a college student. I can't tell you what flying in business is worth to YOU, only you can answer that. You say you've seen the cabin on the same model plane so your judgement of its worth is probably reasonable. So based on your values and financial situation would you pay that amount to upgrade. I might, but I have too many miles. You might not.

Also, food for thought -- you can upgrade just one of the legs and not the other, so if it's an overnight one way consider that if you want to sleep, or if you want to be awake and "enjoy" the service and/or will have to get up the next day on the return and go to work then consider that too.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:53 pm

It really depend how much you value your miles and is 500 bucks too costly for you. since you are a college student and uses miles for free tickets, I would suggest not to upgrade, but it is really up to you.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
There are a lot of factors here, which you will know better than we will. Since you fly a lot, you probably know how well you sleep in coach on a redeye. We don't know. You know how tall you are. We don't. You know how well you adjust to jet lag. We don't. You know how understanding your parents are, how long it has been since you saw them, how well you get along with them, how important the hours with them are to you. We don't.

There are two values here, the value of additional comfort during the flight, and the value of the added sleep during the weekend. I think that the added comfort during the flight wouldn't be worth the $75/hr cost of the copay and the miles to someone in your position. The subsequent weekend depends on all the factors listed above.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:21 pm

Of course check with your personal physician, but here is a pertinent comparison if you just want to be well rested.

Cost of 4 Benadryl = 38 cents
OR Not AND
Cost of 1 Ambien = $2

Cost of Upgrade = $250 plus 25,000 miles
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:28 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by Explorin92
Hey guys, I just want to be able to sleep so I am rested since I am coming back a few short days later.
Assuming you aren't platinum since you'd have mentioned it, you can get to the airport really really early and try for 31AB HJ if they aren't already taken by platinums or better, or try for bulkhead row 30 assigned only on day of departure. If you're lucky you'll get enough legroom to sleep
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'm in your same boat, I don't have a huge number of miles, but enough to get me where I want to go when my financial situation doesn't allow for it. I'm also in college.

For me, $250 and 25,000 miles isn't worth it. I'd probably spring for the J class award ticket from the get go before paying the money and the miles on top of your Y fare.

But I don't know that flying J class is all that important to me anyway, I'm young, Y class seats don't bother me all that much.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cme2c
Of course check with your personal physician, but here is a pertinent comparison if you just want to be well rested.

Cost of 4 Benadryl = 38 cents
OR Not AND
Cost of 1 Ambien = $2

Cost of Upgrade = $250 plus 25,000 miles
Wow I want to know where you get $2 Ambien!

As for the upgrade- I would consider upgrading the overnight outbound segment. I have to say, though, once you try it, you're not going to want to go back to Y.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peatisback
Many places around the globe-- jus' gotta' ask for Stilnox (which is what Ambien is.) I stock up when in places like S. Africa. For that matter, the physician at SYD airport sells 'em pretty cheap as well. And, of course, Mexico, if you dare..
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:00 pm
Suspended

As for the upgrade- I would consider upgrading the overnight outbound segment. I have to say, though, once you try it, you're not going to want to go back to Y.

Lemme guess, does it involve a Blue Cross?

That's actually good advice, you're a college student. Think of the most neurotic girl you know from a wealthy family in the dorm, and go ask her for a handful of xanax. She's got it, trust me.

I'd take 4mg of xanax or klonopin and a Y seat over paying for a J upgrade almost any day. Though of course having both is like floating on cotton balls.

My last post was vague, rational, encouraging you to use your value system. In reality upon reflection it's obvious -- just don't do it. Miles are miles, you can use them for whatever, but all those miles AND the cash for a flight that ain't all that insane (think of NYC > HKG or DEL, etc...) and it's too hard to justify. Don't do it. Do find a doctor that specializes in "medication management" and tell them you have major problems where you get freaked out on planes from the confined spaces and are overwhelmed with anxiety and you've found from previous doctors that 1mg xanax pills have worked well. He'll save you the hassle.

And since nobody has said it, you're borderline on a gold challenge here, depending on fare class and what other flights you have in the 90 days surrounding this trip. If you haven't already dug into that world now's a good time to start making sure you know how it works. Unless of course you already have status, which I don't see in your profile.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Many places around the globe-- jus' gotta' ask for Stilnox (which is what Ambien is.) I stock up when in places like S. Africa. For that matter, the physician at SYD airport sells 'em pretty cheap as well. And, of course, Mexico, if you dare..
Don't forget SE Asia... Vietnam, Cambodia, etc... they sell everything (except narcotics like percoset) on almost every corner.

I cant stand ambien, doesn't make me sleep, just hallucinate and get severely tweaked. But many swear by it so don't take my word for it. I vote for xanax for medium or short flights and Klonpin for the nasty 10 hour plus ones. $.02 only of course.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Lol there are only a few other countries outside of the US and Europe I trust meds from. Mexico has yet to make that cut.

BTW the generic for Ambien is zolpideml; Stilnox is the brand name used in the rest of the world (thanks, senofi aventis).

Flailey- my Blue Cross/Shield doesn't cover it unfortunately. I paid $40 for 10 the last time I had to actually buy them. And watch out for the pain docs- they tend not to like 'drug seekers' (asking for a specific drug is one of the most obvious give-aways, especially when we offer something very similar and people are adamant about a specific brand name).

Come to think of it, 14 hrs. on QF in Y with an Ambien was great (though not advised at all, a glass of wine also helped). Save your miles and cash.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Lol there are only a few other countries outside of the US and Europe I trust meds from. Mexico has yet to make that cut.

BTW the generic for Ambien is zolpideml; Stilnox is the brand name used in the rest of the world (thanks, senofi aventis).
I'm talking about buying from actual pharmacies in 1st world countries-- not street dealers or Mexico. I know -ALL- the names for Stilnox-- believe me. I'm not an amateur at this.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Flailey- my Blue Cross/Shield doesn't cover it unfortunately. I paid $40 for 10 the last time I had to actually buy them. And watch out for the pain docs- they tend not to like 'drug seekers' (asking for a specific drug is one of the most obvious give-aways, especially when we offer something very similar and people are adamant about a specific brand name).

Come to think of it, 14 hrs. on QF in Y with an Ambien was great (though not advised at all, a glass of wine also helped). Save your miles and cash.
New York City, upper east side. They don't mess around. Hi, I'm flying to SE asia for a week and a zhalf. I need malarone and both 2mg Klonopins and 1mg Xanax's for the 15 hour flight and 12 hour time change adjustment. I'm not a kid anymore and I know what works.

In and out in 10 minutes, no hassle. I'm over 30 though, college kid might have a different reaction, as might another doctor. On the UES though I got 60 of each kind... "so you don't need to come back for awhile" without hesitation though. NYC runs on those drugs. Same office was stingy with percosets WHEN I HAD A BROKEN RIB and I had to ask like four times for real meds when I could barely stand up or breathe. But they didn't give a damm about benzos. But anyways...

To *try* to keep that on-topic, getting something to knock you out is really the thing to do, will save you almost a grand equivalent and you'll be just as happy. Try it.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flailey
New York City, upper east side. They don't mess around. Hi, I'm flying to SE asia for a week and a zhalf. I need malarone and both 2mg Klonopins and 1mg Xanax's for the 15 hour flight and 12 hour time change adjustment. I'm not a kid anymore and I know what works.

In and out in 10 minutes, no hassle. I'm over 30 though, college kid might have a different reaction, as might another doctor. On the UES though I got 60 of each kind... "so you don't need to come back for awhile" without hesitation though. NYC runs on those drugs. Same office was stingy with percosets WHEN I HAD A BROKEN RIB and I had to ask like four times for real meds when I could barely stand up or breathe. But they didn't give a damm about benzos. But anyways...

To *try* to keep that on-topic, getting something to knock you out is really the thing to do, will save you almost a grand equivalent and you'll be just as happy. Try it.
Sorry to turn it in to a bit of a pharmacology discussion.

That's quite a regiement, Flailey- but as you say, you know what works. Then again benzos are a little different from oxycodone and the other opiates/opioids/derivatives.

Jon- you're certainly no amateur. 12K+ posts and your extensive travels elevate you a few levels past that. I'll def have to pick up some ambien/stilnox/zolpidem when I'm in SYD again.

Explorin92- I take it you don't have elite status with AA. Keep an eye out for the exit row seats should they become available due to an elite upgrade clearing. If nothing opens up before the day of your flight, check in early and keep checking.

And of course, consider signing up for a challenge so that you'll be able to book the exit row seats without a problem (not to mention all the other benefits). A search will yield lots of info on both the seats and challenges (with the sticky being a great resource too). Good luck with whatever you choose!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.