40 min enough to connect T9->T8 at JFK?

Old Feb 26, 06, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
40 min enough to connect T9->T8 at JFK?

I did a search, but did not find a conclusive answer, so here's my question. Some friends of mine are flying AA from STL to FCO via JFK. Their flight from STL to JFK got re-timed, leaving them with just 40 minutes to connect to the FCO flight. This seems awfully tight to me as the slightest delay into JFK will likely result in a misconnect. And since there's only one flight to FCO, that'd mean losing a whole day of their vacation.

Any comments on how big a risk misconnecting is under this scenario?

FWIW, I recommended that they call AA to see if they can get an earlier flight out of STL.
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
Piggybacking on your question, I'm wondering if 1 hr is enough from T9 to T8 at 10:30 pm. My guess would be that there would be very short lines at that hour. I'm concerned now that I've read about how big the new T9 is. Hope someone can offer us help. My T8 flight is the last of the night to LHR and I'd hate to miss it.
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:33 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
49 Min is ok according to AA

I have a 49 minute connection time next week at JFK T9-T8. I called AA and asked if I can take the flight 1 hour earlier LAX-JFK without a change fee and they said 49 min is a legal connection T9-T8 and they would charge me the change fee if I wanted to switch flights. YMMV.
The other month I did the same flights and my flight came in 20 min late. However due to my OJ running abilities I was able to make it over to T8 with 15 minutes to spare. (took 10 min to get through security)

Remember you have to go to through security again when you change terminals.
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:39 pm

40 minutes is definitely absolutely not enough time if you have to change terminals. (An hour is pushing it, although late at night it's probably just about OK.)

By the time you're out of T9, down the road and through security, your preassigned seats will have been given away if the flight is oversold.

Three points to bear in mind, though:
(1) The flight is a 767, which means there's a chance it'll depart from T9 anyway;
(2) There are five more flights to London after the Rome flight that night, so chances are you'll get on one of those and connect at Heathrow to a short hop to Rome. So you're unlikely to lose more than half a day.
(3) There is only one STL-JFK flight per day, so you can't just get an earlier flight.

Your best bet is to call AA, say 'that connection is ridiculous' and get put on the flight via ORD (they should be amenable to this without a change fee given that they changed the schedule on you). Leaves St Louis the same time (12:40pm), arrives in Rome half an hour later (7:50am), still only one connection (and it's an hour and three quarters in Chicago) and you don't have to spend three hours in a jungle jet!
Old Feb 26, 06, 7:15 pm

As an aside, JFK ground ops are notorious for delayed baggage handling. If you have checked luggage, I would recommend taking an earlier flight as there is a strong likelihood your bags will not make the flight. See other threads on this topic.
Old Feb 27, 06, 12:49 am

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by marlborobell
Your best bet is to call AA, say 'that connection is ridiculous' and get put on the flight via ORD (they should be amenable to this without a change fee given that they changed the schedule on you). Leaves St Louis the same time (12:40pm), arrives in Rome half an hour later (7:50am), still only one connection (and it's an hour and three quarters in Chicago) and you don't have to spend three hours in a jungle jet!

I second this idea - 40 minutes just isn't enough time to switch buildings. Even if everything is on time, it is a stressful connection, and as others have mentioned, you do have to go through security again.
Old Feb 27, 06, 12:54 am

Not to be blunt but this is a disaster waiting to happen. I tried the same thing with a tight connection of 45 min at JFK and got burned. Whatever anyone says on the phone to you has no significance. They will do want on the ground! Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 06, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Many thanks to all. I figured it'd be too tight, as 40 minutes is cutting it close even at the more efficient airports. (MCT at MUC is something like 20 minutes, and I've made it, but it's not much fun....) We'll see if we can get AA to rebook.
Old Feb 27, 06, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I agree with the ultimate conclusion that a 40-minute connection is unwise, but disagree that it's a problem if the first flight arrives on time. If the first flight were to arrive on time, I think 40 minutes is more than enough time to walk between buildings and reclear security. That said, the significant risk that the STL-JFK flight will be late leads me to the same conclusion that your friends should try to get AA to move them to an earlier flight.
Old Mar 17, 06, 8:31 pm

Is 1 hour enough from T9 to T8? I have AA16 SFO-JFK then AA132 JFK-LHR on May 23rd with one carry-on.
Old Mar 17, 06, 8:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by thqu60
Is 1 hour enough from T9 to T8? I have AA16 SFO-JFK then AA132 JFK-LHR on May 23rd with one carry-on.
Answered in post #4 with the notation "pushing it". And that's the case. It will be a close call. Depends on the security line at T8. Check the other posts in this thread. it's all been answered.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 06, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Echoing others, 1 hr connection from T9 to T8 depends on time. At that hour if the first flight is on time, you're fine. During the 5-6pm rush the security lines at T8 would make it very marginal.

If you take that, I'd at least check the load on AA116 two hours later to make sure you have a backup.

Sami
Old Apr 16, 06, 5:02 pm

Does anyone know what the min connect time is from BA's T7 to T9 (the new terminal)? There is a CX-AA connection that I want to take and the schedule has the time as 1:20. I know it may be close, but it is at 9:30 PM. The last 3 times that I went thru JFK at that hour, there is no one in the security lines. And with a simple duffle bag carry-on, it is quick.
Old Apr 16, 06, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
what times your flight to london?
one hour should be more than enough if its later in the evening
if its earlier you might have a longer wait at security, but then again it doesnt matter so much as there are plenty of later aa flights they can switch you to

also the sfo to jfk flights are very rarely late in the summer!

good luck
Old Apr 17, 06, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by sohony
what times your flight to london?
one hour should be more than enough if its later in the evening
if its earlier you might have a longer wait at security, but then again it doesnt matter so much as there are plenty of later aa flights they can switch you to

also the sfo to jfk flights are very rarely late in the summer!

good luck
My flight to London is at 9:30pm. I've been checking the arrival and departure gates for flights 16 and 132 and most of the times flight 16 arrives at T9 and flight 132 departs from T9. So hopefully I won't have to change terminals.

Search this Thread