Recommend laptop briefcase for travel?

Old Feb 25, 06, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Question Recommend laptop briefcase for travel?

The shoulder strap just went on my old laptop bag, so I'm in the market for a new one. What I'm looking for:
- durable (obviously!)
- Can carry a large laptop (17" screen) as well as books and papers.
- Flexible organization for wires, accessories, wires, gadgets, wires...
- Easy to get the laptop in and out (security and inflight)
- Sleeve for carrying on top of my rollaboard suitcase
- No wheels (see above)
- Some kind of shoulder strap that lets me sling it across my back (or backpack style)

And and all recommendations welcome - thanks!

Philo
Old Feb 25, 06, 3:29 pm

What does this have to do with AA? You should post this is the travel section.
Old Feb 25, 06, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Philoj
The shoulder strap just went on my old laptop bag, so I'm in the market for a new one. What I'm looking for:
- durable (obviously!)
- No wheels (see above)
- Some kind of shoulder strap that lets me sling it across my back (or backpack style)

Philo
While this doesen't belong here the best I have used is LowePro's Madison. Except for the sleeve ( use a hook instead) , it has everything and LowePro has the best straps in the bag business.
Old Feb 25, 06, 8:43 pm

My Favorite

I have a Tumi that has built in rollers. When I travel, it hangs off of my rollerboard. When I have it by itself, the handle extends like a rollerboard and I can tow it. It has three internal sections, with one padded for a laptop. It also has a zipper case for laptop power supply, mouse, TP cable, etc. It also has an external zipper pocket for cell phone, PDA, etc. It just fits under the seat in front.
Old Feb 26, 06, 1:28 am

- durable (obviously!)
- No wheels (see above)

Philo
My Brenthaven ballistic nylon expandable laptop briefcase is now going on five years of rough international travel. Highly recommended. www.brenthaven.com
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
- durable (obviously!)
- No wheels (see above)

Philo
I would recommend one with an changeable strap, in case you wear one out again.
Old Feb 26, 06, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
This One - lifetime guarantee (including damage caused by airline)
Old Feb 26, 06, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
I have a Briggs&Riley which is great.
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I have a Briggs&Riley which is great.
Don't know about their computer cases - I'm happy with a wheelie TravelPro I got at Costco about 4 years ago - but I'm really tired of my large B&R suitcases. After 4 years of just pleasure travel they began to need a trip to the shop after every holiday. Sure, they'll fix 'em for free forever, but I'm really tired of that. Mostly seams and zippers.
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Don't know about their computer cases - I'm happy with a wheelie TravelPro I got at Costco about 4 years ago - but I'm really tired of my large B&R suitcases. After 4 years of just pleasure travel they began to need a trip to the shop after every holiday. Sure, they'll fix 'em for free forever, but I'm really tired of that. Mostly seams and zippers.

I just got mine, so we'll see how it wears. However, it's pretty light, and the laptop sleeve comes out, which is key, because I rarely use it. It also wasn't particularly expensive, and I don't stuff it full, or check it through. All I know is that it was about 60% less than the comparable Tumi, and I've not had great luck with some of my Tumi luggage.
Old Feb 26, 06, 8:57 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Plt AA, DIA HHONORS, Hertz PC
If you like a cordura bag, I've had good luck with Victronix/Swiss Army bags. They have a wide range of sizes for those of us that carry too much, and some smaller ones to discourage overloading.

But like everyone else's suggestions, this is such a personal choice. Kind of like choosing a purse. (did I say that?)
Old Feb 26, 06, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
This One - lifetime guarantee (including damage caused by airline)
I've got this bag, too. It's been great, and unlike my Tumi bag, it didn't cost me an arm and leg and then practically fall apart in less than one year.
Old Feb 26, 06, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by bpauker
I've got this bag, too. It's been great, and unlike my Tumi bag, it didn't cost me an arm and leg and then practically fall apart in less than one year.
Surprised that with the Tumi prices there would be some complaints about them falling apart especially at price points from $325 to $550.

the Briggs and Riley shows a weight of 5.2 lbs. I am trying to decide if that is considered heavy for a laptop bag. Anyone know how this weight compares to a Tumi comparable model? Interesting that Tumi doesn't list the weights of their laptop cases. I had been leaning towards a Tumi but now will have to consider the Briggs & Riley.
Old Feb 26, 06, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I exaggerate about the Tumi bag. First of all, my Tumi is a rollaboard and not a laptop bag, so I'm comparing apples to oranges. And when I say "fallen apart", I'm referring to little things like the zippers breaking off.

When I was shopping for a laptop bag, I was leaning towards a Tumi just so my pieces would match. However, I decided on the B & R because the warranty is outstanding. It is extremely well built. I paid about $180 for my bag when it was new. Tumi's might look cool, but to me, the huge price premium is absolutely not worth it. When my Tumi rollaboard dies, I will not replace it with another Tumi.
Old Feb 27, 06, 9:17 am

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
...It also wasn't particularly expensive, and I don't stuff it full, or check it through. All I know is that it was about 60% less than the comparable Tumi, and I've not had great luck with some of my Tumi luggage.
I've had my Tumi luggage (pre-Generation 4.4) Expandable Flap Computer Brief in Ballistic Nylon and a Tumi carry-on for 2-years, with no issues in craftsmanship. And while it was expensive, it is holding up to my 150K/yr travel needs - tof course I never check my bags. -sd

Search this Thread