Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F lunch service?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

F lunch service?

My wife and I are flying F Iad Dfw this wed. It has been over 6 months since I have flown and I understand there has been a significant reduction in meal service. Can any one tell me what to expect? Should I buy something to take on board? Thanks for the help
JMJ
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:09 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
what time does the flight leave? if its anytime between 12-1 p.m., my guess would be: choice of chicken salad or turkey wrap, served with small dill pickle, a tiny salad (and I mean tiny). For dessert, plan on prepackaged cookies.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

The flight departs @ 11:47 a.m.
JMJ
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
These days the Turkey wrap has been replaced by a Turkey croissant (swiss cheese). A tiny improvement. My last flight ORD-LGA was catered as 6 chicken salad and 10 turkey croissants. Apple sauce cookies for desert (didn't look like anybody ate them, they are pretty vile). The chicken salad is sliced breast of chicken over lettuce and capers (not much else on the salad, and it isn't "chicken salad" but chicken with salad).
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

By the way are they still doing FEBO?
jmj
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG
Yep. In the end, the best bet is to either take a small snack with you or eat something at the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by number_6
These days the Turkey wrap has been replaced by a Turkey croissant (swiss cheese). A tiny improvement. My last flight ORD-LGA was catered as 6 chicken salad and 10 turkey croissants. Apple sauce cookies for desert (didn't look like anybody ate them, they are pretty vile). The chicken salad is sliced breast of chicken over lettuce and capers (not much else on the salad, and it isn't "chicken salad" but chicken with salad).
Actually it depend which airport your are leaving from. Out of BOS, I almost always get the Turkey Wrap or Chicken Salad on Foccacia bread, but out of ORD and STL I tend to get the Trukey Criossant or Sliced Breast of Chicken on Salad option. Regardless, the dessert IME has been teh Diamond Walnut Shortbread Cookies.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:50 am

Programs: Various
F Lunch on SEA-ORD 11:17AM MD80

No Pre Drinks
No Menus-Beverage Orders Taken Pre Departure

Warm Nuts and Beverage Arrives First, then comes meal.

Choices Are Given As:

Turkey Croissant or Chicken Pasta

What Arrives: (Brought On a standard aisle cart -not to be confused with a trolley or classy/shiney cart):

COLD Croissant with Sliced Turkey and Swiss Cheese, 1 oz Salad of mixed greens and a few veggies/olives & Greek Vinegarette, Water Crackers, Cheese Spread, Mussleman's Mini Applesauce Cookies (Crunchy)

COLD Sliced Smoked Chicken Breast, 2 oz of cold penne pasta, 1 oz Salad of mixed greens and a few veggies/olives & Greek Vinegarette, Water Crackers, Cheese Spread, Mussleman's Mini Applesauce Cookies (Crunchy)

Food comes on china, entire meal is on one plate/tray (No course service), plastic cutlery, glasses used for beverages, cloth napkin, paper packets of S&P.

No hot towels, no rolls, no slice of cake/ice cream desert, no snack/cookie prior to landing.

One additional pass through of beverages, and choice of a red or white wine with meal, served in petite wine glasses.

Not complaining, but this is what I remember being served on USAir in Coach in 1991, (minus the nuts; beverage would be served in a disposable cup) First class is now all about the seat.

Since this is MDog (goes without saying) no IFE.

On the return I was in coach, didn't watch the whole deal, but I did notice the FA passing a basket around with bread/rolls, so possibly a bit nicer service out of ORD. Maybe somebody could report some other routings.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This doesn't appeal to me at all.

I actually prefer to munch a BOB snack box, bring my own goodies or both. This lunch is a pretense of lunch! I asked for a Bailey's Irish Cream and they had to hunt for one. Found it! At least in the front cabin you can get a Baileys!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
Apple sauce cookies for desert (didn't look like anybody ate them, they are pretty vile).
They indeed are! Tried them once, left most behind. Made the mistake not to read the ingredients first: instead of being flour, sugar, butter and apple or such things, it's a mix of artificial flavors and chemical ingredients hard to spell. Bleh!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
They indeed are! Tried them once, left most behind. Made the mistake not to read the ingredients first: instead of being flour, sugar, butter and apple or such things, it's a mix of artificial flavors and chemical ingredients hard to spell. Bleh!
At least if there going to put all that stuff in them, they could add something to make them soft.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Robt760
S&P.

No hot towels, no rolls, no slice of cake/ice cream desert, no snack/cookie prior to landing.

Are the hot towels gone across the board? Didn't get one in F last week SFO-BOS, though I did get one on the outbound. Also, has anyone else noticed that the cloth napkins are a lot coarser than they used to be?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:52 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
That dreaded turkey wrap

This seems like as good a place as any to post "good riddance" to the turkey wrap. I'll try just about anything. Well, not really. I had sense enough not to even try the Egg Salad Wrap a few months back. But I'll try most things.

The turkey wrap they introduced, I believe in January, was really gross. It was soaked in a greasy mayonaissey glop that was just totally revolting. I sent 'em a very descriptive e-mail as I"m sure many others did too. I thought AA introduced new menus only every 3 months or so, and we were stuck with the Turkey Glop Wrap until April. Yet it appears AA pulled the turkey wrap after just one month. See, they do listen to us.

Of course maybe I'm just dreaming and maybe the dreaded turkey wrap is still around on some routes. I haven't seen it in February. Let's hope it's gone. I do applaud AA's willingness to experiment, but mainly I applaud their willingness to quickly admit and correct mistakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.