FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Quick question about PLAT challenge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/530466-quick-question-about-plat-challenge.html)

DrBeeper Feb 25, 2006 10:15 am

Quick question about PLAT challenge

One of my colleagues has switched from CO to AA. She currently has no status with AA, but will likely fly about 75K per year. Without any status, can she do the PLAT challenge? Or does she have to wait until she gets GOLD status first? Its been so long that I don't remember.

dba Feb 25, 2006 10:21 am

You do not need gold status to do the PLAT challenge, and having Gold status confers no benefits as far as completing the PLAT challenge goes -- it's still the same 10,000 EQP.

DrBeeper Feb 25, 2006 10:26 am

Originally Posted by dba
You do not need gold status to do the PLAT challenge, and having Gold status confers no benefits as far as completing the PLAT challenge goes -- it's still the same 10,000 EQP.

Whoops! I told her 7,000k (nice memory).

Thanks!

dba Feb 25, 2006 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DrBeeper
Whoops! I told her 7,000k (nice memory).
Thanks!

You're welcome. You might have been thinking 7,000 because if she flies 7,000 miles in a booking class worth 1.5 EQP/mile (B,Y, or any business/first class) then she'll get the 10,000 points.

While we're on the topic: does anyone know if any other airlines have similar challenges available, or is it just AA?

gemac Feb 25, 2006 11:11 am

Originally Posted by dba
You're welcome. You might have been thinking 7,000 because if she flies 7,000 miles in a booking class worth 1.5 EQP/mile (B,Y, or any business/first class) then she'll get the 10,000 points.

While we're on the topic: does anyone know if any other airlines have similar challenges available, or is it just AA?

Just AA, AFAIK, but other airlines will match status (once-in-a-lifetime offer).

DrBeeper Feb 25, 2006 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dba

That would be giving me credit for thought - a terrible assumption!

I think AA is the only one. That is why my colleague wants to do it. She was looking at UA, but the international connections through IAD are terrible. I fly there often to visit a company near Dulles and I dread it. Sort of like Southwest Air took the service for a terminal. Back to the point, you have to wait until 50K for PREMEXEC and have limited upgrade potential to the west coast. So, the PLAT challenge is a big draw for new AA flyers.