AA to AS connection at LAX

Old Feb 25, 06, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
AA to AS connection at LAX

Hi all,

I tried to search to get my answer but wasn't able to find it too easily. Am planning a trip to the West Coast to see family and in order to get more miles am considering a connection in LAX from AA to AS. I know that there is a shuttle that runs between T4 and T3 (at least according to AA.com) but have never actually used it or physically seen it when I have flown in/out/through LAX. The itinerary I am looking at has just under 2 hr connection time in LAX. Is the shuttle a pretty reliable transfer between the two terminals? I know that LAX can be crazy in the morning (my connection time) and I would hate to have to leave the secure area. If it is too much of a hassle or risk I'll just forget the extra miles.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 06, 11:17 am
askworldtraveler

t-4 to t-3 LAX

A few years back after buying TWA AA ran flights from T-3 and T-4 and for a while they did have a shuttle - however once everything went to T-4 I'm 99% certain the shuttle that ran secure is no more.

The walk is actually quite close if your comfortable walking (less then 10 min once front door to front door at a slowish pace) - and depending on time of day - security T-3 isn't too bad.

Originally Posted by chiil1974
Hi all,

I tried to search to get my answer but wasn't able to find it too easily. Am planning a trip to the West Coast to see family and in order to get more miles am considering a connection in LAX from AA to AS. I know that there is a shuttle that runs between T4 and T3 (at least according to AA.com) but have never actually used it or physically seen it when I have flown in/out/through LAX. The itinerary I am looking at has just under 2 hr connection time in LAX. Is the shuttle a pretty reliable transfer between the two terminals? I know that LAX can be crazy in the morning (my connection time) and I would hate to have to leave the secure area. If it is too much of a hassle or risk I'll just forget the extra miles.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Feb 25, 06, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Connect via Eagle Terminal

There's no longer a nonstop (or direct) shuttle from T-4 to T-3 but you can take the shuttle from either T4 or T3 to the American Eagle terminal and change there to get to either T3 or T4. If you've got nearly two hours, you'll have plenty of time.
Old Feb 25, 06, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
There's no longer a nonstop (or direct) shuttle from T-4 to T-3 but you can take the shuttle from either T4 or T3 to the American Eagle terminal and change there to get to either T3 or T4. If you've got nearly two hours, you'll have plenty of time.
Exactly correct. I've used it a number of times ove the past six months (including just two weeks ago) and it has been pretty reliable. a Number of times I have been teh only one on the shuttles from the AE terminal to teh AS gates.
Old Feb 25, 06, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I used the shuttle in October. You follow the signs to AE commuter connection or ask, go downstairs to catch the bus to commuter terminal, get off and wait for the bus to AS. Took us about 20 minutes gate-to-gate, but could take a little longer depending on how fast the busses show up. Two hours should be plenty.
Old Feb 25, 06, 12:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Shuttle is a fine way to go. You can also walk, then re-clear security at T3. Flip a coin and decide. Or do as the mood strikes. Either way, 2 hours is plenty of time.
Old Feb 25, 06, 1:03 pm

As a side note - when doing the connection the other way around (T3 to T4), the signs in T3 for the shuttle are clearly marked as being for T4 and Eagle, though it still will require the connection at the Eagle terminal.

IME, the longest this trip has ever taken me is about 20 minutes - most of which was waiting for a T3 shuttle at the Eagle terminal. The drivers are good, though, in pointing you the right direction - if you tell them where you need to go, they'll be more than happy to let you know what you need to know.

Mike
Old Mar 15, 06, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by nako
As a side note - when doing the connection the other way around (T3 to T4), the signs in T3 for the shuttle are clearly marked as being for T4 and Eagle, though it still will require the connection at the Eagle terminal.

IME, the longest this trip has ever taken me is about 20 minutes - most of which was waiting for a T3 shuttle at the Eagle terminal. The drivers are good, though, in pointing you the right direction - if you tell them where you need to go, they'll be more than happy to let you know what you need to know.

Mike
I will have to go T3-T4. I arrive AS at 9:13pm (AA 6964 from SEA) and have a 10:30 AA flight (AA 10 to JFK). Is this easily doable (the AS flight has a poor on-time record)? From reading this thread it sounds as if I use the shuttle I will not have to reclear security.
Old Mar 15, 06, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Platinum
I will have to go T3-T4. I arrive AS at 9:13pm (AA 6964 from SEA) and have a 10:30 AA flight (AA 10 to JFK). Is this easily doable (the AS flight has a poor on-time record)? From reading this thread it sounds as if I use the shuttle I will not have to reclear security.
Assuming the AS flight is on time, 77 minutes is more than enough time to use the shuttle from T3 to T4. (If the AS flight is a few minutes late, you should still be fine - anything less than 40 minutes or so, IMO, is pushing it.) You will not have to reclear security; however, you will have to transfer at the Eagle terminal.

Don't forget to have a copy of your itinerary with you if you haven't checked in for the AA flight - they'll want to see that before letting you on the shuttle.

Mike
Old Mar 15, 06, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Assuming the AS flight is on time, 77 minutes is more than enough time to use the shuttle from T3 to T4. (If the AS flight is a few minutes late, you should still be fine - anything less than 40 minutes or so, IMO, is pushing it.) You will not have to reclear security; however, you will have to transfer at the Eagle terminal.

Don't forget to have a copy of your itinerary with you if you haven't checked in for the AA flight - they'll want to see that before letting you on the shuttle.

Mike
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 06, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Mike
IME they are very strict about having proof that you are traveling on AA, otherwise it will cause you a lot of hassles!
Old Mar 15, 06, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Another issue you have to be aware of is minimum connect times. I'm not sure what AS->AA is, but I believe AA->AS is 75 minutes. If you have a 3 minute schedule change the wrong way, you could have an illegal connection. I was booked BOS-LAX-SEA through Expedia that ended up as a 70 minute connection. I didn't realize this until I got to the airport and the TA couldn't check my bag. I ended up having to pay a change fee (which AA later reversed as it was their/Expedia's fault for having the illegal connection) and having a 3 hour layover in LAX in the grungy AS terminal.
Old Mar 15, 06, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
IME they are very strict about having proof that you are traveling on AA, otherwise it will cause you a lot of hassles!
In my experience, either a boarding pass or a copy of an itinerary will suffice.
Old Mar 15, 06, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Proof of Connection to Board AE Shuttle

Originally Posted by Spiff
In my experience, either a boarding pass or a copy of an itinerary will suffice.
AS did not issue my connecting AA BP at SEA and when I arrived LAX and wanted to take the AE shuttle an agent wanted proof of a flight out of AA's T4- my baggage claim sufficed as it had "AA 32", my connecting flight number. If I do another AA/AS trip I will definitely be sure to have a copy of my ticket receipt- it would have been possible for AS to print out and itinerary in the gate area of T3 had I not had a baggage claim stub.

Definitely take the shuttle to the AE terminal and change there to the shuttle for your connecting terminal, ESPECIALLY if going T3 to T4 during the day when T4 security lines are long. Using the shuttle keeps you inside security so you won't have to reclear and drops you closer to the majority of AA's gates then entering at security.
Old Mar 15, 06, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I agree with this. That was what I was trying to say before - if you haven't checked in (meaning that you don't have a boarding pass), have a copy of your itin.

Mike

Search this Thread